Header Ad Module

Collapse

Financial Strategies "TODAY" to Expand Property Portfolio's

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bluekiwi
    Fanatical
    • May 2008
    • 4002

    #1

    Financial Strategies "TODAY" to Expand Property Portfolio's

    Assumption: Dont make this thread a discussion on why or why nots, lets work on the assummption that someone DOES want to rapidly expand a residential property portfolio in todays "post" (ish) credit crunch financial environment.
    And that you want to buy as much hold rental stock as you can, and as fast as possible, say 30 to 40 properties.

    Property DVD's and the Good Old Days:
    Like any budding property investor I have read all the books and watched all the DVD's.
    From the Dean Letfus "Property Traders Toolkit" where he mentions that you open a weetbix box these days and a mortgage falls out (Arounnd 2006).
    To Roy Hong Fong, Sean Wood, Martin Ayles; where they all discuss finance strategies similar to what you would read about in most residential property how to guides.

    The Basic Premise Being:
    Buy under value, and add value to create a fantastic LVR (should be easy right now).
    And recycle that equity out of the deal and use it as a deposit for the next - uh oh ????
    And you also focus on high yeilding cash flow property initially to be able to service loans - okay thats not so bad

    Today's Financial Issue:
    Is that in the current climate as we all know it is very difficult to get finance and the banks have very strict policy on recycling equity out of a new property acquisitions.
    I was told Westpac have a 30k maximum ?
    Another broker told me I had to wait for at least 6 months maybe more.

    Previously:
    You could do a cosmetic reno, use the new RV and take that that to the bank in 2 to 3 weeks to have the bank give you 80% of that new RV.
    You could just wait 3 months and get a new RV.

    So One Piece is Missing in the Financial Jogsaw:
    What advice can the guru's of today, offer to us ??
    Now, to be able to get around this problem.
    What financial strategies do people recomend, or are out there, to be able to expand a residential prioperty portfolio - quickly
    If a Roy Fong or a Sean Wood was starting today, what would they do ????
    Last edited by Bluekiwi; 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM.
  • Stevegoodey
    Fanatical
    • Mar 2005
    • 1136

    #2
    I wonder if anyone actually had a great answer to this question if they would actually share it?

    Comment

    • EagleEyes
      Freshie
      • Jun 2009
      • 32

      #3
      Just a thought - Maybe you are focusing on the number of properties rather than the amount of money you are actually making. So maybe you need to do less deals, but make more money per deal. That way you can stick within the bank's rules easier, but an extra say $20k per deal might be 1 less deal each year you need to do...

      Comment

      • Bluekiwi
        Fanatical
        • May 2008
        • 4002

        #4
        No matter how hard you try, someone always goes off track, but the 3rd post ?
        Read the stuff in Bold "Eagle Eyes" ???

        Hey sorry to be rude
        What I mean to say is, yes you can do that as well.

        Comment

        • Tan
          Fanatical
          • Nov 2008
          • 1444

          #5
          I'd go around all the banks (which I have done before) until I come across one with a good loans person who is not about to leave and is prepared to work with you. This can take a while, but is well worth the time and effort. It's surprising how many banks there are once you list them.
          By banks I mean individual branches. You are looking for a person here.

          Be prepared to word how you are saying things differently if required, so you fit with them better. I'd start with the least likely to get my practice up.

          With a good person, you will both be throwing around ideas of how to make you fit criteria to move forward, ie work out which property to apply how much % of mortgages & LOC to at various stages.

          A really good broker could do this too, but I haven't tried personally.

          How about you let us know your starting point, it is very different if you already have several properties to starting from nothing. How much cash available - is it in the bank or a LOC?

          How many hours a week are you prepared to put into building the portfolio?

          Comment

          • tpr2
            Fanatical
            • Jun 2008
            • 2939

            #6
            Originally posted by Stevegoodey View Post
            I wonder if anyone actually had a great answer to this question if they would actually share it?
            Your not saying that if somebody actually had a formula for doing this they wouldn't share it would you Steve?

