Header Ad Module

Collapse

There is nothing more important you have to do...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Steve Netwriter
    Fanatical
    • Apr 2008
    • 1114

    #1

    There is nothing more important you have to do...

    "There is nothing more important you have to do than watch these videos" - Chris Martenson

    0. Introduction
    Who is Chris, and what are these videos about?
    Watch the video at the bottom of this page: http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse




    1. Three Beliefs
    Information you can't afford to live without





    2. The Three Es
    Information you can't afford to live without





    3. Exponential Growth





    4. Compounding is the Problem





    5. Growth versus Prosperity





    6. What is Money?
    Information you can't afford to live without





    7. Money Creation





    8. The Fed - Money Creation
    Information you can't afford to live without





    9. A Brief History of Money





    10. Inflation
    For those concerned about the reports of contaminated milk and radioactive rain, the levels are far, far below anything that should be on your personal worry list at this time. Perhaps that could change, but something would have to materially deteriorate at the Fukushima plant complex before I would devote much time to that here in the Americas. And even if there were some sort of steam explosion over there, we'd have roughly eight days before that would reach the west coast. I am leery of the last-minute changes to the EPA radnet site and do not trust the site as my first source for radiation readings. The one I check every day is run by amateurs with no particular axe to grind or concerns about scaring the populace, and so I trust it a bit more.  You can find it here:





    11. How Much is a Trillion





    12. Debt





    13. A National Failure to Save





    14. Assets & Demographics





    15. Bubbles
    Asset bubbles are brutal. The most difficult time to remain centered and focused is during their last stages as everyone around you is going nuts. Logic has been tossed out the window, sentiment is manic, and every narrative – the stories we hear and use to make sense of our world – is thoroughly ungrounded.





    16. Fuzzy Numbers
    Information you can't afford to live without





    The above sections are done, the lower ones are coming:
    Section 17: Peak Oil
    Section 18: Environmental Data
    Section 19: Future Shock
    Section 20: What Should I Do...?


    How long will it take?
    Completed sections are between 3 and 14 minutes in length, meaning that all 20 sections should take about 2.5 hours.

    What is it?
    The Crash Course seeks to provide you with a baseline understanding of the economy so that you can better appreciate the risks that we all face.

    Then what do I do?
    I suggest you start by looking at this section of the website, and read the Breaking News:
        August 25 Dead Banks Walking, Repo Man Calls, Home Sales Your must read article of the day by Bennet Seddaca on which banks are most like Dead Men Walking, even the ‘rich’ are facing the repo man, and the NAR spins house sales yarns while the media nods approvingly.   August 23-24 Banking...


    Then register & look around.


    How to save and watch offline
    If using Firefox, you can save each one with DownLoadHelper.
    Then rename the .flv files to .swf files.

    To play:
    1. Drag and drop into a browser to then watch them.
    or
    2. Right click and select "open with..." and then pick a browser (Firefox, IE etc), and tick "always open with", so all .swf files are opened with your browser.
  • Gatekeeper
    Fanatical
    • Jan 2004
    • 1542

    #2
    Excellent, probably the best that I've seen.
    It's quite hard to get all the relationships lined up in simple terms.
    Looking forward to #17.

    I've never heard of this guy before, so cheers.
    Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

    Comment

    • drelly
      Fanatical
      • Jan 2004
      • 5838

      #3
      I agree, that's an extremely good presentation. I only meant to have a quick look but couldn't tear myself away. His explanation of historic inflation rates over the last 300+ years was fascinating.

      It made me think about the "Hock yourself up to the eyeballs, buy property and then down-sell in 10 years" advice. It's valid (if risky) in a continuing inflationary environment but what happens when the current money paradigm changes? Is inflation going to last long enough for us to benefit before the monetary system has to change - as I think it must.

      I've never seen the point in the idea of a gold-standard as a measure of value for modern currency but the concept of it as a limiter of inflation seems extremely useful given what has happened over the last 30 years or so.

      I'll be really interested in what conclusions he makes and what, if any, advice he has to offer for us as individuals.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

      Comment

      • Steve Netwriter
        Fanatical
        • Apr 2008
        • 1114

        #4
        I'm glad you couldn't tear yourself away
        That's exactly what happened to me.

        Two things:

        1. Register, so you can get access to the ACT section. There you will find some useful advice. It's not huge, but worth the minimal effort.

        2. Listen to the 2x audio interviews in the right panel.

        It took me quite a while to create all those screenshots. I did it because I wanted to try my best to entice people into at least starting to look.
        I tried to capture the essence of each chapter.

        Hopefully your comments will encourage more to give it a go

        Comment

        • drelly
          Fanatical
          • Jan 2004
          • 5838

          #5
          Have registered and listening to the first interview now - the presenters seem a bit stunned.
          You can find me at: Energise Web Design

          Comment

          • Steve Netwriter
            Fanatical
            • Apr 2008
            • 1114

            #6
            This two part interview with Chris Martenson is extremely interesting.
            It expands on the current videos, but also goes into Peak Oil, and gives quite a clue into what the last 4 videos are going to cover.

