Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any conditions I should impose on archaeological digs on my property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any conditions I should impose on archaeological digs on my property?

Has anybody here had any experiences good or bad with Archaeological digs being done on their property. I am not the developer but have been asked by the local government to give permission for these digs to be carried out on my land to ensure there will be no issues with planned development.
    At this stage they have said that they only plan to do a few minor digs on the possible chance that something may be there but I am concerned that if something is found it may lead to a lot more digging/damage to the property and possibly restrict any future development/building that I may wish to do.
    Maybe I'm being paranoid but any advice would be appreciated.

Tell them to sod off... if they find a pile of old pipi shells, they'll want to erect a museum and turn it into a national park!
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

I worked for an archaeological company in Ireland. It takes a lot longer to complete a dig than what they plan for over there. Mostly because workers are on a contract and the company is paid per worker on site so no real incentive to finish the project quickly.

Some of the owners got compensation (I was working on a large roading project) but they had to chase it, if anything went on outside of the road cpo, ie access etc.

Tell them archaeological stuff is better left under ground as it is preserved there
      Last edited by Maccachic; 02-03-2012, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I know in Ireland it is regulation to carry out archaeological surveys before construction so may pay to check on regulations in your country?

Comment

unfortunately

while they are often great for the greater good

they are often a disaster for the land owner

start googling

"Archaeological dig landowner"

have you defeated them?
          your demons

Comment

I have to agree...the condition I would want you to impose would be one that says they can't come onto the property and conduct a dig.

Ever.

It's all risk and no reward for you.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the replies. As you can understand I dont want to provide all the details but from the info I've received its only a few minor digs which hopefully wont uncover more than they are expecting to find. There have been major digs in surrounding areas and development still proceeded so I think unless something unexpected is found there hopefully wont any issues.
                Sure I could refuse them permission but then if I wanted to develop in the the future then digs may be required anyway. I think a meeting is still needed with them before I decide.

Comment

I could be really interesting.

I loved working on the digs in Ireland, they uncovered 100+ 300 year old skeletons, found a knife, fighting pits, urns etc.

Comment

some years ago developers in the city of london stumbled apon the roman hypodrome while working on foundations for some big buisness tower

they knew londinium had one but they never knew where

the developers called the council archaeology team in and said they would delay constructuion for a month? for the dig

they knew the council could delay the dig as long as they wanted by passing bylaws etc but they pointed out that if that happened no otherr deveolper would ever be likely to inform them of any other finds in the future

the council agreed to the 1 mointh dig

got in quick, got lots of info etc. and then the concrete got poured

a great pity

but the city of london could not function if the entire racetrack was dug up

excuse the spelling, new computer, need to find and turn on the spell checker
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

Working...
                    X