Header Ad Module

Collapse

How it's all done - an inspiration

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • learner
    Freshie
    • May 2004
    • 89

    #1

    How it's all done - an inspiration

    Hi all

    For those who don't get the NZ Herald, here's a very inspirational piece:
    Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald


    I am 46, and very much the "average" person, who worked many years at a job where I earned about $40,000 a year.

    About 10 years ago, I did extensive research on residential property investment in NZ that was self-conducted (I did not take a seminar).

    What impressed me was that people who owned 30-plus residential properties often had a story about a property that made them money, with 100 per cent finance, from the first day of ownership.

    I decided to build a property portfolio worth at least $2 million over the next six years using these three simple rules:

    1) The anticipated rent must exceed what the principal and interest payments would be with 100 per cent finance, plus related expenses. Put another way, a property would have to generate a net profit.

    2) If I cannot imagine the property being there in 50 years, I walk away.

    I never get builder's reports, because I would never consider buying a property that made me suspicious enough to ask for one.

    3) Always remember, "capital gain is promised to no one". Any property I buy has the potential of some day being owned purely by management work, without any of my own capital being put into it.

    So, how did I do?

    Well, I settled on my first property in September 1997. My starting financial base was about $100,000 in equity in the house we lived in, and about $20,000 in savings.

    It took over a year to find and buy property number two, a further eight months to buy property number three, etc, eventually getting up to property number 18 in June of this year.

    I have not compromised my three rules throughout the process, and established borrowing power purely through the equity that was not promised, but nonetheless occurred.

    Because of Rule 2, I have security to a degree, in knowing that I have substantially good property. If you want to work out my rate of return, please use the $20,000 figure, as that is all I have invested of my own money.

    My net worth, even using very conservative and outdated Government valuation figures for each of the properties balanced against what I owe, is currently $1.2 million dollars.

    My lifestyle has not changed one bit. I still live in the same house I started in, and in all ways I appear to be a person that earns about $40,000 a year.

    I manage all my properties myself (because I love them), and my goal is to pay for the whole lot before I retire.

    Congratulations!! Is it someone from this forum?
  • fudosan
    Reaching out to Asia
    • Jun 2004
    • 2084

    #2
    A very down-to-earch, no-frill, straight forward approach with no complex theory required.

    Comment

    • muppet
      Banned
      • Sep 2003
      • 10593

      #3
      Hi Guys

      He has done well.
      But he did ask two questions for Mary to answer.

      Am I crazy?

      Should I have invested my money in diversified stock instead?
      Now here is Mary Holm's reply to his questions.

      A: No to both questions.

      While many New Zealanders would be better off with diversified shares, you seem to be a natural-born property investor. What makes me say that?

      * You love your properties, and it sounds as if you actually enjoy managing them.

      * You're willing to put in many hours and much effort. Just the fact that you spent more than a year searching for your second property is telling. And managing 18 properties must be a full-time job.

      * You did lots of research before buying - and skipped seminars, which are often misleading and can do much more harm than good.

      * Your three rules seem sound - although I worry that some properties may have flaws that a non-professional can't spot - and you've got the conviction to stick with the rules.

      You're in for the long haul, and seem unlikely to bail out if property prices fall for a while.

      * You apparently don't feel that, just because you've become a bit of a property magnate, you need to own a flash home, car, clothes and so on - perhaps piling up debt to buy them.

      * You've got the courage and energy to own many properties.

      That gets around one of my biggest worries about most rental investors: they own just one property, or perhaps two.

      If their property turns out to be leaky, or it is revealed that the soil is contaminated because it used to be an orchard, or gangs move into the neighbourhood, or it turns out that there are too many rental properties in the area and too few tenants, their investment can turn sour.

      But with 18 - especially if they are in different neighbourhoods and different types of housing - they're not all going to go bad.

      However, you're still exposed to the problems common to all properties, such as mortgage rate increases and periods of no growth or price falls.

      For that reason, I would rather you had a portion of your long-term savings in shares. But I don't like my chances!

