What to do when I retire in 12 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do when I retire in 12 years?

With around $ 2 mil in assets on today's value and a wish to see New Zealand how would you go about it?

I could travel by house bus and roam, purchase a property in the North Island somewhere and use that as a base for six months and alternate with one in the South Island, renting it out on a six month lease alternatively with the SI one.

Those are two of the things I have considered. And, I'm just at the start of considering the options so suggestions welcome.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Buy a place in the Sun in Aus. 5 and a bit months in Aus and the rest in NZ.
    Any longer than 6 months out of the country in any one year an your NZ pension will be stopped.
    I can recommend the travelling lifestyle but NZ is to small, you will soon see everything.
    Want to see NZ - you have about 4 months of good camper van weather - two or three years should be enough to see everything.
    I have an RV parked up in the US and have spent 6 months in each of the last two years travelling there.

Comment

Nice post, a bit of escapism.

Do a house swap, go anywhere in the world

Comment

Depends... is that $2m in equity?

Originally posted by gavinc
        I have an RV parked up in the US and have spent 6 months in each of the last two years travelling there.
        That sounds like a great idea! I guess it's worth buying instead of renting if you're doing it for that long?
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post

That sounds like a great idea! I guess it's worth buying instead of renting if you're doing it for that long?
          Yes I brought - $22,000 will sell after my third trip probably for about $12,000.
          Renting even long term is over $120 per day

Comment

Originally posted by gavinc View Post
            Yes I brought - $22,000 will sell after my third trip probably for about $12,000.
            Renting even long term is over $120 per day
            I just told my wife about what you do and she says that the USA scares her. She thinks everyone is toting guns

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
              I just told my wife about what you do and she says that the USA scares her. She thinks everyone is toting guns
              Nothing to be scared about. We feel very safe there, stay away from the wrong places and no problems. We hate big cities anyway and that's where the problems are most likely. We are into national parks, lakes, beaches and nature in general - The USA has lot's of that.

Comment

Where to you park the RV when you are back in NZ?

Comment

People I know stored theirs in Richmond Vancouver.
                  They did the States for 3 trips, 1 in Canada, and 1 in Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene View Post
                    Where to you park the RV when you are back in NZ?
                    There are huge RV storage parks all over the USA. Outdoor storage costs about $75.00 per month but I opt for undercover storage (like huge barns, covered at the top but not the sides) costs USD $130 per month.
                    Last year I used this place http://www.securervstorage.com/rv-storage.php

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                      With around $ 2 mil in assets on today's value and a wish to see New Zealand how would you go about it?
                      Those are two of the things I have considered. And, I'm just at the start of considering the options so suggestions welcome.
                      What age will you be in 12 years? with 2 mil in assets (assuming no or little debt) I believe you could retire earlier than in 12 years time? If you want to?
                      I semi retired at 52 with less assets but I still do the occasional part time work - not because I need the money (but it helps) but because I get bored with to little to do

Comment

I'll be sucking on the public tit in 12 years. A few around me have come down with life threatening illnesses. Makes you reassess your goals a little.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

Many thanks.

Comment

I'll be sucking on the public tit in 12 years. A few around me have come down with life threatening illnesses. Makes you reassess your goals a little.
                            I had a couple of acquaintances kark it out of the blue - unexpected and that's what made me look at doing what I want to do now rather than waiting till I was 65.
                            It wasn't that hard - we live on about $36,000 per year, sold a property that was giving us grief and the interest and principle from that is enough to give us $36k per year until we reach 65. After 65 we only need to top up the pension by another $10k to live like we do now.

Comment

I'm 10 years younger and I'm already thinking the same thing! I'm also getting more confused about how much money I'll need to retire. The more I look at the numbers, the more I wonder how I'll ever afford the jet-setting lifestyle I aspire to!

Comment

Working...
                              X