Header Ad Module

Collapse

Steve Goodey My Story

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Stevegoodey
    Fanatical
    • Mar 2005
    • 1136

    #1

    Steve Goodey My Story

    Thanks to some kind words from Gerrard and Fudosan I have decided to inflict you with my story so far, In the hope that it will show that with the right attitude and some help from those that have done it any things possible.

    I bought my first property just on 4 years ago now while my wife and I where still flatting in Wellington.
    We had a mate who needed to get out of a property in Lower Hutt it was worth $95,000.
    It was your average 3 bedroom ex state up and down flat.

    I offered my mate $85,000 for it because thats what he needed at the time, he accepted.
    I then had to figure out how I was going to pay for it, but having just read Rich Dad poor dad I figured that I was bullet proof and could not fail (wish I had bottled some if it at the time).

    Even though I had no money at all.... Like zip I think I may have had like $1200 in a savings account but thats it.

    So I read everything I could get my hands on and decided It would have to be a no money down deal.

    I changed the contract for sale and purchase to read that I would pay $95,000 for the property, and then wrote a side agreement with my mate the vendor saying that if I settled on time on settlement day I would get a $10,000 discount.

    So off to the bank I go and ask for a 90% loan on the value of $95,000 the bank said yes presuming that the shortfall between purchase price and finance figure was to be my deposit, I settled paying the vendor $85,000 and using the $500 for legal cost's.

    The following week my tenants gave notice, and told me that there mother wanted to move in so that was cool, I put the rent up from $190 per week to $220.

    Later I sat back and figured out that this property was getting me a 12.5% return, but at the time I was just happy that it was covering the bills.

    A year after buying this flat I sold it when an agent brought me an offer unsolicited for $155,000.
    I sold and the following week bought another unit in the same block for $111,500 renovated this at a cost of $11,500 doing all the work myself.
    I sold this property 2 weeks later for $157,500.

    At this point I had to sit back and figure that I had managed to make just over $100k in 12 months.

    At the same time I had been working 50 hours a week to earn $45,000 per year, and so when I was fired from my "Day" job a couple of months later I decided to not get another regular job.

    Instead I took my former employer (a well known NZ retail chain) to employment court and won enough money to pay a deposit on 2 more houses.

    At this stage I was still flatting in Wellington and had not purchased a home to live in for myself.
    I'm convinced this was a good move up until this point I had been living rather cheaply and did not know what I was missing.

    At this point it was time to buy a real home so after looking round for about 2 weeks we found a 2 bedroom semi detached flat that had been part of a home and income.
    They had been subdivided and the house had been sold off, but not the flat.

    It was nice but a bit small and the access was an issue as it was walk up, flat but still say 12 paces from the car to the house.

    It was advertised at $185,000 so we offered $140k and settled on $144.5k.
    We lived in this house for my first year of fulltime investor status.
    During that time we painted, worked on the bathroom and put in some small gardens, really nothing that could not be acceived in 3 good weekends.
    We placed it on the market when our first child arrived and we decided to move to a bigger house.
    We listed it for $230,000 and sold for $222,000 making a $78,000 profit in 1 year spending about $3000 on refurb costs.

    During the year we were there we also completed 3 more projects in the block of 12 in Lower Hutt, they were the same type as my first purchase.
    3 bedroom in average area, talked the body corp into repainting the outside, do up inside with some colour new whitewear if needed.
    Also got on to how to get the most out of your tenants by offering the flat in the paper for say $220 per week then when a prospective tenant shows some interest I would offer 2 weeks rent free if they fix the rent at $240.

    Now you are probably saying what the heck it would take you 22 weeks to get your money back.
    But you have to remember that I was doing up to sell, so I would find a good tenant, give them a two week rent break for signed for 12 months.
    The tenant would love it, the new owner would have a fixed rental for his new property.
    Also if I was getting down to negotiations with a purchaser and we were say $5000 off my price, I would go to the occupier and ask them if they would pay $10 per week more for a dishwasher, most would say yes.
    Then I would re right there aggreement at + $10 x 52 = $520 per year @ 8% yield say $6500.

