Hi All
I bought an apartment at the beginning of the year (for me to live in). I was recently told by the Body Corp that all owners were being "encouraged" to have their shower basins replaced as there was a considerable risk that they would soon start leaking down into the apartments below.
I was completely unaware of the problem when I bought the place but apparently it was identified at least a year ago. Letters had been sent out to owners. I understand that the majority of the building's showers have already been replaced. The cost will be close to $3k - kind of a nasty surprise for me!
Insurance - apparently Im not covered for the replacement of the shower itself, but would be covered if there were a leak and this caused damage elsewhere.(but either way, the shower still needs replacing)
From memory before I bought the place I think I phoned the Body Corp to inquire about the general state of the building - being mainly concerned of course with Leaky issues. No problems were highlighted. Now I am wishing that I had some email record of this!
I am unsure at this stage whether or not the previous owner was aware of the problem when they sold it to me. I think theres a good chance they did. If they did know would I have a case against them?
I bought an apartment at the beginning of the year (for me to live in). I was recently told by the Body Corp that all owners were being "encouraged" to have their shower basins replaced as there was a considerable risk that they would soon start leaking down into the apartments below.
I was completely unaware of the problem when I bought the place but apparently it was identified at least a year ago. Letters had been sent out to owners. I understand that the majority of the building's showers have already been replaced. The cost will be close to $3k - kind of a nasty surprise for me!
Insurance - apparently Im not covered for the replacement of the shower itself, but would be covered if there were a leak and this caused damage elsewhere.(but either way, the shower still needs replacing)
From memory before I bought the place I think I phoned the Body Corp to inquire about the general state of the building - being mainly concerned of course with Leaky issues. No problems were highlighted. Now I am wishing that I had some email record of this!
I am unsure at this stage whether or not the previous owner was aware of the problem when they sold it to me. I think theres a good chance they did. If they did know would I have a case against them?


Comment