            I thought that was the whole premise these days, let the whole world know what the secret is for a small fee of $xxx dollars once you have attended my well presented seminar

            Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
            No matter how hard you try, someone always goes off track, but the 3rd post ?
            Read the stuff in Bold "Eagle Eyes" ???

            Hey sorry to be rude
            What I mean to say is, yes you can do that as well.
            I could see that was exactly what you were saying Bluekiwi

            This is not the first time the credit system has been tight for some of us investors.

            For a small fee of two pies and a coffee I can let you in on the magic ...or not so magic formula

            Comment

            • Bluekiwi
              Fanatical
              • May 2008
              • 4002

              #7
              Originally posted by tpr2 View Post
              Your not saying that if somebody actually had a formula for doing this they wouldn't share it would you Steve?

              I thought that was the whole premise these days, let the whole world know what the secret is for a small fee of $xxx dollars once you have attended my well presented seminar



              I could see that was exactly what you were saying Bluekiwi

              This is not the first time the credit system has been tight for some of us investors.

              For a small fee of two pies and a coffee I can let you in on the magic ...or not so magic formula
              Hey TPR I am always up for property talk - with or without the website - and I dont mind feeding anybody who is prepared to talk to me and share knowledge.

              Are you n Auckland city, I have the dubious honor of living in Torbay and working in Wiri so could meet you most days 4.00pm after work - anywhere that suits you and they have the kind of pies you like

              Cheers Paul

              Comment

              • EagleEyes
                Freshie
                • Jun 2009
                • 32

                #8
                Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
                No matter how hard you try, someone always goes off track, but the 3rd post ?
                Read the stuff in Bold "Eagle Eyes" ???

                Hey sorry to be rude
                What I mean to say is, yes you can do that as well.

                Bluekiwi - I think you miss my point. (It must be a man thing - do you think each extra property you own adds an inch to your ****?... Hey, sorry to be rude... )
                My point is... Isn't property just a vehicle to financial freedom? So isn't the point to make lots of money? I see it all the time - people doing a deal just cause they feel they need to do a deal, rather than making sure it is the right deal. So SAME AS YOU I AM TALKING ABOUT BUILDING A MASSIVE PORTFOLIO, but I am talking about looking at the goals from an actual financial viewpoint, not a number of properties viewpoint. It is subtely different.
                And what I was trying to say was, if your bank is restricting the number of deals you are able to do because of the timeframe to recycle out, then just move into bigger deals, which may mean less volume of deals to begin with but making the same MONEY in the end. ie buy a block of ten flats rather than buying 10 individual flats.
                And how do you do that? Equity partners and joint ventures. I believe it is the only way at the moment to move at an aggressive pace.

                Comment

                • WBuffett
                  Forum Junkie
                  • May 2009
                  • 337

                  #9
                  With all due respect eagleeyes and I am sure you had to buy a extra larger rular to measure the inches, but you are indeed missing the point bluekiwi made, he said exactly this :

                  And that you want to buy as much hold rental stock as you can, and as fast as possible, say 30 to 40 properties

                  So he was talking about it in a number of properties viewpoint, that was his umm point as it were.



                  Originally posted by EagleEyes View Post
                  Bluekiwi - I think you miss my point. (It must be a man thing - do you think each extra property you own adds an inch to your ****?... Hey, sorry to be rude... )
                  My point is... Isn't property just a vehicle to financial freedom? So isn't the point to make lots of money? I see it all the time - people doing a deal just cause they feel they need to do a deal, rather than making sure it is the right deal. So SAME AS YOU I AM TALKING ABOUT BUILDING A MASSIVE PORTFOLIO, but I am talking about looking at the goals from an actual financial viewpoint, not a number of properties viewpoint. It is subtely different.
                  And what I was trying to say was, if your bank is restricting the number of deals you are able to do because of the timeframe to recycle out, then just move into bigger deals, which may mean less volume of deals to begin with but making the same MONEY in the end. ie buy a block of ten flats rather than buying 10 individual flats.
                  And how do you do that? Equity partners and joint ventures. I believe it is the only way at the moment to move at an aggressive pace.