    So the occupier now has a dishwasher for $10 per week, I get $5000 for a $700 appliance, and the new owner gets a better return and a new appliance to depreciate.
    Everyone wins, it's not very often that I don't pull that one out at some point in a sale now.

    Thats the end of part one because my fingers hurt from typing,
    Back soon
  • fudosan
    Reaching out to Asia
    • Jun 2004
    • 2084

    #2
    Hi Steve,

    Thanks for sharing with us your story. I just printed it out so that I can read and digest it leisurely.

    I also look forward to chapter two of your story. Meanwhile, can I assume that "tainting" is not an issue to you?

    Comment

    • Gerrard
      ***** Junkie
      • Jan 2004
      • 1093

      #3
      Hi Steve - Thanks for putting it out there for all of us. A few questions from me:

      How do you find your deals? Are they advertised? Or through other channels?

      Have you kept any properties as long term investments, or is this simply your "job".

      How much time do you put into this "job" on average each week?

      A lot of people are predicting a market slowdown, and interest rates are rising at the moment. How does this affect your plans for the next few years?

      Cheers
      Gerrard

      Comment

      • Josko
        Fanatical
        • Dec 2004
        • 2075

        #4
        Great story so far Steve, and thanks for the little gems in there as well.

        I have the same questions as Gerrard.

        Could you explain your structure a little, in particular how you handle tax and tainting?

        Comment

        • RentMaster
          Addicted
          • Jun 2005
          • 914

          #5
          Excellent stuff Steve!

          Comment

          • Stevegoodey
            Fanatical
            • Mar 2005
            • 1136

            #6
            Questions

            OK then before I get into part two I will cover some of these questions.

            Firstly yes I have purchased a property to hold, which I will cover next in part two.
            I have protected myself from tainting by buying this in the name of a property investment company this will be the only property to ever trade within this company.
            The companies shares are owned by my family trust, the home I now live in is in the family trust.

            Lastly the Family trust does not loan any money to the investment company, or vice versa so there is proffessional distance between them.
            Also as I am not a creator, trustee, and will not benefit from the trust I therefor do not really own the property in the trust or in the investment company whos shares are owned by the trust.

            Apart from that I own a company that trades as 'Land Equity Traders Ltd" and this company buys renovates and sells property.
            This company also pays tax "lotsa tax" but then you only pay tax when you make a profit and when you pay tax on it you can borrow against it very easily.


            As for how do I find my deals I suspect the same way everyone else does, property press, newspaper, agent contacts, word of mouth, the internet, agent web sites and trade me, private sale mags.

            I have found in the last couple of years that I tend to buy in one of two ways, either an agent calls me a says you must come and see this property and I buy it that day, or I have looked at a property and wondered why it's been on the market so long after looking at it I have found the problem and been able to fix it or buy it at such a good price that it did not matter.


            As for how much time I spend doing this it all depends I did spent about 12 months with a paint brush in hand for about 12 hours per day.
            But other parts of you life start to fall off when youdo this and you do start to make silly mistakes.
            If I'm working hard now I would spend 30 hours per week actualy working, or doing what an outsider would consider work.

            But I would do another maybe 30 hours per week doing the hidden work this is in my opinion the important stuff.

            1 Driving round my target neighbourhood and turning right then left at random just looking at homes.

            2 Every thursday I get the property press and other real estate pulications and try to give every new property to come on the market at least a quick look over.

            3 Read every article in the press on anything property related within my target area.

            4 And as zen as it sounds I have quiet time to myself to rethink my own opinions of how my portfolio is going, or what I should be working on next or what should be contracted out as apposed to attempted myself.

