Just curious....at a wedding over the weekend I had a chat with a family friend who was telling me about a work colleague of theirs who had bought 2 sections. They were going to build 2 new houses, one to live in & the other to rent out.
Before they started a guy came along and offered them $25k more than they paid for each section which they accepted. Nice little $50k earner for no effort.
My immediate reaction was I think that $50k would be taxable. Their response was "don't you know there's no capital gain tax in NZ".
Maybe I'm wrong and it's not taxable as their intention was to live/rent the houses out? What do other PT readers think?
Before they started a guy came along and offered them $25k more than they paid for each section which they accepted. Nice little $50k earner for no effort.
My immediate reaction was I think that $50k would be taxable. Their response was "don't you know there's no capital gain tax in NZ".
Maybe I'm wrong and it's not taxable as their intention was to live/rent the houses out? What do other PT readers think?


Comment