                  Comment

                  • Bluekiwi
                    Fanatical
                    • May 2008
                    • 4002

                    #10
                    Originally posted by EagleEyes View Post
                    Bluekiwi - I think you miss my point. (It must be a man thing - do you think each extra property you own adds an inch to your ****?... Hey, sorry to be rude... )
                    My point is... Isn't property just a vehicle to financial freedom? So isn't the point to make lots of money? I see it all the time - people doing a deal just cause they feel they need to do a deal, rather than making sure it is the right deal. So SAME AS YOU I AM TALKING ABOUT BUILDING A MASSIVE PORTFOLIO, but I am talking about looking at the goals from an actual financial viewpoint, not a number of properties viewpoint. It is subtely different.
                    And what I was trying to say was, if your bank is restricting the number of deals you are able to do because of the timeframe to recycle out, then just move into bigger deals, which may mean less volume of deals to begin with but making the same MONEY in the end. ie buy a block of ten flats rather than buying 10 individual flats.
                    And how do you do that? Equity partners and joint ventures. I believe it is the only way at the moment to move at an aggressive pace.
                    How do you know I am man ?

                    Okay lets change 30 to 40 properties to 10 Mil of property (whether its 40 at 250k or 20 at 500k is besides the point)

                    No where did I say many cheap properties with small profits

                    But nice comeback,

                    Yes its only really good deals with high yield and good price, add value potential and cap growth potential.

                    Why would you want lots of average deals for anyway ?

                    Sorry I did get carried away with your name and the possibility of you not reading the bolded text, I sincerely apoligise madam
                    Last edited by Bluekiwi; 07-07-2009, 02:37 PM.

                    Comment

                    • EagleEyes
                      Freshie
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 32

                      #11
                      Why would you want lots of average deals for anyway ?

                      [/quote]

                      EXACTLY! Who cares how many properties you own? They could all be cheap crap with no real equity in them. I know people with lots of properties and not actually any 'money' as such! Finally maybe you are seeing (and I say this to WBuffetts comment too) that we ARE ACTUALLY SAYING THE SAME THING - ie wanting to build a massive portfolio. - I just find people's focus on the number of properties a little ummm.. shortsighted. Because then you do run the risk of having lots of average deals.
                      So if you want to move fast, I would suggest spending a good proportion of your time finding some great JV partners and get onto the BIG stuff.

                      Comment

                      • eri
                        Fanatical
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 7621

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
                        No matter how hard you try, someone always goes off track, but the 3rd post ?
                        Read the stuff in Bold "Eagle Eyes" ???

                        Hey sorry to be rude
                        What I mean to say is, yes you can do that as well.
                        just don't bit$h and moan if your little empire collapses ok )
                        have you defeated them?
                        your demons

                        Comment

                        • Bluekiwi
                          Fanatical
                          • May 2008
                          • 4002

                          #13
                          Originally posted by eri View Post
                          just don't bit$h and moan if your little empire collapses ok )
                          Man whats everyone on today, steroids and grumpy pills

                          Comment

                          • Stevegoodey
                            Fanatical
                            • Mar 2005
                            • 1136

                            #14
                            Shudup, what do you mean, don't look at me like that...

                            Comment

                            • eri
                              Fanatical
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 7621

                              #15
                              what's that story a few weeks ago

                              teenage girl goes into a tattooist and asks for 56? stars to be carved into her face

                              then tries to sue him when everyone one says she looks like a freak

                              http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_w...ed_them_t.html
                              have you defeated them?
                              your demons

                              Comment

                              Working...