X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup rental homes on IRD's radar

World Cup rental homes on IRD's radar

MICHELLE DUFF Last updated 05:00 05/07/2011

Inland Revenue will trawl property rental websites as part of a push to catch homeowners who do not pay tax on houses rented out during the Rugby World Cup.
    It is understood a major aspect of the IRD's annual compliance document – a blueprint of the year's investigation targets set for release next month – will be on catching people who have not declared income from properties rented out during the cup.
    Though official numbers of people renting out homes are not kept, national and international websites show hundreds of listings for holiday home accommodation around New Zealand.
    Prices in Wellington range from $100 to $1000 a night.
    Chris Leatham, partner at accounting firm PWC, said the penalties for not declaring tax on rental income were harsh, and it was not worth the risk.
    "It's pretty easy for Inland Revenue to find out if you're renting your home out. Don't assume you can fall under the radar. IRD can be pretty aggressive when they get their teeth into you in these investigations, so if people are ignoring them then they do it at their peril."
    Sue Robinson, managing director of 80minutegame.com, has about 40 Wellington properties and 200 Auckland homes on her books.
    More at
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

I gave serious thought to renting out my Great Room during the cup - offering up some B&B-type arrangement.

Looking at others being advertised, assuming they're being taken-up, it'd gross around $900-$1300/wk.

But in the end, I decided against it. Early mornings making full english's for 4 hungry hairy-arsed rugby supporters, coming home of an evening half cut (or worse). Rowdy behaviour. Noisy sex at all hours.

It'd be terrible. I wouldn't want to put overseas visitors through all that.

Comment

I just wet myself.

One of the best paraprosdokians I've seen for a while.

Comment

Shame they don't just let the mums and dads of the world put a few extra bucks in their pockets without having to worry about tax. I know there are alot of people who can really do with the money. I know a friend of a relation was going to do it, I bet they hadn't realized they needed to pay tax, the poor people are on the bones of their bums anyway and I think they saw moving their family out including a special needs son for a couple of weeks a good way of earning some much needed cash.

Always seems to be someone trying to bite you in the bum these days

Comment

And I thought I was taking the piss.

Comment

Working...
          X