Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you research online profiles when choosing an agent to market your property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you research online profiles when choosing an agent to market your property?

Do you currently research where your prospective agent is being seen online (and more importantly where your property will be seen online?)

In New Zealand 80% of the online population has a personal facebook profile (that equates to 2.7 million people!), and each person spends an average of 7 hours and 43 minutes per month on the social networking site. So if this is where the majority of New Zealanders are spending their time, shouldn’t real estate agents be investing time and effort into ensuring they are creating active and engaging facebook pages? Unfortunately it seems the majority of agents either don’t have a facebook page for their business, are not updating it on a regular basis, or they only add their listings and no other engaging and interesting content (which is the easiest way to encourage “hiding” updates).

An active and engaging facebook page is updated on a regular basis (at least every few days) but not often enough to start annoying fans. As well as an agent’s listings it should be updated with interesting information – property updates, images, fun posts, relevant videos, local news etc. Agents maximising facebook are creating a “hub” that those living in their area want to “like” to receive updates. Another positive reason for agents to have active and engaging facebook pages is that it shows that they value making connections and building relationships which can only be a good thing for when they are marketing your property! It also demonstrates an agent’s ability to stay relevant in an ever-changing, competitive environment.

Communication is extremely important between an agent and property owner. When discussing with your prospective agent the benefits of engaging their services to market your property you should feel comfortable asking questions. I encourage you to add a few more questions to your list such as: Do you have an active and engaging online presence? Where can you (and your listings) be found online? There are approximately 12,000 real estate agents in New Zealand. It is worth thinking about what sets your prospective agent/s apart from their competition to give you the best advantage for a successful outcome.

Personally I think the best approach would be to approach those agents already selling in the area and do a face to face interviews with them. Chose 1 agent form the lot. It's counter productive if you are using multiple agents.

Comment

I completely agree that a face to face interview is a must. I believe that researching an agent's online presence should be undertaken as well as meeting them in person

Comment

The biggest one with Facebook for me is, is you are building a company's page, you are then working to gain users, maintain and build on that base(these are all things a good webmaster will do for your own webpage)
        Here is the kicker you own none of it, you cant see all your followers you don't have access to there emails, you cant just contact them, you cant see what else they like, you have brought into Facebook business model and Facebook now have a stack of followers that for all you know are selling those followers details to other Real estate company's, or targeting them with certain ads.

Too me Facebook is just like a city park, you can put billboards up, you can promote your brand, you can address and communicate with the people around on what they like, but at the point of selling something or running your business site solely thru Facebook you are pretty much a stall seller, are you really getting the best for your business in the long run? or are you just looking at quick easy ways to address the masses?

Comment

Im not sold on Professional Services being on FB myself - would be interesting to see how many people on here put any credenance in FB?

Im sure it works for stuff aimed at tweenies and such.

Comment

I just popped onto facebook and searched how many people in New Zealand with a profile are 30 years or older - 1.5 million so that's quite a number (out of nearly 2.5 million New Zealanders on the site)

Comment

I agree that it does take a great deal of time, energy and creativity to build up an active and engaging facebook page. For the real estate industry one of the big advantages of utilising facebook is that it shows another side to an agent, rather than the constant selling and promoting of themselves that they typically do. A very successful real estate agent I know has told me that last year was his very best year in real estate to date (he has been in real estate for 15+ years and was also a top agent in London) - he puts it down to his online presence and especially facebook. There are always positives and negatives with everything - the biggest positive is the reach you can have on facebook and that it doesn't cost to join and start utilising the site. You can see your followers but you can't can't contact them individually at this stage. For agents facebook would be another tool for them to use, not their only presence

Comment

I have one but use it for storing photos I find it is a big time waster personally.

Comment

I agree that you can definitely waste a great deal of time on facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by BizSupportSolutions View Post
                    I just popped onto facebook and searched how many people in New Zealand with a profile are 30 years or older - 1.5 million so that's quite a number (out of nearly 2.5 million New Zealanders on the site)
                    Its not quite that simple man, the reported number from some country's and city's exceed the actual population there, which means the stats cant be correct. Facebook are not going to address the issues because the more users they have the better, its not to there advantage to minimize multiply account and scammers, because they can still sell it to you as a prospective client when in all effects you market could be half of what you are being told.

Comment

Then there are the scads of people who enroll on facebook just to see what it is all about and then never go back.

The number of active users will be a lot lower than the number of members.

Comment

Working...
                      X