Council want to widen road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council want to widen road

Letter from Auckland Transport today advising they are planning to widen the road I l live to construct a cylce lane. Effectively the ability to park on the street outside the house will be gone. (house does have off-street parking)

The council are having some sessions in the town halls for two days next week to hear feedback etc.

What are the implications that need to be considered with changes like this. What questions should be asked of the council?

Thanks

Doesn't matter what questions you ask mate, they'll be doing it anyway.
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

It sounds like this is council land in which case you are in a difficult position. Frankly I don't know whether compensation is payable or not. FYI our council are thinking about traffic lights next to my home and I'm very sure there isn't a thing I can do about it. Not happy but that's life living in a city.

Comment

Shalodge, it's election time in Auckland very soon. I thought about standing to become a councillor.
        But then I thought about all the idiots that would be ringing me up moaning about all sorts of stupid stuff and decided I'd rather have my days to myself!
        Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
        Doesn't matter what questions you ask mate, they'll be doing it anyway.
        Sounds as though you've got it down pat Davo.

Now don't go bursting a gasket......I'm just teasing.

Comment

It will likely be road reserve not private land they will be using.

This is why most planning rules require off street parking in residential areas..

Davo is right .. they wont can the project just because someone doesn't like their parking being removed. You best bet might be to wring a concession out of them... they will go for that. You will know what might be needed but the general principle is ..

Organise ... A few leaflets in letterboxes etc. Elect a spokesman.

Make a fuss ... Plan a march somewhere ...

Have a compromise ready ... New footpaths , upgraded playground equipment .. extra parking somewhere else. streetlight upgrades ...Driveways sealed .. whatever is needed.

Comment

Yep they take no notice of what you say and go ahead anyway - that is our experience anyway. We have just lost the use of on road parks at one of ours as well. We can't see that it was justified but that doesn't count for anything.

Comment

Auckland Transport eh?
              Like all the other comments, their mind will be made up and I will go so far as to accuse them (as a division of Auckland City Council) that there will already be tender papers drawn up and stuck in someones file waiting to dish it up to a chosen roadmarking contractor.
              The consultation you might endure will be a farce with earnest young planners and engineers dotted with a few politicians who really wont give a monkeys.
              Unless you can get a clamour of property owners creating mayhem and threatening civil disobedience such as leaving cars and trucks parked in it constantly or even some friendly misdirected containers or skips dropped by mistake, AT will do whatever they please to satisfy the lycra louts. Remember many of them actually work there behind the scenes.
              The only place I heard many years ago was in Takapuna where the council tried to remove some carparking on their golden mile around the lake for a few pushbikes. The reaction I recall reading was a huge turnout at a protest and the council backed down. Good luck...you will need it.

Comment

Lycra louts? Perhaps you don't see the major benefits of cycling, Grundy? Perhaps you prefer sitting in jams, adding kilos to your waistline and CO2's and other nasty particles to the atmosphere? Really, where to start? Where do you get your stats that "many cyclists work at the council"? If more people rode bicycles, there'd be fewer problems in the world. Fact.

Comment

Great I got a reaction. I know enough about councils to know the backrooms are riven with wannabe tour de france types and the discussions about their next marathon jogging run or other sport occupies many work hours. As a robbed ratepayer and too often been on the dirty end of what is supposed to be a democratic process I can only say, seeing as I am surrounded by recreational sports bicyclists with nary a real commuter in sight where I am, what other sport enjoys such massive funding and gifting of developed real estate (roads) to the pursuit of the hobby? I'm all for special lanes for bicycles, provided horses and pedestrians are allowed to use them also.

Comment

It's called a "commute", not a hobby, if someone cycles to work. Would you be less opposed if cyclists paid a form of registration?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes, I do infer the decision is made. I was more thinking that becuase they are holding these public meetings etc, that there is more information to be had other than what they are disclosing.....

No intention of protesting etc......making way for progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Grundy View Post
                        I'm all for special lanes for bicycles, provided horses and pedestrians are allowed to use them also.
                        Done.
                        And I'm all in favour of cars continuing to use the harbour bridge; as long as they pay the same toll that cyclists will be charged.
                        Do we have a deal ?

Comment

Working...
                        X