Ending a fixed term lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending a fixed term lease

hi. i am signed into a fixed term lease until jan 2010.
    i have recently lost my job and my other flat mates are moving out. i have told the landlord that i would like to end my lease and she has been great. i am currently advertising for new tenants to take over the lease but have not had alot of intreset. it has been listed for about a month now. i have a bank loan to pay aswell and i dont know how i am going to pay rent etc when my other flat mates move out. im worried im going to find myself with alot of debt. i was wondering what my rights where with terminating my lease?

Ummm annaj if you signed a fixed term lease to Jan 2010 you are six months overdue for a renewal.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Assuming you mean Jan 2011... aren't your flatmates on the tenancy agreement? I suggest you contact the landlord again and have a talk about your ability to pay, telling them your flatties are leaving. No landlord likes to turn up and find an empty house. Ultimately, if you can't afford the rent, there's no point trying to get blood out of a stone. Try to work out a solution with the landlord.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

If the other tenants are on the fixed term TA then they are jointly and severally liable to pay rent - so if you can't (or won't) the landlord can go after any one of you to get rent.

If, on the other hand you're the only tenanat on the agreement, and the others where "flatmates" then you're on your own.

Kepp talking to the landlord, and try to negotiate a reasonable exit for you.

This time of year its going to be harder to rent a place then back in January, so see if the landlord will allow a reduction on advertised rent, with you making up the difference. Its a lot easier to pay $30 per week than $400.

Comment

Ring the tenancy service for more info - you might qualify for a mediated exit on grounds of hardship. I don't know exactly what constitutes "hardship" in their eyes, but losing your job may count.

0800 83 62 62 between 8:00am and 5:30pm weekdays

Comment

Working...
          X