Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen rewire and new switchboard-$2500 reasonable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen rewire and new switchboard-$2500 reasonable?

Hi,
    I'm getting a small kitchen rewired, 2 sets of outlets and the stove circuit redone.
    Also the switchboard is getting replaced with a new RCD switchboard.
    Is $2500 a reasonable quote?

Cheers,
    CC

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but maybe you could get a second or even a third quote?
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

how old is the place? Is it likely that more wiring will need to be replaced?

Comment

Switch box is $400, to me, the rest seems expensive.

Have you got other quotes to compare??

Comment

that's what I was thinking. Reason I was wondering if there was more to it than a simple switch board replacement

Comment

Sounds reasonable to me, if your quote is from one of the big firms like allendale, aden or aotea try getting a self employed guy to quote it. Get three quotes.
            if you left the switchboard replacement out you could save a few dollars, when you replace a switchboard you have to install ELCB circuit breakers and most the time you also have to replace the main earth conductor and main earth electrode - it also has to be checked by an inspector which all adds cost.
            you can modify the existing switchboard by using plug in circuit breakers - you won't have earth leakage protection but IMO we survived for a hundred years without them, and most appliances are double insulated these days anyway.
            the most important thing is to make sure all the old TRS type wiring is removed and replaced by modern TPS wiring.

Cheers
            sparx

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
              The house has the old type of wiring, I'm just replacing it in stages.
              The kitchen has got a dodgy circuit so I'm doing that first.
              The quote is with a self employed tradesman.
              The electrician said the RCD switchboards are safer than the plain CBS,
              Can I install rcd circuit breakers on the old switchboard? Or are the regular CBS nearly
              as good, compared to the old ceramic fuse holders?
              Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Rowlocks View Post
                Thanks for the replies.
                The house has the old type of wiring, I'm just replacing it in stages.
                The kitchen has got a dodgy circuit so I'm doing that first.
                The quote is with a self employed tradesman.
                The electrician said the RCD switchboards are safer than the plain CBS,
                Can I install rcd circuit breakers on the old switchboard? Or are the regular CBS nearly
                as good, compared to the old ceramic fuse holders?
                Cheers

RCD is way better, minimal fire hazard. The price of RCD and CBS difference is minimal in your case. Most of your work is replacing the old wiring.

Comment

Nearly as good - depends on your criteria. Modern switchboards must have a RCD at the head of the circuit - this is for the protection of people. They then have a 'normal' circuit breaker for each circuit (lights, power etc) to protect the wires. The addition of an RCD to the moderm board didn't really do much to the cost - very little cost in the overall scheme.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the advice, I went for the RCD switchboard, was a good thing I did.

Comment

Working...
                    X