Header Ad Module

Collapse

Why history doesn't repeat in the property market

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • exnzpat
    Addicted
    • Dec 2007
    • 816

    #16
    Milk Man,

    It is not me who needs to do more reading; it is you.

    My little dissertation (above) comes from being well versed in Macro and Micro economics, also too, in the business realities of being a business owner and from being a business employee. I have stated nothing new.

    I have been poor and I have been rich. At present, I am comfortable (for now). At anytime I am very aware that everything I have today could be gone tomorrow. I have worked “grunt jobs” and I have had “dream jobs.” There is no job too degrading that I would not accept if it meant feeding my family and keeping a roof over their heads, no matter how humble.

    The universe is a harsh and unyielding place. We use our Churches, governments, friends and families as shields between our individual lives and the cold reality of our physical world. We may tell ourselves that there is no God but at the end of the day, on our last breath, we will pray for one.

    Distracting yourself by attempting to determine my intentions, or who I am is pointless. Am I a Troll? If it makes you feel better – then yes I am. But, know this: I am not selling anything (not even the man behind exnzpat) and that should tell you all you need to know. Better to think of me as a Ghost-in-the-Machine or a Fly-in-the-Ointment. I have zero stake in the personalities that make up the New Zealand real-estate circle. From the fast talking lawyers to the property gurus and the want-a-be-property-millionaires; I am not impressed. I have the luxury of time, experience, and the gift-of-the-gab to call them out; challenge them, expose them or applaud them as I see fit. I am the unexpected guest: untouchable, unknowable and unseeing – surely that is enough for you?

    But, if you need more… pompous ass also comes to mind. I am a fat lonely loser who still lives with his mother, and who has the luxury of posting at 4am because my job at the Fish & Chip shop starts at 6pm and goes only to 10pm. I have all day to sleep. The rest of the time my fat stubby greasy fingers stumping away at the keys at 4am – Oh, the horror of the imagery! Perhaps I have never travelled beyond the confines of the Auckland CBD (except for that one time to see the specialist in Wellington for my morbid obesity).


    Could I be all these things? Some of those things? Or none of them?


    Could I be a lie?


    And if it is true of me -- then isn't it true of all of us?



    Last edited by exnzpat; 26-04-2009, 07:01 AM.
    Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

    http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

    Comment

    • mlkmnz
      Forum Junkie
      • Jan 2007
      • 482

      #17
      Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
      My little dissertation (above) comes from being well versed in Macro and Micro economics
      From the industrial revolution?
      Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
      It is not me who needs to do more reading; it is you.
      The search for knowledge is never ending, I won't profess to knowing everything but a fair few of your assertions just aren't based on reality, they're opinions from a position of ignorance. But instead of replying directly to the points I've raised you feel the need to list your life history (in multichoice format), which is really quite irrelevant to to the points, aside from that it seems you're trying to make out you've been there, done it all, therefore what you say must be the truth.
      Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
      I have stated nothing new.
      You're quite right, many are myths you can hear on talkback radio any day of the week. Grrrr. All those bludgers on the benefit are sucking the country dry (fun fact: about .1% of the population have been on an unemployment or domestic purposes benefit for more than 5 years).
      Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
      Distracting yourself by attempting to determine my intentions, or who I am is pointless.
      Depends. If you want to have a serious discussion about what you're talking about, that's fine but a lot of what you say is very questionable, you're stating opinion as if it were fact. If you're doing some subtle baiting/trolling, then that is pointless.



      Last edited by mlkmnz; 26-04-2009, 10:09 AM.

      Comment

      • Viking
        Fanatical
        • Sep 2008
        • 1533

        #18
        Originally posted by mlkmnz View Post
        Poor Roger. He means well but his policy is about as well thought out as the Greens
        No doubt you know a better way, perhaps you could explain it to us all from your tax free haven.

        Comment

        • exnzpat
          Addicted
          • Dec 2007
          • 816

          #19
          Originally posted by mlkmnz View Post
          Poor Roger. He means well but his policy is about as well thought out as the Greens
          One cannot overlook or underplay the role a government plays in its economy. Sure taxes can always be reduced, but in doing so, something must go – but what? That is the question.

          Sir Roger is on the mark with New Zealand’s Heath Care System – it is woefully underfunded. I think New Zealand has taken a good approach, and for all its faults, it’s pretty streamlined. Unfortunately, the government lacks the monetary fortitude to take Healthcare to the level that it deserves. A proper functioning Healthcare system should be a national priority (national not National).

          The dole and other programs that reward able bodied men and women to stay home are pointless and soul destroying to the individual. Welfare programs such as these encourage sloth and disrespect to authority. If it were left up to me the last dole check would be in the form of a one-way plane ticket to Australia. And I’d do it quick before the Australians noticed.

