Header Ad Module

Collapse

Govt announces boost in family tax relief

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gerrard
    ***** Junkie
    • Jan 2004
    • 1093

    #1

    Govt announces boost in family tax relief

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3381269a10,00.html

    Govt announces boost in family tax relief
    18 August 2005

    UPDATED REPORT - 12.45pm
    Labour has dramatically boosted its Working for Families package - promising to extend targeted tax breaks to 60,000 more working families from April next year, Prime Minister Helen Clark announced today.

    The extension of the package means about 350,000 families would be eligible from April next year under a Labour-led government.

    The changes would mean a family with two children and an income of $65,000 would receive $64 a week in tax relief from April next year, rising to $84 a week in April 2007.

    Miss Clark said the extension meant that almost all families with a combined income of $70,000 or less would receive tax relief.

    Families with three children earning up to about $90,000 would become eligible, as would families with four children earning up to $110,000.

    Families with children and an income of less than $35,000 a year would, in effect, be paying no tax at all from April 1 next year.

    Miss Clark said that at the lower income end of the scale the policy represented an "aggressive assault on child poverty".

    But she said even families with children on much higher incomes struggled to make ends meet.

    Tax cuts would deliver little to these families, whereas Labour's tax relief plan delivered large amounts of money where it was needed most.

    The extension would cost an extra $440 million a year by 2009, with a cumulative four year cost of about $1.3 billion.

    Miss Clark said if the eventual $440 million a year cost of the extension was spent on tax cuts it would deliver only about $4 a week to most people.

    The Government had always intended to eventually expand the programme, but when it became aware of the extra cash available to it three or four weeks ago, it decided to move sooner rather than later.

    People can find out what they would receive by using the calculator at www.labour.org.nz.
  • Gerrard
    ***** Junkie
    • Jan 2004
    • 1093

    #2
    Do LAQC losses come into this kind of calculation? Could be a lot of property investors boosting their cashflow even further thanks to the govt!

    Comment

    • fudosan
      Reaching out to Asia
      • Jun 2004
      • 2084

      #3
      Nothing for those without children, singles, etc.?

      Comment

      • essence
        Fanatical
        • May 2004
        • 3578

        #4
        Do you qualify???

        Go to www.labour.org.nz and find out whether you qualify or not.

        I'll tell you one thing, I AM NOT having more children just so the government can give me $s per week!!!!!
        Patience is a virtue.

        Comment

        • SEIBU
          Opinionated
          • May 2005
          • 177

          #5

          I'll tell you one thing, I AM NOT having more children just so the government can give me $s per week!!!!!
          That reminds me of an episode of Bro Town - but I digress....
          handmade art for kids rooms

          Comment

          • Gypsygirl
            Opinionated
            • Mar 2005
            • 216

            #6
            Does this make anyone even vaguely tempted to vote labour????

            Comment

            • essence
              Fanatical
              • May 2004
              • 3578

              #7
              Gerrard's Comment

              Well, have been mulling over Gerrard's comment.

              Originally posted by Gerrard
              Do LAQC losses come into this kind of calculation? Could be a lot of property investors boosting their cashflow even further thanks to the govt!
              LAQC losses are written down against income, so that tax relief can be provided. The more I thought about it, the more I'm convinced that Gerrard could be right.

              Woo-hoo!!

              Sample equation:

              Income (from job, taxed at source) 95,000
              LAQC -60,000
              Gross Income (PRE-TAX) 35,000
              Tax on $35K 6,420
              TOTAL TAX RELIEF AS PROPOSED BY LABOUR $6,800!!

              Now according to Labour's website, with one child (15) and one child (17) and partner not working, one would be entitled to a tax relief of $200 PER WEEK. COOL!! That's a deposit on an IP.

              Maybe I'm being a bit thick (it happens quite a lot) but does this mean that the government will allow investors to use LAQC losses to reduce income, so that the government will then give MORE tax relief??

              Where's the catch??

              P.S. Before you comment, no I don't earn $95K a year - I wish I did!
              Last edited by essence; 18-08-2005, 11:05 PM.
              Patience is a virtue.

              Comment

              • CJ
                Fanatical
                • Oct 2003
                • 3570

                #8
                I though Cullen said there was no room in the budget for Tax cuts.

                Why not just raise the tax thresholds. A lot more pure and less beuracracy (I hate that word so much I cant even spell it!). Maybe because they are targetting the cuts (sorry it is "releif" not cuts) at thoses whos votes are easist bought.

                Students - Tick
                Poor families - Tick
                Oldies - Next?

                Comment

                • Gerrard
                  ***** Junkie
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 1093

                  #9
                  Hi essence - that was pretty much my thinking too. They are talking about tax breaks so I assume it means an end of year rebate, although maybe it's done through that IRD form to reduce your effective tax rate? If that's the case then I guess you would have to stump up to WINZ with proof of income.

