Hello all
This is an attempt to get some consensus on the community view of Rule 2. Much the same as we did in this thread: http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/sh...highlight=Rule
in regards to 2.B
Rule 2 and in particular 2.B generates most of the moderating work on this forum.
However some are currently suggesting that the moderators are over zealous in their interpretation of it.
In particular several people have recently protested or supported the notion that the moderators are wrongly viewing some posts as negative.
Instead it is claimed that those posts are critical and /or a public service since some people claim they are unmasking villainous behaviour.
Likewise some have suggested that if comments are true then they cannot be negative.
(I apologise if I am not quite stating these positions right, and please do correct me if you feel that I am portraying something wrongly.)
And as Cube points out there is a difficulty in determining exactly what counts as a negative comment, sometimes things may be taken as negative by someone simply because it offends them, even if their offence is based on a misunderstanding.
The view of the moderators is that it doesn't matter whether comments are true or false, nor whether they may be public service or not, if they are broadly viewable from an outsiders position as critical of a specific company or individual then they are negative and trigger rule 2
Note of course this doesn't mean criticism can't be made, all it means is that when it is made it must be signed with the poster's full name.
However we would welcome the thoughts of the PT community on this.
I have set this up as a poll, but, as I am sure you will recognise, it is hard to capture what the different possible positions on this may be in a poll format. So I have only allowed for a broad expression of your view in the poll. As such directed comments here will be much more useful so please let us know what you think.
David Hunter
PT Moderator
This is an attempt to get some consensus on the community view of Rule 2. Much the same as we did in this thread: http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/sh...highlight=Rule
in regards to 2.B
Originally posted by Rules
However some are currently suggesting that the moderators are over zealous in their interpretation of it.
In particular several people have recently protested or supported the notion that the moderators are wrongly viewing some posts as negative.
Instead it is claimed that those posts are critical and /or a public service since some people claim they are unmasking villainous behaviour.
Likewise some have suggested that if comments are true then they cannot be negative.
(I apologise if I am not quite stating these positions right, and please do correct me if you feel that I am portraying something wrongly.)
And as Cube points out there is a difficulty in determining exactly what counts as a negative comment, sometimes things may be taken as negative by someone simply because it offends them, even if their offence is based on a misunderstanding.
The view of the moderators is that it doesn't matter whether comments are true or false, nor whether they may be public service or not, if they are broadly viewable from an outsiders position as critical of a specific company or individual then they are negative and trigger rule 2
Note of course this doesn't mean criticism can't be made, all it means is that when it is made it must be signed with the poster's full name.
However we would welcome the thoughts of the PT community on this.
I have set this up as a poll, but, as I am sure you will recognise, it is hard to capture what the different possible positions on this may be in a poll format. So I have only allowed for a broad expression of your view in the poll. As such directed comments here will be much more useful so please let us know what you think.
David Hunter
PT Moderator


Comment