Hi all,
I had a good week last week, or at least I think that I did.
My broker got me pre-approved for my first lot of lo-doc lending. While I might not need to use it, it seems good to have this finance as a backup if standard lending doesn't come through (due to serviceability).
But am I missing something, because the finance seems too good to be true? Here's my situation:
I currently have one property, which has an after renovations value (ARV) that is $110K higher than the purchase price plus renovations. Bank A, which holds security over the property, has agreed to lend to 90% of the ARV. So I will have $100K sitting in a revolving credit/LOC facility in a day or two.
Lender B will loan up to 70% on a lo-doc loan - I have pre-approval for this facility. (I can go to 80% with Lender B after 1 year of self employment.) My broker confirmed that I could use the $110K equity increase in my property as income, for the purposes of the income declaration for Lender B. Keep in mind that the $110K equity increase seems to be tax-free income. It is tax free because the property that generated that "income" is a buy-and-hold. I did not have to sell the property to access that income, unlike with a trade.
So it seems to me that I am getting "two bites of the cherry", so to speak. I can release the increased equity for Property 1 to use as a deposit on more property, and it seems that that released equity is not taxable. Further, I can declare that equity as "income" for the purpose of a obtaining further finance.
Theoretically, so long as I make the right purchases, there is no stopping my investing. All I need to do is make sure that: (1) my property purchases are CF neutral, such that rental income covers interest repayments, rates, insurances and maintenance, and (2) that the ARV on each property purchase enables me to roll out a deposit for the next property. So say that my next purchase is as follows:
Purchase price: $280K
Renovations: $10K
ARV: $350K
On a lo-doc 70% loan, I will need to have an $84K deposit, plus $10K to cover reno costs. This will leave me borrowing $196K from Lender B on lo-doc. Then, after renovations, I can borrow up to 70% of the ARV on lo-doc, declaring the $60K equity increase as my income. (If I do this in the same year as my first property, I can add the $60K to the $110K "income" from my first property.) 70% of the ARV of $350K = $245K. Less the $196K already borrowed from Lender B, this frees up $49K. Not quite enough for another 30% deposit, but money nonetheless. After one year of self-employment, I can then borrow up to 80% on lo-doc. All of a sudden, the calculations swing in my favour. I can now borrow up to $280K against Property 2, which frees up $84K. I'm house hunting again. From that point on, there seems to be no stopping (so long as I get the ratio of purchase price to ARV correct, and the properties are CF neutral).
The ball is in my court. No more do I have to worry about hitting a "serviceability wall", due to lenders only taking into account 75% of rental income. As long as I know that the properties are at least CF neutral, I can get the money due to (honestly) declaring the equity increases I create through renovations and wise purchasing. The absolute beauty of this strategy seems to be that I don't need to worry about "advanced" strategies like trading or LO/SLO's. I don't need to sell properties at a profit, and pay income tax on the gains. I can simply access those gains tax free. (The downside is that one needs to run at a high LVR. But I don't see a big problem with this if one has a long-term horizon, and the properties can pay their own way. I could run a high LVR over my portfolio for 5 years, and then sit back and wait for capital gains to reduce the LVR.)
Again, have I missed something? Or am I waking up to the world of finance? Is there anyone else out there who is using lo-doc lending in this way?
Apart from the high LVR, does anyone know of dangers associated with what I suggest?
Paul.
I had a good week last week, or at least I think that I did.
My broker got me pre-approved for my first lot of lo-doc lending. While I might not need to use it, it seems good to have this finance as a backup if standard lending doesn't come through (due to serviceability).
But am I missing something, because the finance seems too good to be true? Here's my situation:
I currently have one property, which has an after renovations value (ARV) that is $110K higher than the purchase price plus renovations. Bank A, which holds security over the property, has agreed to lend to 90% of the ARV. So I will have $100K sitting in a revolving credit/LOC facility in a day or two.
Lender B will loan up to 70% on a lo-doc loan - I have pre-approval for this facility. (I can go to 80% with Lender B after 1 year of self employment.) My broker confirmed that I could use the $110K equity increase in my property as income, for the purposes of the income declaration for Lender B. Keep in mind that the $110K equity increase seems to be tax-free income. It is tax free because the property that generated that "income" is a buy-and-hold. I did not have to sell the property to access that income, unlike with a trade.
So it seems to me that I am getting "two bites of the cherry", so to speak. I can release the increased equity for Property 1 to use as a deposit on more property, and it seems that that released equity is not taxable. Further, I can declare that equity as "income" for the purpose of a obtaining further finance.
Theoretically, so long as I make the right purchases, there is no stopping my investing. All I need to do is make sure that: (1) my property purchases are CF neutral, such that rental income covers interest repayments, rates, insurances and maintenance, and (2) that the ARV on each property purchase enables me to roll out a deposit for the next property. So say that my next purchase is as follows:
Purchase price: $280K
Renovations: $10K
ARV: $350K
On a lo-doc 70% loan, I will need to have an $84K deposit, plus $10K to cover reno costs. This will leave me borrowing $196K from Lender B on lo-doc. Then, after renovations, I can borrow up to 70% of the ARV on lo-doc, declaring the $60K equity increase as my income. (If I do this in the same year as my first property, I can add the $60K to the $110K "income" from my first property.) 70% of the ARV of $350K = $245K. Less the $196K already borrowed from Lender B, this frees up $49K. Not quite enough for another 30% deposit, but money nonetheless. After one year of self-employment, I can then borrow up to 80% on lo-doc. All of a sudden, the calculations swing in my favour. I can now borrow up to $280K against Property 2, which frees up $84K. I'm house hunting again. From that point on, there seems to be no stopping (so long as I get the ratio of purchase price to ARV correct, and the properties are CF neutral).
The ball is in my court. No more do I have to worry about hitting a "serviceability wall", due to lenders only taking into account 75% of rental income. As long as I know that the properties are at least CF neutral, I can get the money due to (honestly) declaring the equity increases I create through renovations and wise purchasing. The absolute beauty of this strategy seems to be that I don't need to worry about "advanced" strategies like trading or LO/SLO's. I don't need to sell properties at a profit, and pay income tax on the gains. I can simply access those gains tax free. (The downside is that one needs to run at a high LVR. But I don't see a big problem with this if one has a long-term horizon, and the properties can pay their own way. I could run a high LVR over my portfolio for 5 years, and then sit back and wait for capital gains to reduce the LVR.)
Again, have I missed something? Or am I waking up to the world of finance? Is there anyone else out there who is using lo-doc lending in this way?
Apart from the high LVR, does anyone know of dangers associated with what I suggest?
Paul.


Comment