Header Ad Module

Collapse

Starting out

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Traff
    Addicted
    • Jan 2005
    • 772

    #1

    Starting out

    Hi

    I'm a property investor and have a few investments of my own. I'm looking to rejoin the workforce and am looking for a little advice from the big Accountants etc. I've been in NZ for 3 years now and have not worked due to looking after my two kids- now i feel is the time to go back to work. I have worked for 20 years in an Accounting enviroment, my previous jobs were in London preparing Mangement Accounts for Software Companies ie billing out Consultants time to clients, revenue, TB, BS, P&L etc Quickbooks was the package used. I'm doing my own bookkeeping for my investment properties etc but would like to contract out - either by working from home or going on site. I have a Certificate in AAT and have a grade B in Accounting (AAT Intermediate) do i need any other qualifications to be able to work from home. Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Sharon
  • MJU
    Opinionated
    • Mar 2004
    • 140

    #2
    Sharon,

    You sound like you have lots and lots of choices ahead of you. Some things you might like to conssider are:

    Do you need the social side of an office etc?

    Are you looking for project work, which can be patchy, and wont always give the rewards equal to the commitment required, however satisfying?

    Are you looking for work or a business?

    Do you have the experience you need to be competitive in the current environment?

    Would you benefit from more experience? How? Where would you get this experience?

    What would an ideal client look like for you? What woudl you offer them? What else might they be looking for?


    I hope some of these thoughts are helpful!

    Comment

    • Traff
      Addicted
      • Jan 2005
      • 772

      #3
      Thanks MJU

      You've given me some things to think about.

      I'm looking for flexiblity which is what i need at the moment. I'm looking to work on site and also from home. Preferably small businesses, CA's, lawyers, software companies, property investors etc . I'm not sure of what is expected from companies that will be part of my research. The qualities i have to offer are trustworthiness, pleasant personality, professionalism, expertise (in my area), excellant keyboard skills, good telephone manner, i'm reliable and have a good hard working attitude.
      As for extra experience of lot of what i've learnt has been from being hands on within my employment, you will always be asked to do something you've never done before which means you gain experience that way and sometimes thats the best way to learn. I've done courses on accounts but the only time i've really learn't and understood what it means and actually does is from seeing it live within the workplace.

      I've never worked in NZ before so there's a first time for everything - i'll let you know how i get on.

      Thanks for the advice
      Cheers
      Sharon

      Comment

      Working...