Header Ad Module

Collapse

Curious about trusts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Julian
    Fanatical
    • Jan 2005
    • 1524

    #1

    Curious about trusts?

    I hear a lot of "property" people suggesting trusts are the better vehicle for controlling property. I am curious why you think this is so, or why not.
    Trusts, I understand, remove ownership from the individual, yet they still allow him/her/them to control the asset. But what's wrong with ownership of something if one conducts one's self in a law-abiding way?
    There are three main participants to a trust: the settlor who gifts to the trust; the trustee who exercises control; and the beneficiary who stands to get something out of the deal in the end. If one is all three - then the trust has, by my understanding, all the hallmarks of a sham trust, which can be unwound.
    And if you are not the beneficiary you don't stand to gain at the end of the deal, so what is the point? Sure, it is possibly a good idea to put some assetts in trust for the benefit of the children, but if the kids are the beneficiaries of everything what's in it for the settlor? The trustee I would imagine has a duty to do everything with the beneficiary's best interest in mind - so pulling out $50k for a three month cruise around the Med might not be quite kosher.
    Personally I hold my property investments in a LAQ Company. I am curious as to the advantage it would have been for me to have held these assetts in a trading trust, if any?
    I have heard that if I were to have one or two ales too many and proceeded to plough into the back of a Rolls Royce Phantom my insurance wouldn't pay out (on account of the booze) and the Phantom's insurer could come after my assetts ie the shares in my company. Thus in this case the trust would protect the property from myself. But I could counter that by suggesting that I don't get into any property at all because there is no insurance in the advent of war damage - should New Zealand march off to war again. But taking this pessimistic approach would do nothing to aid my retirement!
    Also I'm told a trust offers assett protection in the event of relationship splits. But I thought pre-nups covered that base.
    So can someone please enlighten me. This is a serious question and I am eager to hear your responses.
    Julian
    Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!
  • wada
    Opinionated
    • Nov 2003
    • 158

    #2
    Hi,

    Here's an outline on why we chose our investments to be Trusts.

    1) In case of our marriage splits and we remarry etc. The trust ends, everything is sold and split evenly. New partners and their kids aren't involved. A prenuptial will be good enough if the relationship of the couples is amicable but I've seen when it gets really nasty. The same goes to a 'Will' as other parties have attacked the legitimacy of these and won.. very expensive and energy sapping.

    This scenario also applies if one of us passes away or become invalid etc.

    2) Later on in life we will own nothing so if we need elderly care we will not be 'means tested'. However, we plan to make enough passive income so we don't need government help.

    3) Our investments make a tidy profit and we have organised our trust affairs so that we minimise our tax. This is done by the trust paying for our kids (beneficiaries) education, medical and misc expenses. Same goes with us and 'people we have love and affection for' (ie parents, nephews/neices etc.

    4) We set a 'mirror trust' which is a 'his and her trust'. The settlor was an independant party so they have no say on how it's run. We also have our accountant and lawyer as trustees which are under a 'trust nominee Ltd'. We have the power to hire and fire thus have control over our assets.

    As you can tell we have prepared for the 'worst case scenario' and are realistic that our trust may not protect us from every situation. We have never used a QC or LAQC so I hope this answers a few questions. You can also do a search of trusts on PT as this has been discussed often.

    Wada

    Comment

    • pixie
      Opinionated
      • Oct 2004
      • 161

      #3
      Pre-nups don't always work (as I sadly know having been taken to the cleaners rather successfully).

      If my humble wee home had been put in a family trust for the protection of myself and my children then I would have been much better off. Then I could have embarked on a new life with it all terribly safe.

      Even remarried to a wonderful man - do I want to see our hard work benefiting a future spouse when one of us is dead and gone? Answer - no way. So again the Trust option is right for me. It gives us freedom to provide for our health and well being, build our property portfolio and manage it, and (once both of us have gone) have anything left over passed to family.

      The conversation is quite complex and personal but certain things are true: there are plenty of people out there wanting a share of someone elses hard work. We all get older. Relationships tend to come and go. Don't count on a welfare cheque in your senior years.

      In this forum a wonderful post was put up about the benefits of a Trust versus LAQC (mid Dec). I thought it was a stunner. If you can't find it then please send your email address to me at [email protected] and I will forward it to you. Cheers

      Comment

      • fudosan
        Reaching out to Asia
        • Jun 2004
        • 2084

        #4
        Hi Wada,

        Do you mean if one of the spouses dies, the trust ends automatically? Can you choose to end a trust and distribute the assets (and have to pay tax)?

        Comment

        • wada
          Opinionated
          • Nov 2003
          • 158

          #5
          Hi,

          Fudosan said
          Do you mean if one of the spouses dies, the trust ends automatically?
          Sorry I better explain further. We have nominated someone to take over the reins of 'trustee' if one of us dies. This person will have the same 'powers' as we currently have and will work together with the surviving spouse. I chose a close friend and my wife chose her step father. We get on really well with each others choices which would make the decisions process a little easier.
          Can you choose to end a trust and distribute the assets (and have to pay tax)?
          Regardless of the reasons of ending the trust any tax owed to the IRD will be taken from the coffers. And yes we can end the trust anytime or it automatically ends after a certain time... I think it's 90 years from the date it was setup but I'm not 100% sure. Yes the percentage of the assets are distrubuted to the beneficiaries (unsure if that's the correct spelling) on discretion of the trustees.

          Pixie I totally agree with your reasons for setting up a trust.

          Wada

          Comment

          Working...