      A couple of notes of caution for other readers:

      * This man's wealth has grown particularly fast because of recent booming house prices. Average growth over the long term will be much slower.

      * I suspect that if the correspondent added up the hours he has put into learning, buying and managing, he would find that he's earned his wealth.

      * The time involved is one of the huge differences between owning lots of properties and lots of shares.
      Regards

      Comment

      • Josko
        Fanatical
        • Dec 2004
        • 2075

        #4
        Originally posted by muppet
        I suspect that if the correspondent added up the hours he has put into learning, buying and managing, he would find that he's earned his wealth.
        And that my fellow propettiers, is what its all about.

        Comment

        • muppet
          Banned
          • Sep 2003
          • 10593

          #5
          Hi Ivi

          Only tooooo true.

          Regards

          Comment

          • SJL 01
            Freshie
            • Oct 2003
            • 54

            #6
            My lifestyle has not changed one bit. I still live in the same house I started in, and in all ways I appear to be a person that earns about $40,000 a year.

            Not wanting to sound negative, however how sad that his life hasn't changed for the better after all his efforts.

            Of course different people have different ways of measuring success, I would have thought that after that amount of time and number of properties that he may be enjoying some benefit.

            LL[/quote]
            Sue Laurie
            Christchurch

            Comment

            • Gatekeeper
              Fanatical
              • Jan 2004
              • 1542

              #7
              Not wanting to sound negative, however how sad that his life hasn't changed for the better after all his efforts.
              I really admire someone who doesn't need "things" or "status" in the eyes of others to be happy.

              Good on him.
              Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

              Comment

              • learner
                Freshie
                • May 2004
                • 89

                #8
                Yes, good on him too, a typical "The Millionaire Next Door" (Stanley & Danko).

                These people cannot be millionaires! They don't look like millionaires, they don't dress like millionaires, they don't eat like millionaires, they don't act like millionaires--they don't even have millionaire names.

                Comment

                • toby
                  Addicted
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 529

                  #9
                  What makes me laugh is that there is always going to be somebody saying you shouldn't do that or you should do this.
                  I mean - I don't know Mary Holm from a bar of soap, and personally wouldn't ask a reporter to comment on my financial position.
                  Would you?

                  Comment

                  • orion
                    Fanatical
                    • Dec 2003
                    • 1750

                    #10
                    I mean - I don't know Mary Holm from a bar of soap, and personally wouldn't ask a reporter to comment on my financial position.
                    Toby, Mary lives in a little world all of her own - and all it makes perfect sense to her.
                    She usually is very biased against investment property in what she writes, but not so bad what she says this time - she still manages to get the odd dig in here and there and leave her final comments negative though.

                    Regards
                    Graeme Fowler
                    Facebook Property Chat Group NZ
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/340682962758216/

                    Comment

                    • SJL 01
                      Freshie
                      • Oct 2003
                      • 54

                      #11
                      Maybe my previous post was misunderstood, I wasn't suggesting that anyone should buy "toys" to impress others.

                      However if the man's life hasn't changed, I would assume this to mean that he is still working in his "job", and not actually enjoying any benefit from the income generated from the properties.

                      Speaking only for myself, we enjoy more choice in our life due to the passive income our portfolio produces. This is certainly a change from when we started. If we weren't experiencing this difference why would we invest in property, just for the love of bricks and mortar
                      LL
                      Sue Laurie
                      Christchurch

                      Comment

                      • Gerrard
                        ***** Junkie
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 1093

                        #12
                        Speaking of inspirational, ESC are promoting a couple of their trainees:

                        http://www.richmastery.com/nz/defaul...rInvestors.htm

                        I don't agree with how ESC calculate their numbers, so I'm ignoring their claims about how much cashflow they have generated. HOWEVER the fact that two people have accumulated 90 income streams in 7 months is very impressive.

                        It's possible to do. Time to get out there and do it.