                  CJ - oldies are already taken care of. Lots more hip and eye operations I think it is.

                  Isn't is scary these people are spending all our money just to bribe the public into electing them. Where's the ethics, or best interests of the country in that!
                  Last edited by muppet; 19-08-2005, 08:09 AM.

                  Comment

                  • essence
                    Fanatical
                    • May 2004
                    • 3578

                    #10
                    IRD Form

                    Hi Gerrard

                    The form you refer to is the IR23BS which stands for - wait for it - Special Tax code/student loan special reduction rate application!!

                    That's the form one can use when one wants to get the tax back in the pay packet instead of waiting until year end.

                    Anita Bell's book "Your Investment Property, How to Choose it, pay for it and triple your returns in 3 years" Chapter 7, explains how to get the form, fill it out etc.

                    I think most local libraries have a copy. I know mine dones.

                    Going back to the tax relief just "promised" by the government. Would that mean that if one has a rebate through the IR23BS (which incidentally becomes an IR23ES the following year), does the total rebate for the year include the tax relief?

                    I think this would mean, it would be possible next financial year to not have ANY tax deducted at source.

                    Now that is an interesting scenario.
                    Patience is a virtue.

                    Comment

                    • Ivanhoe
                      Fanatical
                      • Jul 2005
                      • 1156

                      #11
                      Hi, essence!
                      Can you please clarify this thing about IR23BS and "it would be possible next financial year to not have ANY tax deducted at source"?
                      What would it mean for someone with kids and IP?
                      It is still not clear for me what happens if someone claims losses and total income falls below threshold of Work4fam programme - does it make you elligible or not?
                      Talk to two presons @ IRD got two different and conflicting answers...
                      I'm very, very confused, please, help!
                      Cheers
                      Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

                      Comment

                      • essence
                        Fanatical
                        • May 2004
                        • 3578

                        #12
                        Ir23bs

                        Hi Ivanhoe

                        My understanding of the IR23BS is that one rings the IRD and they send you out the form. Using ACTUAL figures from the last tax year as a guideline, when one submits the IR23BS to the IRD, one GUESSES what your income for the following year will be. This is also the same with losses. With regards to Anita's book (see previous post) she recommends slightly OVER-estimating your income and slightly UNDER-estimating your deductions.

                        Its explained much better in her book.

                        The IR23BS is then submitted to the IRD who work out the difference between the tax you are expected to pay at source and what you may have paid AFTER losses have been taken away from your gross income.

                        ie Income 95,000
                        Tax at source (say) -20,000
                        Net income 75,000
                        Less losses attributed -40,000
                        New taxable income (NTI) 35,000
                        Tax on NTI (say) 6,800

                        This suggests that during the course of the year, one has paid approx $13,800 too much tax. Instead of waiting for the end of tax year refund, the IR23BS requests that the IRD give you "mini tax refunds" each pay period. It will not be for the full amount, as don't forget, you are only guestimating the amount of income and losses FOR THE NEXT YEAR.

                        One may get only $20 per week, but if it aids with cash-flow, why not.

                        I strongly recommend Anita's book. Its well worth the time and is explained much better than I can here.
                        Patience is a virtue.

                        Comment

                        • essence
                          Fanatical
                          • May 2004
                          • 3578

                          #13
                          Sorry!

                          Originally posted by Ivanhoe
                          Can you please clarify this thing about IR23BS and "it would be possible next financial year to not have ANY tax deducted at source"?
                          What would it mean for someone with kids and IP?
                          It is still not clear for me what happens if someone claims losses and total income falls below threshold of Work4fam programme - does it make you elligible or not?
                          Talk to two presons @ IRD got two different and conflicting answers...
                          I'm very, very confused, please, help!
                          Cheers
                          The government has said that those with an income under $35,000 would probably end up not paying any tax. If you use their calculator on www.labour.org.nz , it would appear someone with an income (after losses deducted) of $35,000 and two children (15,17 for example) would get $200/wk in tax relief. I know I'm trying to get my head around it too.

                          I don't know anything about the criteria for the Work4Fam programme but surely (IMHO) if your income is under $35K, you're still entitled to some tax relief.

                          As for talking to the IRD and getting two difference responses - why am I not surprised. Ring again and ask to speak to a supervisor, because you've got two conflicting explanations from the IRD staff. That should rattle a few cages.
                          Patience is a virtue.

                          Comment

                          • Marcus
                            Fanatical
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 1453

                            #14
                            I hate to be a party pooper but, is there a chance that Labour may promise 'all the tea in China' to get in and then renege on their promises should they get back in?

                            Surely not!

                            Politicians don't lie, do they?

                            Regards,
                            Marcus.

                            Comment

                            • Robot
                              Opinionated
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 128

                              #15
                              Is it just me or is Labour getting even more socialist? I'm getting scared they are going to announce their support for the Communist Manifesto and Marxism, any day now.

                              Comment

                              Working...