Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going the whole hog, boiler/radiator based central heating, anyone here have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going the whole hog, boiler/radiator based central heating, anyone here have one?

Property is in Dunedin, roughly 180 msq 4 bedroom 1930's brick bungalow. Ceiling and subfloor will be insulated soon. We know central heating is not cheap I'm thinking anywhere from 15-20k? Only info I have seen is at NZ centralheating website. We need to re-do hot water cylinder so might as well also get the cylinder that taps into the system. My main concerns are reliability with these systems. There seems to be a variety of them from LPG to Diesel to Heatpump style. I like the sound of the firebird diesel boiler system. Do these things put out fumes? Are they pretty much maintenance free. What can go wrong? Thanks for any info.

the house im working on at the moment has just had a big gas heating unit installed it blows hot air through ducted vents around the house, runs on reticulated gas, installed by Davies Heat n Cool, doubt it was cheap

Comment

Could be effective I suppose. I've always thought radiators were the best heat as they heat up everything in the room not just the air. I made it through a rough winter in Colorado once with baseboard radiator heating. It was bizarre to be in a t-shirt and shorts while it was -28 outside.

Comment

the average canadian house seems to spend about $2500 a winter on fuel oil for central heating

imho it's shockingly inefficient in anything other than installed during build of a fully insulated house

Last edited by eri; 05-02-2012, 10:54 PM.
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
          i seem to remember the average canadian house spends $2500 a winter on fuel oil for central heating

imho it's shockingly inefficient in anything other than installed during build of a fully insulated hoiuse
          That's interesting as I've seen companies here quote price ranges of 1,500 or so. I guess they are being overly generous. That's one reason I would like to find someone with an older home that has such a system. I guess ducted heat pump systems are an option too as heat pumps can be very efficient, just not sure if they could keep up in the dead of winter and I bet the system cost is higher than radiator based.. Hopefully someone will chime in soon that has some owners experience.
          Last edited by cube; 06-02-2012, 12:02 PM. Reason: Correct price

Comment

i seem to remember the average canadian house spends $2500 a winter on fuel oil for central heating

imho it's shockingly inefficient in anything other than installed during build of a fully insulated hoiuse

the one im on is a 1880s mansion thats had over a mill poured into it so i suspect its had insulation fitted
            Last edited by cube; 06-02-2012, 12:02 PM. Reason: Correct price

Comment

found a link, edited the $5000 down to $2500

and that's for maine which is much colder than dunedin

so that local quote is quite possible

but is it for a new insulated house?

or an older un-insulated house...
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

found a link, edited the $5000 down to $2500

and that's for maine which is much colder than dunedin

so that local quote is quite possible

but is it for a new insulated house?

or an older un-insulated house...
                We're insulating in stages. Initially ceiling and subfloor done in the next month or so, then walls, then double glazing. All up hoping to complete the full upgrade within 3-4 years time.

Comment

Originally posted by beakernz View Post
                  That's interesting as I've seen companies here quote price ranges of 1,500 or so. I guess they are being overly generous. That's one reason I would like to find someone with an older home that has such a system. I guess ducted heat pump systems are an option too as heat pumps can be very efficient, just not sure if they could keep up in the dead of winter and I bet the system cost is higher than radiator based.. Hopefully someone will chime in soon that has some owners experience.
                  Recently renovated, and had ceiling, floors and external walls insulated, and got a heatpump. Windows still single glazed and dont see the need for any further heating. Worked fine during the polar blast last year - am in Auckland.

Comment

We looked into it a few years ago in ChCh. Can't remember costs, sorry, but 2-3 strategically-placed heat pumps were a lot cheaper than a heat pump-based central heating system.

We got MHI heatpumps (that's Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, not to be confused with Mitsubishi Electric) and have been very pleased with them. They coped with the snow and other just-above-zero days fine, none of this crap of spending half the time defrosting themselves. Not cheap but worth it.
                    Last edited by One; 06-02-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

We move in this Sat. but still undecided on heating solution. My #1 choice is radiant heating. I have had heat pumps and I hate the type of heat, I've had funace based radiator heating in the US and it is a much nicer heat imo. Plus most seem to say the older homes with less insulation should run radiant heat. We don't need to be in t-shirts, we just want the chill out of the air and all trafficked rooms to be an ok temp. I don't want to walk into a icebox hallway and into a burning hot lounge for example. Just a nice low warmth throughout the entire home. As far as I can tell the only options are:

1) diesel boiler
                      2) pellet boiler

McKenzie Heating is coming to see me Monday. I am unsure how much running cost these things are. It seems the lowest possible burn could be going through a 15kg bag of pellets per day. This comes out to like $12 a day if 1 ton of pellets is $590. But a hugely frustrating aspect of this is lack of information on pellet prices. Guess I'll have to get on the phone. Anyone here buy by the ton and how much are you paying? I am also concerned about pellet quality. I don't want to get stuck with a ton of crappy burning pellets. Thanks for any input.

Comment

Have you considered a v good log burner + a heat transfer system? Works well if you want one room warm and the rest just with the chill off.

Comment

Originally posted by One View Post
                          Have you considered a v good log burner + a heat transfer system? Works well if you want one room warm and the rest just with the chill off.
                          Yea a log burner with a heat transfer system would be a good set up. I've got a heat pump and a log burner but tend to use the log burner more often. I am going to install the heat transfer system very soon

Comment

Our log burner has just been installed now and we were going to add a transfer kit but its so effective it heats the entire house (three bedroom) itself without the need for the kit (we did have our ceiling insulation upgraded as well ).

Comment

we are renovating an old villa, 3.3m stud hieght, after some research we opted for a savona radiator system, 190 squares, 4bed 2bath, gas fuelled, intial set up 10k, running costs mid winter $200 pm, heat house morning and night, and use lounge fire place as well, highly recomend central heating with radiators.
                              good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X