                        Gerrard

                        Comment

                        • Bombus
                          Freshie
                          • Nov 2004
                          • 13

                          #13
                          I thaught the investor was female & her request for advice tongue in cheek..

                          Comment

                          • Josko
                            Fanatical
                            • Dec 2004
                            • 2075

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Lucylou
                            Maybe my previous post was misunderstood, I wasn't suggesting that anyone should buy "toys" to impress others.

                            However if the man's life hasn't changed, I would assume this to mean that he is still working in his "job", and not actually enjoying any benefit from the income generated from the properties.
                            It ok Lucylou, if am confident his life has changed, one thing to consider would be that it just would not be wise or motivating for those that are wise if he had said, hey yeah, I got this, I got that, I live better, I whatever. I mean hey isnt he the one being interviewed, that certainly is a change to the normal run of the mill property investors life.

                            Some things are best not declared and left to the imagination.

                            Comment

                            • MiniMogul
                              Opinionated
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 142

                              #15
                              Extremely interesting, erm, comment which really got my philosophical juices flowing. - in relation to:

                              > Not wanting to sound negative, however how sad that his life hasn't changed
                              > for the better after all his efforts.

                              ooh, assumption alert - (yours) - that 'lifestyle' spending is the only way in which change for the better can be measured

                              > Of course different people have different ways of measuring success, I would
                              > have thought that after that amount of time and number of properties that he
                              > may be enjoying some benefit.

                              Yes, you would think that, although if it wasn't the sort/kind that *you* would want or notice, you might miss it...

                              > Maybe my previous post was misunderstood, I wasn't suggesting that anyone
                              > should buy "toys" to impress others.

                              kay....

                              > However if the man's life hasn't changed,

                              assumption

                              >I would assume this to mean that he
                              > is still working in his "job",

                              assumption

                              >and not actually enjoying any benefit from the
                              > income generated from the properties.

                              assumption

                              > Speaking only for myself,

                              Okay...

                              >we enjoy more choice in our life

                              Yes, yes, yes!!!!!! Now you have it....

                              > due to the passive
                              > income our portfolio produces.

                              Yeah!

                              >This is certainly a change from when we
                              > started.

                              Yes, indeed and here's the crux - you can't wait to spend the passive income on 'things and luxuries of lifestyle' (for want of a better term, and inferring from your post, please excuse any assumption on my part!-)

                              but perhaps this person spends the extra money on 1) extra income-producing assets 2) charity 3) entrepreneuring projects 4) XYZ thousand other possibilities that you can not necessarily 'see' as the trappings of 'lifestyle'. Now I get this, because I haven't changed my lifetstyle spending since I started investing.

                              For me it's been quite perverse. I used to crave, need, desire, go badly into credit card debt to get 'something' (whatever) that I wanted, when I had bugger all money. Almost like my emotional need for the external trappings to show I had ...er... 'it' was greater when I didn't have much money. Now that I have taken some profits and have more cash in the bank than I've ever had before, give or take a publishing advance or two, the last thing on my mind is what lifestyle stuff I am gonna spend it on (Okay, I'm human, maybe about ten percent will be a bit of a shopping/tax deductible business trip to Japan with my mum!!! -) - but for the 90 percent of it, I am more concerned about how much income-producing asset I can get/create for my money and/or how much I can borrow based on that amount being a deposit.

                              So I still love the fun of purchasing, nice things, lifestyle, etc, but I also realise that if I spend it now, that's it, and if I continue to reinvest, then the next stage is potentially exponentially multiplied....deferred gratification. Sure, I could stop any time and just spend all the cashflow and be done with it, and I guess it is *possible* that one day I will stop multiplying, but I doubt it.

                              It's not that one day I might not feel I have 'enough'.
                              Even if I then - if from that day on I wanted to give the entire rest away, I would still continue to multiply the gift. I mean, if you 'get it', the concept of multiplying, why stop? I mean, why give one 'park' (or whatever) to the community if you could continue multiplying, and give them ten when you're gone?

                              Comment

                              Working...