Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Dwelling questions...confused

Hi,

I have some questions in relation to second dwellings...I'm getting slightly confused by the council searches...

Basic - Mt Eden, Auckland - Villa, 7 Lucky street (Don't want to prove actual address)

Property is two levels with bathroom/rooms/kitchen on each.

Auckland council on their list the property as 'Single Units, excluding bach (no idea what this bach bit means?)

My understanding is that when you add another kitchen it automatically requires it to be a second dwelling..however this property is still listed as single but on the rates side it shows 2x on the charges i.e 2 x waste management, 2x uniform and the address and on the LIM it already shows as having 7 Lucky Street and 7A Lucky Street.

Questions:
    What is the bach bit in land description?
    If it is single unit why is it two separate address according to council, i would expect this if it was already a second dwelling?
    Is it possible that someone started the process to create a second dwelling and didn't finish?

Any info would be of a great help!

I think their is no black and white answer to this. Council seem to have many variables operating with these types of situations that I have seen and most frequently in regard to older buildings before new compliance measures came into effect.

Comment

Hi, you can have a non-consented second dwelling being treated by council as a rated second dwelling. It can have it's own rates, bins, electricity meter etc but will have no second dwelling consent. We bought a house with a granny flat that was advertised as home & income. Even the LIM had the address as two addresses e.g. 33A-33B Thomas Avenue. I think it happened when the council rating agent inspected it and they don't communicate with the consent people. We only found out when applying for a building consent that it had no consent and the cost of legalising it wasn't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigD View Post
        Hi, you can have a non-consented second dwelling being treated by council as a rated second dwelling. It can have it's own rates, bins, electricity meter etc but will have no second dwelling consent. We bought a house with a granny flat that was advertised as home & income. Even the LIM had the address as two addresses e.g. 33A-33B Thomas Avenue. I think it happened when the council rating agent inspected it and they don't communicate with the consent people. We only found out when applying for a building consent that it had no consent and the cost of legalising it wasn't worth it.
        Very good point i had not heard of that. The only downside i guess would be the increased rates billing, usually around $1000 per annum.

Comment

Thanks for the input. So essentially the only way forward is to go to council and ask them what the story is at which point they could say there is no second dwelling which will involve removing the kitchen but the rates would decrease or alternatively it is a second dwelling and has been updated on the consent side...what a murky world we live in...

Comment

'single unit excl bach' is a reference to zoning

if it is Single house zone (unitary plan )then a minor dwelling is allowed this isnt strictly a second dwelling but it does attract rating as stated because it can be rented.. Just to confuse you a granny flat can look the same and not be rated as such?

We only found out when applying for a building consent that it had no consent and the cost of legalising it wasn't worth it.
            it didnt need to be legalised? you just needed to know what it was approved for?
            Last edited by John the builder; 10-05-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Auckland council on their list the property as 'Single Units, excluding bach (no idea what this bach bit means?)
              It says single unit(S) as in more than one. So there are 2 units and the bach (if there is one) is not part of either unit?

These will have separate titles under the unit titles act? You can buy either or both?

Not sure what tangent JTB has gone off on?
              What is the bach bit in land description?
              Maybe there is a bach on the site? Obviously in the common area?

If it is single unit why is it two separate address according to council, i would expect this if it was already a second dwelling?
              Says it is single units plural?

Is it possible that someone started the process to create a second dwelling and didn't finish?

Nope .. Unit titles..

Comment

Working...
              X