          And yes, these may be considered “sound bites” but in the very near future New Zealand will have to face these issues head-on. The days of the “free ride” are all but over – only the crying is left. How long? Difficult to tell – maybe 24 months – we shall see.

          As I have said before: this is no recession!
          Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

          http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

          Comment

          • Gonad
            Freshie
            • Mar 2009
            • 11

            #20
            Originally posted by mlkmnz View Post
            (fun fact: about .1% of the population have been on an unemployment or domestic purposes benefit for more than 5 years).


            By that stage they've figured out the sickness benefit pays better.

            Comment

            • mlkmnz
              Forum Junkie
              • Jan 2007
              • 482

              #21
              Originally posted by Gonad View Post
              By that stage they've figured out the sickness benefit pays better.
              Includes sickness benefit. But not invalid's benefit.

              Comment

              • mlkmnz
                Forum Junkie
                • Jan 2007
                • 482

                #22
                Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
                Sir Roger is on the mark with New Zealand’s Heath Care System – it is woefully underfunded.
                I think it's more mismanaged than underfunded. Health spend has gone through the roof with no tangible improvement in outcomes.
                Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
                The dole and other programs that reward able bodied men and women to stay home are pointless and soul destroying to the individual.
                I agree with your sentiment and that the best thing for an individual is to take responsibility for themselves for social, economical and an individual's wellbeing. But the social welfare system typically isn't very rewarding - it is the bare minimum to get by. 0% unemployment isn't possible so you're best to have a mechanism there to keep people food and clothed, otherwise they're more likely to break into your house or mug you.
                Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
                Welfare programs such as these encourage sloth and disrespect to authority.
                I'd argue those negative personality traits come more from the home and are there well before "nanny state" steps in to help out. Socialism has been shown to work in some countries, but they have a lot more cultural homogeneity than NZ as well as a much greater sense of collectivism. Likewise for capitalism, where it's shown to work well (Japan being the first example that springs to mind) you've a much different foundation than the countries where it hasn't worked as well overall. Although this is from a benefit to society as a whole view, not just how great the economy is running.

                The issue with most of the west is the rise in individualism. Elections are won and lost on the premise of "what's in it for me" as opposed to what's best for society. Supporters of the left are concerned what the state will give them, and for the right, it's mainly about how much more of my own money the state will let me keep. Neither work with such a diverse population.
                Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
                And yes, these may be considered “sound bites” but in the very near future New Zealand will have to face these issues head-on. The days of the “free ride” are all but over – only the crying is left. How long? Difficult to tell – maybe 24 months – we shall see.
                The future for most of western society (not just NZ) is very uncertain. Free market globalisation naturally means production shifts to where it can be done cheapest leaving established economies in a bit of a no mans land as to what the nature and size of it's economy will become. So yeah, government spend in the future is going to be dicey. I'd argue the US will fall over before NZ, they've most of our issues and then some.

                Cheers for engaging in a bit more intelligent debate though.

                Comment

                • donna
                  Administrator
                  • Aug 2003
                  • 10069

                  #23
                  Umm I agree I think the sickness benefit does pay better - a tenant (I once heard of ) switched to the sickness benefit when her child reached 18 years of age. I think prior to the switch - the unemployment and 'working for families' benefits were paying well - but when the child reached 18 and that benefit stopped - the sickness benefit was more rewarding.....with the added benefit of being able to smoke dope for 'health' reasons.

                  I suppose there is always the 'student loan' benefit too as a plan B, if the unforeseen happens and you're declared 'fit' as a fiddle.

                  Cheers,

                  Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


                  BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

                  Comment

                  • mlkmnz
                    Forum Junkie
                    • Jan 2007
                    • 482

                    #24
                    Working for Families is a tax credit not a benefit. It's there mainly to encourage childbirth because we have a badly aging population, and it encourages working, not being on a benefit.

                    Bloody beneficiaries.

                    Comment

                    • donna
                      Administrator
                      • Aug 2003
                      • 10069

                      #25
                      Originally posted by mlkmnz View Post
                      Working for Families is a tax credit not a benefit. It's there mainly to encourage childbirth because we have a badly aging population, and it encourages working, not being on a benefit.

                      Bloody beneficiaries.
                      I think the benefit is taxed and so it must be the credit on that tax - due to having a dependent.

                      Cheers,

                      Donna
                      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


                      BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

                      Comment

                      • mlkmnz
                        Forum Junkie
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 482

                        #26
                        You're dead on.

                        Comment

                        • skid
                          Fanatical
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 1075

                          #27
                          Or possibly kieren Tass

                          Comment

                          Working...