Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$3k bill to fix old problem in a newly bought apartment - anything I can do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $3k bill to fix old problem in a newly bought apartment - anything I can do?

Hi All

I bought an apartment at the beginning of the year (for me to live in). I was recently told by the Body Corp that all owners were being "encouraged" to have their shower basins replaced as there was a considerable risk that they would soon start leaking down into the apartments below.

I was completely unaware of the problem when I bought the place but apparently it was identified at least a year ago. Letters had been sent out to owners. I understand that the majority of the building's showers have already been replaced. The cost will be close to $3k - kind of a nasty surprise for me!

Insurance - apparently Im not covered for the replacement of the shower itself, but would be covered if there were a leak and this caused damage elsewhere.(but either way, the shower still needs replacing)

From memory before I bought the place I think I phoned the Body Corp to inquire about the general state of the building - being mainly concerned of course with Leaky issues. No problems were highlighted. Now I am wishing that I had some email record of this!

I am unsure at this stage whether or not the previous owner was aware of the problem when they sold it to me. I think theres a good chance they did. If they did know would I have a case against them?

You'll need to get copies of the body corp minutes showing when they advised owners to replace the shower basins.

Even then, it's a case of buyer beware unless you can show that the Real Estate Agent had knowledge of the problem. $3K is not a lot of lawyers hours, so even if there is a theoretical "win" possible for you it may well not be worth the time and expense fighting this fight.

Comment

Your lawyer let you buy an apartment without strongly advising you to read past BC minutes and accounts?
      Yuk.

Comment

Your lawyer let you buy an apartment without strongly advising you to read past BC minutes and accounts?
        No she did advise me to read them and I did. For some reason there was no mention of the shower issue.

Comment

Ahh.
          Sounds like SwissTony for Body Corp chairman is needed then, to get some structure into the BC.

Comment

A risk of a leak and a leak are not the same, and being encouraged to check is a good thing, as you live there.
            Use common sense and enjoy your day

Comment

i seem to remember reading some BC minutes where shower trays were leaking and required replacement, i keep all the minutes i get so which building?

perhaps they skipped sending you those ones

pm ok?
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

Working...
              X