Header Ad Module

Collapse

First trade sold.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FreezingandHot
    Addicted
    • Feb 2005
    • 624

    #1

    First trade sold.

    Hi All

    I have just settled on my first trade and would like to show you all a rough breakdown of the figures, positives/negatives of the trade and a general overview of how it all went.

    First off I would like to thank a few people who helped and pushed me to do this.

    These guys in the words of Billy T are "CHOICE".

    Dean Letfus, Grant Clifton, Kris Pederson.

    Dean Letfus, I remember asking you about this deal, and whether it would be a good buy for the price, your reply was "Well if it was me, I would buy it", thats all you had to say, in my own mind I knew it was but at the time I needed assurance and you provided it, so thanks for all you have done for my investing and your massive action newsletters are the bomb, your advice over the last few months has been invaluable and without your support I dont think I would have done it.

    Grant, although I have only known you a while, you have definatley made me think outside the square, and doing the GBI coarse as you suggested will be the best money I have spent, thanks for taking the time to help me with my investing and all the best with yours.

    Kris, thanks for the help with the finance, I hit a brick wall with the amount I could borrow and you helped me gain another 95k by being creative with the numbers, without you help there would be no deal, so thanks so much also. I know this may all sound like an acceptance speach at the oscars but I wanted to thank these guys as they gave their valuable time to me for free, so I owe you all dinner at least, so call me if you want to take me up on that offer.

    Here are the rough numbers

    Purchase Price: 250k
    Renovations: 15k
    Holding:5K
    Trust/lawyers/conveyancy: 5k

    Sell Price: $318k

    Profit: $37,333
    Tax: $12,319 (rough caculations)

    Net Profit: $25k

    These numbers are a rough estimate at the moment as I will be paying income tax on profit along with gst from sale price in the next month or so, but these numbers are pretty close.

    As for the trade, would I do it again? You betcha!!
    Would I do the work myself? not in a million years!!

    If you decide that a buy/do-up is for you, by all means do it, but you should decide before you sign if you are going to get trades people to do the work or do it yourself, I found out doing this trade that I was not cut out for doing any manual labour(hence my desk job) so if this is not for you, set your numbers to allow for someone else to do the work, as Dean says 10% for a good do up should be minimum and after doing this I realised how true that figure is, as you can see from the numbers I did manage to keep the reno costs down, if I had paid someone else to do the work it would have cost an extra 10k. But saying that what was my time worth, I realise that I would be better off loooking at more deals. These have been good lessons for me.

    I managed to sell this property private also which helped with the profit margin, so if you are thinking of selling private, make sure it is at a fair market price, especially if you need to sell in a hurry as holding costs can eat away at your profit in a very small amount of time, this deal had pushed my holding costs to the limit and we were under some real pressure to sell, thankfully I talked to the man upstairs and he helped me out with this.

    I hav'nt put any photos on here of the before/after shots as I dont know how, Im sure someone on here will show me how.
    I am sure there will be questions to follow so ready when you are.

    FH
    Last edited by FreezingandHot; 09-11-2006, 12:24 PM.
    Home Buyz
    [email protected]
  • Gerrard
    ***** Junkie
    • Jan 2004
    • 1093

    #2
    Hey Patrick - awesome result. That kind of cash in the pocket is well worth the learning for next time!

    A few questions from me:

    How did you find this property?

    How did you know it was undervalued or had potential to sell for more once done up?

    What reno work did you do?

    Cheers
    Gerrard

    Comment

    • FreezingandHot
      Addicted
      • Feb 2005
      • 624

      #3
      Originally posted by Gerrard View Post
      Hey Patrick - awesome result. That kind of cash in the pocket is well worth the learning for next time!

      A few questions from me:

      How did you find this property?

      How did you know it was undervalued or had potential to sell for more once done up?

      What reno work did you do?
      Found the property by ringing the agent, original agreement was for $260k but managed to get 10k taken off the price by telling agent that reno costs were going to cost me more. You can still negotiate even after an agreement has been signed.

      I knew the property was undervalued because of recent sales in the street, I had no RV done on it, but I know the area fairly well.

      I did the painting, sanded & polyed floors, landscaping, tiling in the bathroom, toilet, had friends who helped with the kitchen/bathroom as this was outside my expertise. Had a builder friend do the deck at a great price.

      FH
      Last edited by FreezingandHot; 09-11-2006, 10:43 AM.
      Home Buyz
      [email protected]

      Comment

      • SuperDad
        Hamilton Event Organiser
        • Apr 2006
        • 4015

        #4
        Congratulations Patrick - that's a great result.

        Thanks for sharing your deal on this forum, so that people like me can learn from your experiences.

        Paul.

        Comment

        • FreezingandHot
          Addicted
          • Feb 2005
          • 624

          #5
          Sweet Superdad!!

          Trying to give something back as I have taken so much.

          FH
          Home Buyz
          [email protected]

          Comment

          • xris
            Fanatical
            • Nov 2005
            • 3283

            #6
            Patrick,

            Congratulations on a good trade and on so clearly going through how it was done.

            xris

            Comment

            • Stevegoodey
              Fanatical
              • Mar 2005
              • 1136

              #7
              Originally posted by FreezingHot View Post
              Net Profit: $25k


              FH
              Sure is better than working for a living.

              Comment

              • Jumpin
                Fanatical
                • Jun 2006
                • 1293

                #8
                Good on you Patrick, well done!
                Made a profit and learned some lessons. Cant beat that.

                Tim

                Comment

                • FreezingandHot
                  Addicted
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 624

                  #9
                  Goal to go fulltime by the end of 2007 . Cool
                  Home Buyz
                  [email protected]

                  Comment

                  • cube
                    Thinking outside the square.
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 5076

                    #10
                    Well done Patrick.

                    Of course, you are now asking yourself "What would it have looked like as a Lease Option......?"

                    Isn't it great to have so many options (no pun intended!)

                    cube
                    DFTBA

                    Comment

                    • FreezingandHot
                      Addicted
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 624

                      #11
                      Damn, did the coarse after I signed someebody up

                      FH
                      Home Buyz
                      [email protected]

                      Comment

                      • No Regrets
                        Opinionated
                        • Apr 2005
                        • 148

                        #12
                        Thanks

                        Thanks FH for a very informative post. If we could see some before and after pics that would be awesome.

                        I know just what you mean about the do it yourself vs trades people, I always like to do things myself, my wife thinks it is because im a control freak but next time I think I too will be paying the people that know what they are doing, for the big jobs anyway
                        No Regrets

                        Comment

                        • payjisan
                          Opinionated
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 223

                          #13
                          Thanks for sharing details of the deal Patrick, thats a flipping awesome result! How many weeks was it from finding the deal to settlement going through?
                          payji-san dayo, SAN! sonkei shiro!

                          Comment

                          • FreezingandHot
                            Addicted
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 624

                            #14
                            Pay, I got early access to the property July 12th, settled the 1st August sold 7th of November. So about 3.5 months.

                            How you going with your deals.

                            FH
                            Home Buyz
                            [email protected]

                            Comment

                            • Gerrard
                              ***** Junkie
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 1093

                              #15
                              I knew the property was undervalued because of recent sales in the street, I had no RV done on it, but I know the area fairly well.
                              Sounds like your research about recent sales sure paid off!

                              So did you get to it before others did or had it been sitting on the market for a while?

                              How long were you looking and how many offers had you made before this one happened?

                              Gerrard

                              Comment

                              Working...