            Comment

            • Stevegoodey
              Fanatical
              • Mar 2005
              • 1136

              #7
              Part two

              Right were was I ...oh OK yup

              So after finishing off and selling some of these three bed properties in Lower Hutt I decided it was time to have a good look around at what was available in my area.

              So Sunday morning I would get togeather in a cafe in Wellington with 2 friends who were also getting heavily into investing and we would go through open home papers.

              One day we came across an ad for a 3 flat property in Khandallah Wellington GV $295,000 asking $285,000.
              We went and had a look the property had a one bedroom flat with a two bedroom on top and a two bedroom ontop of that, cosmeticly challenged and with the worst access ever. It had over 30 stairs to get to the bottom flat and a further 30 to get to the top.

              It did however have the advantage of a motivated vendor who wanted to sell the flats so that he could subdivide and keep the rear section as he had purchased the rest of the hill side behind and needed this section for his driveway.

              So I negotiated to buy it from him for $275,000, and then thought hold on he is going to need more room than that, and so I bought the next house over too.
              It was on the market at the time for $485,000 I offered $475,000 and it was accepted, great!!! although I only had enough money to finance the first purchase so I offered to on sell my contract to the developer for $485,000.
              He thought it was a steel and so that was the easiest $10,000 I ever made the entire deal took one day to arrange.

              I settled 3 weeks later on the 3 flats for the agreed price less the $10,000 so I paid $265,000.

              I then began to renovate each flat, the one bedroom got a new kitchen and I took out the wall between the shower and toilet to make it a much bigger room, put in new carpet and some click in wood flooring (wonderful stuff I now buy it by the pallet).
              Finished this flat and it now rents for $220 per week.

              Moved on to the middle flat did the same stuff and it now rents for $260 per week, and did the top flat to now receive $260 per week also.

              So I'm now getting $740 per week for the flats and $10 per week per garage (3 of them) that are on road reserve below the units.

              Total income $40,040

              So now after the subdivision and 2.5 years of good growth in the area my new GV is $590,000, a gain of $325,000 and so you can see why I'm holding on to this one.

              I have had trouble keeping tenants because there is very little sun on the flats during winter but then I try hard to only put new people in during summer and then get a 12 month lease signed so by time there lease runs out it's summer again and easier to re let.

              With all things considered this is probably the single most profitable property I have ever owned.
              Saying that If I sold it I would probably only get $550,000 for it as it would sell to another investor who would look only at the yeild, because the GV has shot up at a faster pace than the rental returns.

              Next house I bought was two semi detached units both 3 bedrooms in central Lower Hutt for $219,000 I had them cross leased and re piled painted inside and out and all the usually fixers done.

              Placed them back on the market while I got started on a two bedroom two story ex state house just around the corner.
              I was busy painting it one day and the lady from next door came over to chat.
              She was interested to know what I had bought the unit for because she wanted to sell her identical unit to move into something larger.
              So I drove her round to my just finished 3 bed units and 2 days later we had a sale.
              We basically sold our completed project at full valuation price to her and bought her project house in original condition for a bit less than I bought the next one allone for.

              So I finished the house I was working on and put it one the market and it sold in 3 days with multiple offers (actualy sold for more than I was asking for it )
              I then just moved all my painting gear in next door, I had painted one wall wjen the agent who sold the last bought a buyer through the to be completed unit and they put an offer on it "as it" and the offer was the same price as the one I had just sold after working on it for 3 weeks.
              So whats a poor property tycoon to do I sold it to him on the spot, we signed the aggreement on the floor of the unit.


              I then found myself without a project to do, I had planned on working for another 3-4 weeks then taking a couple of weeks off and going on an annual boys drinking trip with some fellow investors.

              We try to get away from not only wives and kids but also bank managers, propert managers and tenants, for a week or two each year.

              So this year was Las Vegas, so one of the guys who was going rang me and said he had a project flat that needed a refurb, so he bought it and I did the work and we were both to profit 50/50 from it.

