Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on adding a wall to create a 3rd bedroom

Hi All

I am going to add a wall in my rental to create a third bedroom. Does anyone know the costs of adding a wall
    to a large lounge. I know this is a general question but
    if anyone has done this recently they may have some tips
    and prices to do this.

I have a larger than normal L shaped lounge due to my builder taking out a wall dividing the kitchen and lounge,
    now I want to increase my cashflow by adding a 3rd bedroom and this seems the most cost effective way.

At best I could probably add $30 per wk extra to the current rent, so the addition would have to pay for itself
    in a relatively short time I hope.

Regards

FH.
    Home Buyz
    [email protected]

How long is a piece of wood??

Basically commercial tenders work on about $90-110/sq. m [for an upto 3m high] of wall area.

Take this price with a large bag of salt - it is based on pricing a large quantity, for trade materials & rates for fitting, supply & fixing & stopping & painting - and was taken from a 2004 construction pricing book!!! At least it will give you a broad ballpark.

Comment

Thanks, gives me an idea at least, need to speak to builder
      to get exact costs.

FH
      Home Buyz
      [email protected]

Comment

U didn't say whether the property was currently rented or not.

Assuming that the property is empty, just get two or three builders to give you quotes. U might have a problems getting builders at the moment as they are so busy.

If the property is not empty, you need to advise the tenants that you need access to do "maintenance". They have to give you reasonable access.

If you do decide to go ahead with the quotes you are given, and the tenants want to stay, you can offer them a price reduction in their rent while the alteration is being done (get them to sign a piece of paper agreeing to this) but also making them aware that when the alteration/addition is completed that the rent will be going up to $x.

They may choose to leave while work is in progress, but that will allow for easier access and also earlier advertising of THREE bedroom house.

Good luck.
        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Yes the property is tenanted, also do not want to ask
          the tenant to pay an extra $20 - 30 per week just yet
          as she has only been in there a couple of weeks. Don't
          want to scare her off!

I intend to do this reno to increase the cashflow for the
          future, maybe when the unit is vacant I will do the partition, then increase rent to cover this.

I am just wanting to get an idea from anyone who has done this and any pitfalls there are.

FH
          Home Buyz
          [email protected]

Comment

Read Ron Hoy Fongs postings - he is an expert on creating rooms, and increasing rental. He recommends ALWAYS getting the work permitted - and this makes real good sense, especially if you should have to sell at any stage.
            Julian
            Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Thanks, yes I know he (Ron) is sensei when it comes
              to adding value. I have a friend of mine who is a builder, not too sure or not about the permit of adding
              a wall though. As the wall will not be a load bearing
              one does this still have to be permitted, even if it does
              I am sure I will have no problems getting permission
              from council to do this.

Not really a major, knocking out the wall between the kitchen and lounge was more hazardous to our health
              at the time. It was holding up the roof!!

Will have to catch up with Ron one of these days, seems like a good man to know.

FH
              Home Buyz
              [email protected]

Comment

Hi,

I always get a permit when I am doing any structural work, load bearing or not. Without a permit, there may be implications further down the track. eg. Insurance issues or problems when you come to sell the property.

It may cost a little more and take a little longer but having that peace of mind and also that Certificate of Compliance far outweigh any of the risks involved.

I also inform my Insurance Company in writing when I am carrying out work on my own properties, otherwise if something does happen to go wrong, you may not be covered. Insurance Companies love, what they consider to be valid, reasons for not paying up.

I am a qualified Carpenter and I know that any work that I carry out on a property will be done correctly however I am still not prepared to take the risk of not having a permit.

Regards,

Aston
                Last edited by Aston; 28-07-2005, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Freezing,

I'm just doing exactly this to one of my properties.

By enlarging a study into the lounge I will get a 3mx3m double bedroom.

1st Quote $3962

2nd Quote $1495

Tip get at least 3 quotes

2nd tip have the new wall put up buy the builder and then take down the old one yourself.
                  Saves money and time.

Good luck

Steve

Comment

Have managed to look up the accounts rather than the ballpark figures I used before [now I'm in office] - recently did a similar exercise where there was a family room which spread out onto a 'hallway', between a bedroom & bathroom.

It was a simple exercise of creating a wall to make an extra bedroom between these existing rooms, and still have the hallway along the side. Total wall length was around 3m, and stud height 2.7m. Door at one end of wall. Did all the building myself but had to get in sparky for the new light switch. All up less than a $1000 - painted & finished. As it was non load bearing no need for permit. Finished it all in a couple of weekends - could have done it in one if the sparky turned up on time!!

Had an additional bonus that I was able to create a small wardrobe area due to the existing room walls being slightly offset, so made the new bedroom much more usable. Have to get some wardrobe doors etc so haven't incl'd that into price.

Comment

Hi dksnz,

As it was non load bearing no need for permit.
                      Do you forsee any problems when selling the house? Will most buyers be knowledgeable enough to understand the non load bearing nature and not be concerned of
                      the new layout which is different from the original floor plan? I am thinking of the marketability rather than the legality issue.

Comment

Hi fudosan,

It was an old villa, council have no plans to start with!!

In fact actually adding a wall is increasing the structural capablity of the house, as opposed to taking one out wher the structure will rely on other parts to take up the slack.

Under the bldg code no permit is required for such work so long as ventilation & light etc are all legal, so why go thru the grief of dealing with them if you don't have to.
                        [I have to in my day to day job, so if I don't have to in my afterhours work then life goes smoothly!!]. If push came to shove the wall could come out without any structural issues, but it adds to the bracing of the house so it does have its advantages.

Cheers DS

Comment

I also am in the throes of doing just this...the quote I am running with is $1900 incl GST, includes 12mm extra thick Gib and sound proof batts installed and all fully finished just ready for me to come in and paint
                          We All Make Mistakes Said The Hedgehog As He Climbed Off The Scrubbing Brush !!

Comment

Working...
                          X