Header Ad Module

Collapse

Loan Repayments

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rohb
    Freshie
    • Jun 2006
    • 62

    #1

    Loan Repayments

    IS there any advantage having your loan Term for longer periods,Paying less repayment now and building cash flow.So when you reached your end of fixed term you pay it on what you saved.Do you get penalised for it? Lets say 25year term laon period (pay the minimum) Fixed it (3years) after the 3years anything you saved is payed to get rid of some principal so the next fixed term you set,the loan principal is less.....Iam hopeless in math.I usually just get the bank manager work this out for me.
    Take it easy!
  • Monkeyboy
    CHCH Event Organiser
    • Jul 2005
    • 735

    #2
    Maybe not

    Hi Rohb

    Here's my calculations
    I used 8% and 30yr loan

    $100,000 P & I
    Repayments @ 8% $733pm
    after 3 years $2636 paid off principal

    I/O Loan $666pm (thats scary)
    Saving $67pm over 3yrs $2412

    Next 3yrs still at 8% $733pm
    after another 3yrs $6068 off principal
    Balance $93,932

    I/O Loan $97,588
    repayment $650pm saving $2988 paying off principal
    Balance $94,600

    It would seem that this wont work out beneficial in the long run. The distance between the 2 is only increasing.
    If anyone wants to challenge these figures, please do as I may not be fully accurate. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do this calculation.
    Last edited by Monkeyboy; 25-07-2006, 01:16 PM.
    [email protected]

    Comment

    • KLOUD9

      #3
      Think about it!

      Serious investors use any positive cashflow to pay off NON TAX DEDUCTABLE DEBT FIRST! If you pay down your investment mortgage, you are reducing your tax deductability over time.

      Interest Only is the best basis as along as you use the surplus casflow to pay off other debt like above.

      Comment

      • spurner
        Fanatical
        • Apr 2005
        • 1583

        #4
        Go Io

        IMO IO is definately the way to go, you will have better cashflow to spend on other property or yourself, and you can enjoy that money now.

        The money you borrow from the bank will be amongst the cheapest money you ever get loaned in your life. Rather than pay it back try and re-invest it to create more money, such as building a garage, doing renovations and painting to increase value and rent, or saving that money for a deposit on another property.

        The money you repay will pale in significance to the capital gains you will be receiving in the future, if you have bought averagely or better.

        Comment

        • Monkeyboy
          CHCH Event Organiser
          • Jul 2005
          • 735

          #5
          With you all the way there spurner. I was only doing the calculations, which only served to remind me that especially in the first 3 years, the difference saved on IO is much better in my pocket than the banks. Once I have enough properties will I sell and reduce my mortgages. Still a long way off yet.
          [email protected]

          Comment

          • spurner
            Fanatical
            • Apr 2005
            • 1583

            #6
            And very fine calculations they are! P&I is only $15pw more than IO but property values are going up alot more than $15pw! I'm with you: buy twice as many properties, hold for 7-10 years and then sell to repay the balance of debt.

            Originally posted by Monkeyboy
            With you all the way there spurner. I was only doing the calculations, which only served to remind me that especially in the first 3 years, the difference saved on IO is much better in my pocket than the banks. Once I have enough properties will I sell and reduce my mortgages. Still a long way off yet.

            Comment

            • casacamo
              Forum Junkie
              • Apr 2004
              • 295

              #7
              Originally posted by KLOUD9
              Interest Only is the best basis as along as you use the surplus casflow to pay off other debt like above.
              Our bank is telling us that we can only do IO for a limited period (5yrs) and then the loan must revert to P&I at much higher repayments as the 30yr term will now be 25yr. Has anyone else struck this problem, or is it time to refinance thruogh another institution.
              I can't believe the bank wants us to go down this track, shouldn't they just be able to restructure the existing loan or create a new one.

              Comment

              • Monkeyboy
                CHCH Event Organiser
                • Jul 2005
                • 735

                #8
                Yes the bank will only want to do IO for 5 years, however they will then renegotiate IO for another term. It really depends on the bank. A simple threat that you will look elsewhere should be enough to convince the lender to keep you at IO. And after 5 years your properties will have increased in value so your LVR levels will give the bank its comfort anyway. Also as a PI you are probably going to have to change your structures, that is, you will have more borrowing and different loans to juggle anyway so you may have to move things around. Your loans should never be static and continually looked at to see if you have the best deal anyway. The more banks you have the better flexibility anyway.
                [email protected]

                Comment

                • cube
                  Thinking outside the square.
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 5076

                  #9
                  In monkeyboy's example, IO is the way to go to maximise cashflow, but its what you do with the $67 per month that matters.

                  If you use it to fill up your car with gas (OK 1/2 full), then you'd be better off paying of the mortgage. However, if you use it to invest in something growing faster than your interest rate (e.g. shares in an oil company), then you are getting ahead.

                  cube
                  DFTBA

                  Comment

                  • TWT
                    Freshie
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 98

                    #10
                    I like the Pyramid purchasing concept described by Michael Yardney in his new book "how to build a million dollar portfolio - in your spare time"
                    This book is for anyone who want to secure their financial future but is confused about all the contradictory financial advice out there.It's a practical 

                    (although this concept is not new to me ... I like the way he describes and supports it + he has over 300 million in assets and has been through 3 complete cycles!)

                    Using your properties (well positioned and in above average growth areas that you can add value to) to purchase the next using (LOC's) and eventually then accessing your annual goal ammount out of the equity tax free as it is a loan and not classed as income... meanwhile your LVR and thus servicability is going up every year by your compounding property portfolio capital gains funding your retirement.

                    Comment

                    Working...