              We thought we would be lucky to get it finished before we went away 3 weeks later but figured we would give it a go.
              Bought it for $98,000 spent $6500 on a new kitchen and paint all round, the refurb took one week to complete.

              We set a good price and gave it to an agent it sold within 3 days for $145,000 and the buyer wanted to settle the following week.
              So we took our share of the profit it was I think about $15,000 each and exchanged it for USD and went on holiday.

              Two of us being my partner in the last deal and myself met up with the third in our group who had been living Canada, in LA.

              We stayed a couple of night s in the famous Chatue Marmont on sunset.
              Then on to Las Vegas for 5 nights at the MGM were we rented a Dodge Viper and a Ferrari 355 spider for a day.

              Then we went to San Fransisco for 4 nights were we had dinner at Francis Ford Coppolas family resturant on the night that Lord of the Rings won everthing at the Oscars.

              All in all an awsome and inspiring trip, not too bad for a weeks work.
              But it is hard to talk about these things to some of my friends and even some family because a trip like this is so far out of some peoples range of experiences thay just could not imagine it.

              But then thats why we do what we do theres nothing cool about being part of the crowd.

              Part 3 coming up soon

              Comment

              • fudosan
                Reaching out to Asia
                • Jun 2004
                • 2084

                #8
                Re: Steve Goodey My Story

                Hi Steve,

                You are a creative problem solver!!

                Also got on to how to get the most out of your tenants by offering the flat in the paper for say $220 per week then when a prospective tenant shows some interest I would offer 2 weeks rent free if they fix the rent at $240.
                The original option costs the tenant $11440 (220x52) the first year and the rent-free option $12,000 (240x50). How did you motivate the tenant to pay more?

                Comment

                • Stevegoodey
                  Fanatical
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 1136

                  #9
                  reply

                  Well without slaging off my income source, most tenants are short term thinkers and to them two weeks FREE is a good deal.

                  And besides I explain that it means a $10 increase over the full 12 months but it also means no more increases over this period, and most tenants are hit with a lot of new bills in the first couple of weeks of a lease so they seem to go for it more often than not.

                  Steve

                  Comment

                  • Julian
                    Fanatical
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 1524

                    #10
                    Absolutely brilliant read, Steve. Very inspirational! And I bet you get people coming up to you when they see what you are doing and tell you how lucky you are!

                    I'm sure one of the greatest things about this is the security that comes of knowing you are master of your own destiny, and not a slave to someone elses.

                    Like your choice of rental cars in the States too.

                    Julian.
                    Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

                    Comment

                    • David-Suzuki
                      Freshie
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 82

                      #11
                      I congratulate you on your success and strategies and willingness to write about them for all.

                      Comment

                      • Gerrard
                        ***** Junkie
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 1093

                        #12
                        Awesome Steve. Looking forward to part 3 and hearing your future plans.

                        Gerrard

                        Comment

                        • orion
                          Fanatical
                          • Dec 2003
                          • 1750

                          #13
                          Well done Steve, awesome effort!!
                          Good on you.

                          Regards
                          Graeme Fowler
                          Facebook Property Chat Group NZ
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/340682962758216/

                          Comment

                          • kalovatt
                            Forum Junkie
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 272

                            #14
                            Yes great posting and brilliant to read. I particularly liked reading about your hard work and resulting success being backed up with actual facts and figures.

                            With your renovations and do-ups do you do a lot of the work yourself or do you have a team of tradesmen (sorry...tradespeople !!!)

                            I also can relate to you saying you can't tell some of your friends or family about your investments, I have found the same even with my tiny wee portfolio which is nothing like the scale of your operation. Tall poppy syndrome at work huh !!!

                            Well done, it is very motivational to read. Looking forward to your next outburst !!!

                            Comment

                            • fudosan
                              Reaching out to Asia
                              • Jun 2004
                              • 2084

                              #15
                              When is the next chapter coming?

                              Comment

                              Working...