Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property agreement with defacto who has contributed zero to purchase.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple advice get a pre-nup before 3 years of living together or else its 50/50 .
    Its not 2 years as some people have incorrectly said!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
      Nope - not quite the thing. Quotes from two references:

What concerns me is the prospect of assets held in a Trust before a relationship, being obviously and legally separate property, being quixotically assessed as relationship property.
      I really doubt Cpt707 wants to know any actual facts.
      I detect a huge bias in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
        I've heard of cases where flatmates have won RPA claims and cases where the couple weren't even living together. It's horrific. Trust busting I've heard about usually hinges on when the family home is in Trust. According to some courts, the fact that it was the family home overrides the fact that it was in a Trust.
        I'm sure there are some interesting facts in those cases.
        As put it seems totally unjust but when you dig into the facts of the case I suspect a different story would emerge.

Comment

Wow, hmm there has been some discussion. Looking my previous relationship, yes I agree that after 20 years, from when we were young was 50/50 split. Swings and roundabouts. As for his huge debt, which was unbeknown to me until the very end, not fair, but negotiations sorted that. That was 5 years ago. Sorted. Moved on, thanks.
          In current relationship, too old to produce any children now, I have put a huge chunk of $ towards a house deposit and moved in with current partner, as said. I am not intending that this relationship ends, did not say it, hope for the best, as we all do. However you have blinkers on if you think that any relationship is 100% secure. Stats say 67% of second relationships fail, but we all hope not. You cannot predict the future. So future proofing myself. I am not out to swing any agreement in my favour and be unreasonable. I am just wanting it to be fair, and was only asking for suggestions on how you do that, some sort of equation to be used over time? I'm not sure, hence the question. Although I have not really got an answer except from Keys, it was an interesting discussion and good to see it got some others having a think about their situation. Cheers people.

Sorry Keys, I have not in touch yet about a copy of an agreement.

Comment

My view is that you set thing up up front, so that IF the relationship does fail for whatever reason, the hard work has been done.

I bought a house with my partner 3 years ago at the age of 40. I had $500k in assets, he had next to nothing. I had seen the tail end of his divorce so knew he was a decent guy (too decent - the ex took pretty much everything), but still wanted to protect myself.

We bought the house 50/50 as a partnership. I paid for my half outright, he has a mortgage for (most of) his. On a monthly basis we both put money in a joint account that pays for everything bar his mortgage and child support - rates, insurance, food, utilities, holidays, house renovations, etc. we both have free use of that account. Everything that is not in the joint account or purchased through the joint account is specified in the RPA as being individual property.

this approach works really well. If things fail, well one of us buys out the other or we sell. But unlike what some people think, we are planning for worst case but working for best It also means if i decide to take 6 months off work I don't feel guilty for not contributing - and it means that he gets to buy a house and share any gains. In the likely event we are still together in 20yrs or whatever, we can amend the agreement simply by me putting any assets I wish to join into joint property. But NO WAY did I work my butt off and save for 15 years to have options to have them taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
              The local singles forums are a lolly scramble. This thread reminded me of that. I saw the light, expanded my horizons and found it's a very big pond out there.
              Yes, i found the local men left a lot to be desired and went offshore too. Goes both ways Michael.

Comment

The more I read of this thread the more I think "thank goodness I got a foreign girlfriend".

Comment

The more I read of this thread the more I think "thank goodness I got a foreign girlfriend".
                  ditto. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkingbutnotdoing View Post
                    ditto. Ugh.
                    "Ugh"... Yeah whatever.

Foreign women are better looking, better educated and make better partners. I really could have my cake and eat it too. This self-defeating obsession with money and plotting relationship failure is far more common here.
                    Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 31-01-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

didn't think

my view of you

could fall further
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                        my view of you
                        Sour grapes from you is funny and supports my point.
                        Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 31-01-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

have you defeated them?
                          your demons

Comment

"Ugh"... Yeah whatever.

Foreign women are better looking, better educated and make better partners.
                            and it would seem - not fussy.
                            Just saying.

Comment

"Ugh"... Yeah whatever.

Foreign women are better looking, better educated and make better partners. I really could have my cake and eat it too. This self-defeating obsession with money and plotting relationship failure is far more common here.

You don't get out much do you? There are gold diggers - both male and female everywhere. If you think it is more prevalent in NZ you're deluded.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                                There are gold diggers - both male and female everywhere.
                                There are gold diggers all around but that wasn't the point. The point is too many of the women I have seen on local dating forums price themselves out of the market. Need confirmation of this? Take a look now and in 6 (or even 12!) months time and see how many are still there.

Though I am no longer single, this thread reminded me of how complicated it is dating locally, the ridiculous long winded lists and all. By looking overseas I got more then I asked for on my list. I also avoided many of the politics.

Much of the rest of the world still has the same old marriage intentions - continue bloodlines and cement the families economic and social standing.

So good luck to some of you and I hope it works out for you despite your efforts otherwise.
                                Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 01-02-2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X