After some advice from some of you seasoned professionals....
As someone attempting to buy their first IP, am I better of purchasing two at $200k(or less), or one at $400k?
I am looking in the areas of Manurewa, Mangere, etc for the $200k stuff.
Most of the $200k type level properties are really struggling to be rented for more than about $270-280/week, which makes the cashflow neutral point extremely low....
My goal is to buy pre-tax cashflow neutral (or preferably positive!), but the offers I'd have to put in on a house which rents for $280 is so far below what most people are asking, I'm beginning to wonder if there is even any point making the offer?
RevIQ is telling me that on a place with an asking price of $210k, with rental of $280/week, even if I managed to buy it at $160k (with 20% cash deposit), it would still be $118/pa cashflow negative.
$50k is one massive discount on a property with an asking price of $210k... not impossible, but highly unlikely for a first-timer.
Going IO rather than P&I means I could possibly pay $170k, but that's still pretty hard going.
So... a bit confused. Have spent the last 6 months reading everything on PI I can get my hands on... now have the LAQC, lawyer, and accountant stuff all ready and am trying to jump in there and actually buy something, but I haven't yet been able to find anything even "in the ballpark" of where I would need the price/rent combo to be to make it work.
My goal is to own lots of properties for long term buy-and-hold, so I can't afford to negatively gear these initial ones.
As someone attempting to buy their first IP, am I better of purchasing two at $200k(or less), or one at $400k?
I am looking in the areas of Manurewa, Mangere, etc for the $200k stuff.
Most of the $200k type level properties are really struggling to be rented for more than about $270-280/week, which makes the cashflow neutral point extremely low....
My goal is to buy pre-tax cashflow neutral (or preferably positive!), but the offers I'd have to put in on a house which rents for $280 is so far below what most people are asking, I'm beginning to wonder if there is even any point making the offer?
RevIQ is telling me that on a place with an asking price of $210k, with rental of $280/week, even if I managed to buy it at $160k (with 20% cash deposit), it would still be $118/pa cashflow negative.
$50k is one massive discount on a property with an asking price of $210k... not impossible, but highly unlikely for a first-timer.
Going IO rather than P&I means I could possibly pay $170k, but that's still pretty hard going.
So... a bit confused. Have spent the last 6 months reading everything on PI I can get my hands on... now have the LAQC, lawyer, and accountant stuff all ready and am trying to jump in there and actually buy something, but I haven't yet been able to find anything even "in the ballpark" of where I would need the price/rent combo to be to make it work.
My goal is to own lots of properties for long term buy-and-hold, so I can't afford to negatively gear these initial ones.


Comment