Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buildings companies

Hi

We are in the process of choosing building companies for our new section in Karaka Harourside.

We have narrowed it down to 2 companies. Jennian & Signature Homes.

Can anyone give advice of any of these companies used and good/bad or otherwise about using
    them and what to look out for in the contracts?

We have a tight budget and want to maximise every cent we spend.

Your advice is appreciated.

FH

Jennian is a franchise operation.
    The North Shore franchisee went belly-up a couple of years ago.

Signature I have found to be good and solid.

Comment

As flyer says, Jennian are franchised so it entirely depends on the builder using the name. We chose Jennian and they were excellent (the boss was/is a builder of long-standing and a great guy to boot). However the Jennian franchise further down the line a bit didn't have quite such a good reputation. Sure, they're supported by the main Jennian company, but you really don't want to have to go that far if there are problems.

Signature do seem to have their branding on a lot of new builds around my neck of the woods.

Comment

At the end of the day ALL building companies will build your home for the same price. What they pay for the franchise fee is compensated by the discount they get from their suppliers and contractors.
        My advise having been a building consultant for a couple of housing companies is to get your plans drawn up by an architectual draughtsman or similar, write out your own list of specifications, eg what finishes you want on both the interior and exterior and the fittings you want and have both companies price the job for you.
        Make sure you compare apples with apples, as some companies will price a house with basic and minimal amounts of fittings and then sting you for extras during the build.
        It's a sad day when they are the only 2 left to pick from out there!

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

Meehole, there are other compaines such as Aframes, platinum and Jalcon homes but most of them are building to a higher spec in our area, we have a pretty tight budget and realise we are not going to get a mansion for our build budget, having seen and sat down with them all, you are correct about prices, they are all similar, its the fittings and fitouts which costs more depending on the quality. The structure, cladding and roofs are all similar in price. At the moment I have to say signature have been the most professional and the most willing to work with our budget.

We have said we have a budget which cannot be overblown and the challenge to them is to build to our budget, so we need them to help us find a way to do it, also the reason why our budget is tight is the price of the land here is pretty expensive so it takes up a over 50% of our spend.

FH

Comment

Freezinhot, you should come out to Silverdale and have a look at show homes in the Millwater development out there if you haven't already?
            The most cost effective materials to build in are brick and concrete tile roof, hence the reason why Platinum, GJ Gardener and Golden Homes all look the same. After the earthquake in ChCh I would recommend a coloursteel roof and a weatherboard type material. You don't have to have double glazing in Auckland but can with clever planning have some of the joinery in dg, this will save a few dollars.
            Fences, drives and paths you can get done yourself or at least get a pc sum from the housing company. Reason I say this is that there are alot of tradeys out there that need the work and they will give you a good deal.
            Spend the money in the house on things that are permanent, tiles, granite benchtop, decent kitchen units, square stop finish instead of gib cove and a level 4 finish if you are having the walls painted.
            Halogen lights are expensive to run, get a lighting company to do your lighting plan and incorporate some eco fittings. Same with your hot water, we have just installed a hot water cylinder that is solar ready and in a couple of years we will install the tubes on the roof.
            But above all negotiate like hell with whoever you go with, new builds are scarce and don't be afraid to ask for proof of their solvency.
            Pay a small deposit and then progress payments, usually about 8, at a certain stage of the build. The last payment is when the ccc is signed off and the keys are ready to be handed over. DON'T pay your deposit until the paperwork is ready to be submitted to Council.
            Hope this helps and good luck, I love building new houses!

Comment

Working...
            X