Header Ad Module

Collapse

Investing in NZ - Watch where you buy

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Marc
    Strong Fences make Good Neighbours
    • Jul 2003
    • 3853

    #1

    Investing in NZ - Watch where you buy

    Hi all,

    This posting maybe quite controversial to some members and maybe even be offensive. I apologise for this but I must try and get overseas investors to understand how different NZ is to a lot of other countries that some members are based in. I may also be called a little over zealous in my warning - if so I welcome further discussion within this thread.

    I have been asked by the number of members about certain areas of NZ especially areas where house prices are very cheap - less than 50k NZD. There are many reasons why the areas are cheap (on the overseas investors scale) but one reason is that the area is rough. Now rough in Aussie or the UK maybe different from what Kiwi's would call rough.

    In some areas of NZ rough may mean that there is a gang war going on - maybe between the Black Power and the Mongrel Mob - maybe even the police don’t go near certain areas for fear of their own lives.

    I have had one member talk about children walking up to their neighbors house and doing a number 2 right on the front door step - while the member was standing there with the real estate agent on the same street looking at a property for sale!

    You may hear for members from other forums sending out emails of listings around NZ that they have received from real estate agents - this is a great idea but be warned some of the areas maybe rough. Please all of you research research and research your area. If you have any questions about NZ post them in this forum - there are enough NZ members who can help you in understanding what an area is like. You may even have someone respond that is lives in the area.

    Best Regards

    Marc
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com
  • westan
    Freshie
    • Nov 2003
    • 45

    #2
    hi Marc

    thanks for the warning.

    i remember being told the further north you go the worse it gets, what do people think about this as a generalization

    also these problems don't seem to exist in the south Island, is my assesment correct.

    thanks westan
    Invest in the USA for 20% returns. Contact me at [email protected] for details.

    Comment

    • RodC
      Freshie
      • Sep 2003
      • 84

      #3
      Thanks Marc,

      I certainly think you've made a very valid point. It really all comes down to research. My own view is that there's nothing quite like getting on the ground and walking around some of these towns to see what the "feel" is like. I know when I was last there many of the places made a very different impression to that which had been gained over the internet.

      regards,

      Rod.

      Comment

      • muppet
        Banned
        • Sep 2003
        • 10593

        #4
        Hi Guys

        Welcome to the forum, Westan.

        Valid point Rod. It does make a difference when you actually visit places you are interested in.

        I see that the valuation of Whangerei is now around $9b and rising.
        Mainly because of the movement of Aucklanders northwards.
        Also Tauranga has got too expensive and is too far away and with the extension of the Northern motorway to start soon it will be quicker yet travelling north.

        Regards

        Comment

        • tamara
          ***** Junkie
          • Aug 2003
          • 413

          #5
          Westan

          I believe that every part of New Zealand will have sociopolitical issues that will need to be considered when purchasing investment properties. I think that it would be a very broad generalisation to limit your search south just because of the issues raised by Marc.

          Marc has made a very valid point regarding the nature of due dilligence needing to be undertaken when investing in New Zealand. I think the main point is to make sure that you understand the community you are considering to make your purchase in.

          Tamara
          You don't know how great things are until you loose it.

          Comment

          • crazysydneydude
            Freshie
            • Dec 2003
            • 14

            #6
            Hey all this is my first post at this awesome site! Many thanks to people who are helping international investors with tips about avoiding dodgy areas. Can anyone elaborate about the merits of Wanganui?

            Comment

            • cube
              Thinking outside the square.
              • Jun 2005
              • 5076

              #7
              Welcome, crazysydneydude.

              Wanganui has not had much capital gain when other regions/towns around it have (Palmerston North, New Plymouth). It isn't quite a picturesque as New Plymouth, and does have the dynamics of Palmerston North (large Uni campus), but eventually its property must catch up with the others.

              Only question is how long....

              cube
              DFTBA

              Comment

              • Motivstorm
                Freshie
                • Dec 2003
                • 4

                #8
                Hi, What about Normanby and Hawera, what are your thoughts about them?

                Comment

                • inzvestor
                  Forum Junkie
                  • Sep 2003
                  • 274

                  #9
                  Originally posted by westan
                  i remember being told the further north you go the worse it gets, what do people think about this as a generalization
                  I wouldn't agree with that statement at all.
                  There are pockets of land where I would happily live and that have great potential for development.

                  A lot of money is being brought to the local economy in the far north through Tourism.

