Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landscaping in relation to property value.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landscaping in relation to property value.

I'm planning to do some landscaping in my garden at PPOR, primarily for my own pleasure but also with an eye out for potential increase in equity.

The place has a nice big garden with the house positioned in the middle, dividing the section in two (one big, one small). There are some mature trees, and palms, ferns etc. but else it's pretty much a lawn. I'm thinking about building a roof over my deck, adding some walking paths, maybe a pond/water feature, do some edging. Generally I want less lawn and more beds etc.

Do anyone have experience in this field, what kind of landscaping is the best investment? Or does it affect the property value much at all?

Cheers,
    Rolf
    High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Personally I think that if the property is an investment property, then less is more in terms of gardens. Tenants dont look after them, and if left untidy, they probably look worst than blank lawn. Low maintenance is the key.

For your PPOR, I like a nice garden myself. They dont have to cost heaps either, although the decks and paths and retaining walls and other hard-scape can be quite expensive.

I think the increaase in equity value is really a matter of opinion. Some people hate the extra maintenance, and others might not have the same taste in gardening as yours. But I think they do add value if done well.

Comment

Think low maintenance
      And screening to neighbours/roads etc.
      Hard landscaping (deck/verandah/patio/bbq area) that extend
      the living space of the house is good.

Water features can be costly to maintain and not
      everyone like the sound of tinkling water.
      (not that I have any problems - yet)
      also mozzies can be a problem in the late summer.

CC

Comment

I'm definitely going for low maintenance since I'm not a garden person really, I just like the good look I'm going for native plants, easy to care for - and building beds with stones and plants that can keep the weeds down. I also have some palms standing in the lawn, and I want to make beds around them so the lawn is easier to mow there. It looks great, and is easy maintenance

A bbq area is definitely also on my todo list. I have a deck but would like to extend it into a bbq area with nice paving stones, shelter etc.
        Good point about the water, I'm not sure about doing it either because of the running cost.

Comment

Hi Rolf,

Im about half way through doing some landscaping on our current PPOR.

I removed all the finiky little bark garden Islands that were in the front lawn (It looked like the Hauraki Gulf) and have removed the bark from the other gardens and have started replacing itwith river bolders. My main reason for doing that was that the bark garden's were being used by all the local cats as a litter box.

Most of the rest of the landscaping I was doing was more of the repair variety, fixing path's., paving, retaining walls etc. But to cut a long story short even after only having done half what I had planned we have our current PPOR under contract for what we originally planned to list it at.

The landscaping is definately a factor in achieving the price were getting.

The main point that occurs to me is, Know your market. I would keep any landscaping as much as possible in keeping with an estimated target purchasor. So low maintenance if you think the place will appeal to a working couple, large lawns and fruit trees for a family home, raised vege garden for a possible retirement property, and everyone likes a patio/deck. Just something to bear in mind when your doing your planning some simple landscaping can be cheap and a great stress relief on the weekend, but retaining walls, larged paved areas or even plants can get expensive fast. If im spending that much money I want to get as much bang for my buck as possible.

Having said that it is your PPOR and your sound like you want to stay a while, so go crazy. Im thinking perhapes some miami like water feature reminesent of the old mitre 10 ad :-)
          -Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul, for the river boulders tip - I'll keep that in mind when I come around to fill those beds

I also think some well thought out landscaping can give you a good price. I'm thinking of low maintenance, also because I don't want to spent much time maintaining the place.

And I'll think about that water feature

Regards,
            Rolf

Comment

Working...
            X