Header Ad Module

Collapse

Planning - height in relation to boundary

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mr_bond
    Freshie
    • Sep 2009
    • 84

    #1

    Planning - height in relation to boundary

    I have plans to build a garage on my property, and ideally would sit it hard up against the neighbours garage which is hard up against my boundary. His garage is 3 metres high, and mine will be 2.5 metres high, however zoning rules say that on his northern boundary I can only build within a 2 metre high + 45 degree angle recession plane.

    I am going to approach my neighbour to discuss anyway, but I'd be interested to know the forums thoughts on what councils opinion would be if I didn't get the neighbours consent. Bascially because there is no benefit to the neighbour of me following the rules, do I still need to follow them?

    My alternative, if I don't get the neighbours consent, is to move the garage further away from the boundary to the detriment of my yard space.

    Realistically the neighbour will probably consent, but I'd just like to know before I have the discussion with them.
  • Bulldog
    Forum Junkie
    • Jul 2009
    • 253

    #2
    If neighbour does not consent & Council don't see any great problem, Council planner will probably recommend a hearing. You will both put forward your arguments & committee will decide. Best go see a duty planner at Council to get some advice.

    Comment

    • Clearway Consulting
      Freshie
      • Feb 2010
      • 2

      #3
      Planning - Height in relation to boundary

      Hi there
      If you break the height in relation to boundary rule you will require a resource consent. If you get on well with you neighbour that is great and get their approval. The forms are generally on the Council website. If you do not get on well with your neighbour I would not approach them for approval but instead get a planner to make an arguement about why they are not affected and often the Council will agree. Often when you go to someone and ask for their approval and it is not given it puts the Council in a difficult position.
      I hope that is some sort of help and that I have sent this reply to the correct place.

      Comment

      • Mr_bond
        Freshie
        • Sep 2009
        • 84

        #4
        Thanks, most helpful. A hearing doesn't sound great, or cheap.

        I'm thinking as a first step I will take my plans into the duty planner with some photos and see what they think. Can't hurt.

        Comment

        • Clearway Consulting
          Freshie
          • Feb 2010
          • 2

          #5
          Planning-height in relation to boundary

          Hi there
          Sounds like a good idea. Let me know how you go. If you need a resource consent I would happily give you some advice.

          Cheers

          Hamish

          Comment

          Working...