                  In saying this there are places I would never invest or live in (and some I wouldn't even drive through)

                  The North is still relatively undiscovered as most NZ'ers don't even venture north of the Harbour Bridge !!

                  Comment

                  • LeanneS
                    Opinionated
                    • Sep 2003
                    • 151

                    #10
                    Now rough in Aussie or the UK maybe different from what Kiwi's would call rough.

                    In some areas of NZ rough may mean that there is a gang war going on - maybe between the Black Power and the Mongrel Mob - maybe even the police don’t go near certain areas for fear of their own lives.
                    I recently sold a place in London which is next to a busstop with a "Witnesses to murder please come forward" sign next to it. The primary school has had playground stabbings and the police travel in vans in packs of 6-8. There was a kidnapping/siege situation last year and parts of the area were cordoned off entirely. A small boy tried to steal my wallet and the threatened to have me arrested for assault when I smacked his hand out of my pocket. Yardie murders are common.

                    The biggest difference I can see between rough areas of UK and NZ (having discussed this with NZ police, as well) is that yardies keep to themselves (yardie-on-yardie violence only) and Polynesian children tend to be physically bigger than other children.

                    Note - this is why I sold; I figured any tenant I got was not likely to be worth having a business relationship with. Even several of my buyers were dodgy as hell.

                    So I disagree that NZ rough is rougher than other countries' rough. However, I completely agree and underline what Marc has said about due diligence.[/quote]

                    Comment

                    • Marc
                      Strong Fences make Good Neighbours
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 3853

                      #11
                      Hello Leanne!

                      Very good points!. You have highlighted a lack of understanding on my part on what some areas of the UK can be like. I must admit that I have no real knowledge of the UK rental scene nor of what you have stated as UK rough! Thanks for the information.
                      I wanted to post my concern at what some overseas investors are doing in NZ - buying up what they consider dirt cheap property but failing to understand what they are getting themselves into in regards to the actual location of the property. You are right Leanne in that it is inconsequential what country you are looking in - its still the same rough!

                      Best regards

                      Marc
                      Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

                      Comment

                      • westan
                        Freshie
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 45

                        #12
                        hi all


                        Motivstorm, has you received and email recently ??? perhaps a "mini email" (normanby and Hawera)

                        in regards to my comment about the quality of tenmants up north it was said by a banker in Timaru. so perhaps there is a bit of NI and SI rivalry, but thats the feel i get travelling around also. Thanks Tamara, yes i would base a decision to buy solely on that advice, actually i bought in the NI as well as the south.

                        Boy wanganui is certainly attracting a lot of interest from Australian investors.

                        Thanks for the warm welcome guys

                        regards westan
                        Invest in the USA for 20% returns. Contact me at [email protected] for details.

                        Comment

                        • RentMaster
                          Addicted
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 914

                          #13
                          When you talk abnout rough, I still think NZ is a very good place to live. There are only a few people/areas who bring the rest down. Our police dont carry guns (unless they are the special squad). Kids dont go to school with guns. Murders etc are very rare. A lot of foreigners come to NZ because it is considered a good place to bring up their kids.

                          To say that the north is bad is again a generalisation. The far north has a reputation for drug plantations and people living in caravans, but places like Whangarei are very nice, and there is some excellent seaside properties which sell for $millions.

                          As far as buying properties is concerned, due dilligence is vital. As has been pointed out, walking/driving down the nearby streets of where you want to buy will tell you how rough it is. Rough people tend to have rough houses. A rusting car on the front lawn or a 10 foot high fence with barbed wire is a bad sign.

                          I personally think it is best to purchase more expensive properties in the better areas. You tend to get better tenants, better neighbours, and better capital gains. Sometimes easier said than done though.

                          My 2c.

                          Comment

                          • Motivstorm
                            Freshie
                            • Dec 2003
                            • 4

                            #14
                            yes westan,

                            i have recently received a mini email. does anyone knows about those locations and whether there's any rivalry? normanby is a very small argricultural town, so hmmm.... just wondering whether it's in one of those Not worth investing in Areas.

                            Comment

                            • wada
                              Opinionated
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 158

                              #15
                              Hi, What about Normanby and Hawera, what are your thoughts about them?
                              Motivstorm I have several IP's in Hawera (not in Normanby though) and know the area really well as I'm one of the local cops there. If you want any qn's answered about the area on a business and personal point drop me a PM.

                              For other readers I recommend calling the local cop shop and asking about the 'good' and 'bad' areas. Most are are more than happy to answer these types of questions.

                              Wada

                              Comment

                              Working...