Header Ad Module

Collapse

What books today, have the most relevant strategies?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Scooby
    Freshie
    • Jan 2005
    • 10

    #1

    What books today, have the most relevant strategies?

    Hi everyone

    I've read postings of what PT people consider to be in their top 5 IP books read. But some of these may be motivational and inspirational rather than strategy based. The question I'd like to ask is what books have PT people read that they have then gone on to use one, two or more of the strategies mentioned in the book to great or dare I say it, not so great success. What were these strategies?

    Hope this isn't a "boob" of a question, afterall I'm Scooby "Newbie" Doo

    Cheers
    Scott
  • toby
    Addicted
    • Jan 2005
    • 529

    #2
    You should read them all. Don't be concerned about "the right" stategy if your starting out. Learn about them all - become a generalist not a specialist.
    If you haven't got the money to buy them - ask yourself what strategey do I currently use that isn't working.
    Happy hunting.

    Comment

    • AustinWong
      Forum Junkie
      • Mar 2004
      • 475

      #3
      My thoughts are:

      Lisa Dudson and Andrew King - The complete guide to Residential Property Invesment in New Zealand

      Mark Withers - New Zealand Property Tax (Second Edition)

      Tenancy Act

      I have the first book and will be buying others based on what I have heard and read from others.

      Scoobie
      Hope this isn't a "boob" of a question, afterall I'm Scooby "Newbie" Doo
      Keep the questions rolling... if you do feel like a boob just do a search under my name and see all the questions I have asked...you will feel much better


      Good luck

      L
      How do you eat an Elephant?
      One Bite at a Time!! (Source: Spaceman)

      Comment

      • Josko
        Fanatical
        • Dec 2004
        • 2075

        #4

        Comment

        • CJ
          Fanatical
          • Oct 2003
          • 3570

          #5
          If it is a matter of cost, join a library.

          If it is a matter of time, make time.

          Decide what you need to learn next then shose the book. Do you need a bit of motivation, info re being a landlord.

          Graham Fowlers (Orions) book is good for motivation and for different strategies that have made actual people millionairs.

          Ivi - If everyone put a smilly when they enjoyed a post, the forum would be huge.

          Comment

          • LondonKiwi
            Kiwi now in Oz
            • Dec 2004
            • 410

            #6
            Hi Scooby

            I agree with CJ the more you read the better informed you will be!

            Graham's is an excellent book as you get an insight from 10 different investors with different strategies and backgrounds on property investment.

            Lisa's is also good as being NZ based it covers the main points you will face in property investment in NZ.

            Also once again Dolf De Roos Real Estate Riches is an excellent initial read to on the merits of property investment compared with other types of investment (eg shares)

            Cheers

            LK

            Comment

            • Josko
              Fanatical
              • Dec 2004
              • 2075

              #7
              Ivi - If everyone put a smilly when they enjoyed a post, the forum would be huge.

              Comment

              • fudosan
                Reaching out to Asia
                • Jun 2004
                • 2084

                #8
                I find Borders a great place to read new books before deciding to buy any of them - quiet, comfortable, and lots of chairs

                Comment

                • muppet
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2003
                  • 10593

                  #9
                  Hi Guys

                  Please refer to this link
                  http://www.propertytalk.co.nz/postt2341.html

                  As some posters have already listed their favourite property books.

                  Regards

                  Comment

                  • AustinWong
                    Forum Junkie
                    • Mar 2004
                    • 475

                    #10
                    If it is a matter of cost, join a library.
                    To be honest I think that newbie investors should buy some of their own books.

                    I think it is part of walking the talk.

                    I know that since I have bought my first IP book and not just got one from the library, I feel i am more involved and have a stronger feeling that I am truly on my path to property investment.

                    You gotta spend some to make some and I guess paying money for books has triggered something in my mind that I am serious and not just bleating about it.
                    How do you eat an Elephant?
                    One Bite at a Time!! (Source: Spaceman)

                    Comment

                    • fudosan
                      Reaching out to Asia
                      • Jun 2004
                      • 2084

                      #11
                      If you want to read some old books with not much hype, then your library can be a good choice. I use it from time to time, even though I have a good collection of PI books already.

                      Comment

                      • Scooby
                        Freshie
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 10

                        #12
                        Thanks everyone for the feedback

                        Just to clarify a few things.

                        AustinWong Wrote:
                        To be honest I think that newbie investors should buy some of their own books.
                        Couldn't agree with you more Lawrence. I already have a library of books I have purchased, including all of the ones mentioned from other contributors to this Post, ie Graeme Fowler, Dolf De Roos, Andrew King etc, plus many more. There's nothing worse than trying to remember something (especially in the wee hours of the morning) and not having the reference there and then...talk about insomnia .

                        Basically, I'm trying to gauge from people who have "been there and done that", what books they feel have helped them most in achieving their IP goals. Specifically, an idea or a strategy they had read about and then gone out and implemented it, whether it be for a quick cash gain, adding value to an existing property or whatever.

                        For me it's not a matter of cost, nor is it a matter of time, as I am always reading about property, I just thought it may have be useful for others (especially myself) to read about what PT investors have taken from their "research" and thought "that's a great idea, I can do that" and did.

                        Cheers

                        Comment

                        • toby
                          Addicted
                          • Jan 2005
                          • 529

                          #13
                          Hi Scooby,
                          I'd figure out what your personality strengths are then find someone who has similar or who you wish to replicate then model them.
                          I like the idea that in real life it's not called cheating but cooperative learning.
                          Like you I have masses of books. Keep going and you'll figure out the how when the why is big enough.
                          My two cents...

                          Comment

                          • MiniMogul
                            Opinionated
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 142

                            #14
                            Robert Kiyosaki, without a doubt:

                            Spend less than you earn (i.e. eliminate consumer debt) and spend the rest on income-producing assets that themselves grow in value.

                            That is THE only strategy as far as I am concerned. Whether you do businesses, shares, or property, the strategy is true.

                            IMHO.

                            Comment

                            • wada
                              Opinionated
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 158

                              #15
                              Hi,

                              This has nothing to do with the thread. I just want to know what IMHO means

                              For me the best IP book was "Your investment property" by Anita Bell. Also 2 books on financial advice are "The Millionaire Next Door" by Danko and Stanley, and "Money Secrets of the Rich" by John Burley. These 2 books reinforce what MiniMogul says about living beneath your means, wiping consumer debt and investing a portion of your $$$ on income producing assets.

                              Wada

                              Comment

                              Working...