Header Ad Module

Collapse

Income to declare?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mrDOitYOURSELF
    Freshie
    • Jul 2015
    • 16

    #1

    Income to declare?

    Hi there,
    I was wondering weather I will need to declare income from boarders who stay at my place? I receive 500 weekly from my flatmates, would I need to declare that? Also does that mean I file an IR3 as of next year?
  • Anthonyacat
    Fanatical
    • Oct 2013
    • 1758

    #2
    There is a distinct difference in IRD's eyes between boarders and flatmates. They do not specify what the distinction is, but flatmates you pay income tax on from the first $1, while boarders get an exemption. From memory this is around $250/week per boarder for the first 2, then around $200 for #3 & 4. Beyond that you have to declare everything (but can deduct relevant expenses)

    If you have boarders, and they pay less than the threshold, you don't need to declare it. But best to keep good records anyway in case IRD comes in later and calls them flatmates.

    See: http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-in...ers-flyer.html for more information.
    AAT Accounting Services - Property Specialist - [email protected]
    Fixed price fees and quick knowledgeable service for property investors & traders!

    Comment

    • spaceman
      Banned
      • Feb 2004
      • 2817

      #3
      Not sure ...BUT.... I thought the distinction was meals/power/laundry etc were all provided at a set price. Where as flatmates share expenses.

      There were a few threads a few years back about this, though I can't remember if there was a hard and fast conclusion or not.

      Cheers
      Spaceman

      Comment

      • Anthonyacat
        Fanatical
        • Oct 2013
        • 1758

        #4
        There were no final conclusions from memory, but that is certainly one opinion. Personally I believe you can have board without food, but if people are paying shares of every expense as it comes in they're leaning on the side of flatmates rather than boarders. A set price certainly helps.
        AAT Accounting Services - Property Specialist - [email protected]
        Fixed price fees and quick knowledgeable service for property investors & traders!

        Comment

        • Wayne
          Fanatical
          • Jun 2004
          • 10899

          #5
          have a read of this thread

          there is a quote from somewhere in post 9 with a definition

          This may be helpful

          Comment

          • Rosco
            Fanatical
            • May 2007
            • 3710

            #6
            Originally posted by mrDOitYOURSELF View Post
            Hi there,
            I was wondering weather I will need to declare income from boarders who stay at my place? I receive 500 weekly from my flatmates, would I need to declare that? Also does that mean I file an IR3 as of next year?
            If they are flatmates, then yes you need to return the rental income. You can then claim a portion of the expenses such as interest, rates etc.

            Yes you would need to file an IR3.

            A boarder pays a set amount, ie $250 per weeks, for the room, power, phone, internet, food. So basically everything included.

            A flatmate pays a set amount for the room, say $150. Then a share of power, phone, internet and normally there own food, or could be a share of the combined food.

            Ross
            Book a free chat here
            Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

            Comment

            Working...