Please excuse the can of worms.
Over dinner last night, a good friend and I discussed one of my clients who has recently begun wrapping. My friend is a mortgage broker, owner of several properties but found the concept of wrapping abhorrant.
Reading through the loan agreement this morning I had to agree. The borrower is liable to pay a further six months of interest in the event they refinance in the first two years, three up to five years and then a month after that. The borrower pays an inflated price (which I understand and believe is reasonable) to cover the risk for the wrapper, but the other fees and charges are just draconian, also the borrower actually has no legal entitlement over the property other than a caveat (which in a recent court case I have found is about as useful as a promissory note). If the wrapper goes broke the borrower will lose their home as the bank has the first mortgage over the property (so the repayments could simply disappear).
I understand all the jazz about helping someone to own their own home, but I find this argument a little shallow as unless the property market starts to bound along rapidly there is not much chance of them refinancing at a lower rate as their equity will be insufficient to buy out the wrapper. With all the additional costs I just can't see how the borrower will ever get ahead.
To further qualify this the agreement was supplied by one of the larger firms in the area and appears to be a standard agreement.
Have I truly missed the point with wraps??? I just can't get my head around the ethics of it.
Over dinner last night, a good friend and I discussed one of my clients who has recently begun wrapping. My friend is a mortgage broker, owner of several properties but found the concept of wrapping abhorrant.
Reading through the loan agreement this morning I had to agree. The borrower is liable to pay a further six months of interest in the event they refinance in the first two years, three up to five years and then a month after that. The borrower pays an inflated price (which I understand and believe is reasonable) to cover the risk for the wrapper, but the other fees and charges are just draconian, also the borrower actually has no legal entitlement over the property other than a caveat (which in a recent court case I have found is about as useful as a promissory note). If the wrapper goes broke the borrower will lose their home as the bank has the first mortgage over the property (so the repayments could simply disappear).
I understand all the jazz about helping someone to own their own home, but I find this argument a little shallow as unless the property market starts to bound along rapidly there is not much chance of them refinancing at a lower rate as their equity will be insufficient to buy out the wrapper. With all the additional costs I just can't see how the borrower will ever get ahead.
To further qualify this the agreement was supplied by one of the larger firms in the area and appears to be a standard agreement.
Have I truly missed the point with wraps??? I just can't get my head around the ethics of it.


Comment