No announcement yet.

Choosing a tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspections should be done every 3 months, no matter how good your tenant is!

Comment

They have to be 3 monthly for insurance so you have no choice really.

Comment

Depends on your policy. Read it.
        Mine says three times per year.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
          Check out their car (and, if possible, drive past their current tenancy).

If the car (and the current tenancy) are tidy and clean that's a good start.

(I could also say avoid anyone with a law degree and/or drives an Audi, but that's just me!)
          Flyernzl is so right with this, you can get bad tenants that pay the rent on time and keep the property in good condition but there expectations with the condition are unrealistic and want everything fixed.

Give aways for these sorts of people are how demanding are they at the viewing, do they start asking you whether a,b,c is going to get fixed etc.

Do they hound you after the viewing on whether or not they have been accepted.

If they possess the above then be careful because some tenants like that are worse than the ones that don't pay rent etc and end up costing the landlord a fortune.

Hope this helps
          Fraser Wilkinson
          www.managemyrental.co.nz
          Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Many thanks for detailed tips.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
              No, I wouldn't ask trademe or Facebook ids.
              stick to the above, and follow your gut feeling about people.
              TradeMe ids are great & i have found them very useful in deciding whether to decline or accept potential tenants as they can often provide substantial feedback on that person. If someone does 100 trades and has a 100% good feedback record then generally the person should be of good character.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin;
                4) Credit Check & Tenancy Agreement
                a) Go to [URL="http://www.tinz.org.nz"
                www.tinz.org.nz[/URL] and register an account. Note account takes 1 working day to setup
                b) Put in the tenants details from the Tenancy Application Form, and
                c) Run credit & tenancy tribunal check
                d) Call previous landlord and double check the tenant’s story
                e) If you are happy the tenant's records are clean, arrange a time to meet at their place, and fill out the tenancy agreement – Do not sign at this stage
                f) Only sign the agreement when the tenant has given you the 3 weeks bond (you already have 1
                weeks rent as Deposit – this is for 1st week of rent).
                g) Agree a date when the tenant moves in
                h) On the day or the evening before the day of Move In, hand over 1 set of keys to new tenants

Pro Tip:
                - If you are unsure of anything, post your question on PTalk and get answers from Keys!
                Gary re: the TINZ link i cannot find on there, where they do tenancy and credit checks. Do you have more info?

Comment

You have to log on to the site.
                  Then its under SEARCH

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                    Gary re: the TINZ link i cannot find on there, where they do tenancy and credit checks. Do you have more info?

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                      You have to log on to the site.
                      Then its under SEARCH
                      So do you recommend this site for easy access to information about a tenant or address - and is the information on here more wide ranging than looking online at the TT orders available?

Comment

Regarding inspections - do one a few weeks after they move in just to make sure things are on track.
                        You can answer questions and generally set the expectation.
                        3 monthly after that

Comment

Working...
                        X