Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Suggestion I received

Hi All
    Hope everyone is having a good time in the holidays and looking forward to a more positive 2009. as a few of you would know I am a first home buyer looking for a good deal in hamilton. I was talking to another person recentlt and he suggested something that I want to run past you experts.
    He suggested buy a section on the outskirts ( he pointed me to a 2.5 acre section for about 90K near Hamilton) and suggested I buy that and buy a relocatable home ( have seen a neat brick one for about 20K) and move it there.
    This all sounds quite interesting but I have absolutely no idea as to how to go about these things and am very sure there will be enormous costs involved.
    What are your thoughts on this and would be very helpful is someone can guide me as to the costs involved. What all legalities are needed around moving a house. Cheers

Hi Geeman,
    Don’t know anything about the Hamilton area but am an experienced builder.
    Being a builder I am not a big fan of relocatables as most of the ones I have worked on tend to cost close to what a new build would and you still end up with an old house. Anyway I’ll put that aside and give you some of my ideas.

Not knowing the house or section I’ll base some numbers on say a 120 sqm house

Section 90k
    House 20k
    Plans & Permits 5k
    Moving Costs 15k
    House Repairs 10k
    Reclad 20k
    Painting & Plastering 6k
    Plumbing & Electr 4k
    Driveway 4k
    Septic Tank 10k

Total 184k

I’m sure I’ve missed lots but it’s a start and it is in no way accurate!!!

Finance for building projects is a lot tighter at the moment so if this is going to be you first home you may need a big deposit.

Hope this helps

Happy New Year
    Allan

Comment

People I know who do relocatables recommend budgeting 100 to 150K on top of house price by the time you are finished. As Al says, not much cheaper then building new.

Comment

Hi geeman,

I suggest you talk to Aaron Jack at Jack's House Transit in Kahikatea Drive.

He will give you a very good idea of the costs and issues involved with reloacating a dwelling.

Paul.

Comment

Done three in recent years so know a bit about them.
          First thing is to buy a good house. Less work to do, might cost more but currently they are having a job to sell. Remember they generally pay nothing or next to nothing for the houses as developers can't sell them and need them to go so run out of options.
          Costs for shfting depend on no of loads and degree of difficulty but 20,000 covers a fair bit.
          Not sure what's around at the moment but hav a good look about. Ring all the movers. Generally found most of them helpful. Make sure you know exactly what they are going to do for the money and what is your responsibility e.g. some tie the houses to piles some don't.
          Can only say that I've done well out of the ones I have done and will do more. One of the advantages is that good houses are quickly habitabal and like any second hand house you can redecorate or change them over time. Certainly some of the older weather board houses are good to move for starters and a lot of them have already have had someone spend money on doing them up.
          I have moved a big stucco one which we had to cut n half, big mission but a great house when done. All native, no leaks and doesn't fall to bits if a tenant leans against the wall.
          Interestingy these places refurbished are liked both by tenants and by buyers especially oi they have nice wood floors so resale is good and if the section is close to town then appeals to those that like a lifestyle property.
          If you are careful with the expenses it will cost way less than new. My big stucco one cost me just under $100,000 including gargae and grounds, subdivison but not land.(5years ago) You can't make a comparison becuse to build the same product even then would propbably cost three times that.
          Is it worth it, well if you have the time yes.
          In my case I did all the work on the house. I bought a 3 bedroom brick house with a 850 sq section for 75000 subdivided and relocated that house , total costs 175k, valued a few months ago at 430k so small profit made.
          The latest one I added a new 2 brm Sunshine transportable to a back section,(difficult space and I couldn't find a second hand house to fit at the time despite spending 2 months looking) and completed it has cost just close to 180000 for a much lesor house and no garage. Huge increase on costs in the last several years is why you need to check out your costs.
          Still worth the effort.
          Last edited by Viking; 03-01-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that breakdown.

Comment

This thread was started in 2008 or 2009, it surely is a relief that whatever was back then can surely adapt to what it is now.

have a great holiday and big start in 2012.

cheers,

Comment

another self-proclaimed guru

set guns to ignore
                have you defeated them?
                your demons

Comment

Sorry about the name... it just had the spurt of the moment thing. Well it's just a name...

cheers,

Comment

i'm actually not Sonny Bill Williams - although some days I like to think I am!

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                      another self-proclaimed guru

set guns to ignore

I see a user called superdad. Are we sure that he is a good dad or should I ignore him when it comes to parenting advice

Comment

Originally posted by InvestmentGuru View Post
                        This thread was started in 2008 or 2009, it surely is a relief that whatever was back then can surely adapt to what it is now.

have a great holiday and big start in 2012.

cheers,
                        Super dad says Huge increase on costs in the last several years is why you need to check out your costs so factor this in

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

Comment

Originally posted by frost View Post
                          I see a user called superdad. Are we sure that he is a good dad or should I ignore him when it comes to parenting advice
                          Thank you Frost and have a Happy New Year...

Comment

Working...
                          X