            Chris interviewed on Corporate Watchdog Radio (12/04/2008 ):


            Starts at 06:30
            Download: http://homepage.mac.com/sanfordlewis...2008-04-09.mp3


            Chris on Corporate Watchdog Radio - PART II (16/04/2008 ):


            Starts at 10:00
            Download: http://homepage.mac.com/sanfordlewis...2008-04-16.mp3

            Comment

            • Badger
              Fanatical
              • Feb 2008
              • 1796

              #7
              Nice selection of articles there Steve

              To bad it will be lumped in the conspiracy theory basket

              Unfortunatly for the uniformed "consumer" majority it is quite true information

              Naturally common sense pointed this out to myself many years ago whilst I was on the park bench one afternoon...

              Comment

              • Steve Netwriter
                Fanatical
                • Apr 2008
                • 1114

                #8
                I've only watched them once so far. I think I ought to watch at least once more.


                For some reason I do not understand there seems to be a great resistance to looking at things like that. Despite the fact they are quite simple, easy to watch, and logical.

                You'd think people (everyone) would want to understand things like why oil has gone up in price.
                Why so many families now have both parents working, and yet still they don't feel rich.
                You'd think people would want to understand bubbles, especially now.

                Maybe the best ting for anyone not really wanting to watch the vids is to listen to the first audio. Maybe that will get you interested.

                Comment

                • Badger
                  Fanatical
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 1796

                  #9
                  Cognitive dissonant

                  Where probably out of time unfortunatly

                  The current game "the prisoners dilema" may not have much more to go

                  The Numbers indicate where pobably heading into the "war of attrition" game a nice global affair benefiting the same group who bought you "total fiat currancy + interest of coarse...

                  Comment

                  • Davo36
                    Fanatical
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 8450

                    #10
                    Crikey.

                    Well at least the original post on this thread was easy to understand. Badger, take note, this is how to post on something you believe others should know about.

                    I watched the first 14 chapters yesterday. I got up this morning and thought to myself "Instead of watching chapter 15, Why am I bothering? What does this guy say to do about all of this? What is the point?" So I clicked on chapter 20, Conclusion 1. And of course it's not there... yes that was stated at the beginning.

                    So whilst I spent around 2 hours yesterday learning all about how 'the next 20 years will be very different from the previous 20' I have no idea what to do about it.

                    I have also been reading a book over the last few days on critical thinking. It's also an American thing. The current chapter is about our constant state of fear. This is instilled in Western societies by the media etc. This stops us from taking risks and clouds our thinking, our judgement etc. That is the real danger. We're so conflicted and confused by all the fear based messages we're constantly receiving that we can't do anything.

                    When will these chapters by Chris Martenson be filled in? Never I expect. This sort of stuff is only ever about the fear, and never about what can practically be done to help one's situation.

                    Steve, if ever he does do the rest, let us know. Until then it's basically a waste of time isn't it? All it does is instill us with unease with no way out.

                    David
                    Last edited by Davo36; 12-08-2008, 08:18 AM.
                    Squadly dinky do!

                    Comment

                    • drelly
                      Fanatical
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 5838

                      #11
                      Davo36,

                      I do see your point and I too would like more in the way of commentary on what he sees happening in the near and not so near future. If you register, you can access pages under the "ACT" link where he does talk about personal finances and purchasing gold and silver to protect against inflation, so there is some significant advice on what he thinks individuals should do.

                      Check out the news reports on the right side of the page. He doesn't just copy them from other sources but also adds his own analysis.
                      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

                      Comment

                      • tricky
                        Fanatical
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 1127

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                        I watched the first 14 chapters yesterday. I got up this morning and thought to myself "Instead of watching chapter 15, Why am I bothering? What does this guy say to do about all of this? What is the point?" So I clicked on chapter 20, Conclusion 1. And of course it's not there... yes that was stated at the beginning......<snipped>....

                        So whilst I spent around 2 hours yesterday learning all about how 'the next 20 years will be very different from the previous 20' I have no idea what to do about it.When will these chapters by Chris Martenson be filled in? Never I expect. This sort of stuff is only ever about the fear, and never about what can practically be done to help one's situation.

                        Steve, if ever he does do the rest, let us know. Until then it's basically a waste of time isn't it? All it does is instill us with unease with no way out.

                        David
                        Well said, David.
                        It's all froth and basically "So what?".
                        I have noticed that these doomers are very good fact gathers.
                        Exceptionally good and they use the internet avidly.
                        Only, having assembled all the details, there's no action possible.
                        Tpr2 (Terry) has offered to check out all these videos - let's wait for his verdict.
                        The big question to the value of this package is 'What will you do differently today?"
                        If the answer is 'nothing' then, what would you conclude?

                        Comment

                        • Steve Netwriter
                          Fanatical
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 1114

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                          Crikey.
                          So whilst I spent around 2 hours yesterday learning all about how 'the next 20 years will be very different from the previous 20' I have no idea what to do about it.

                          Steve, if ever he does do the rest, let us know. Until then it's basically a waste of time isn't it? All it does is instill us with unease with no way out.
                          David

                          I cannot help that much with your first point I'm afraid. If you register, you get access to the ACT area, which does have 'some' information. But I accept it is mainly US related, and is limited to finance.

                          I am looking into this, and hope that I can report back with more information.


                          I believe Chris has been working his way through these vids. They are based on presentations he gives. Last time I was alerted to his website I didn't have time to check them out, and since then he's done two more. So I think he will finish them (I certainly hope so), and I will let you know when he adds one. I should get an email to tell me

                          Comment

                          • Steve Netwriter
                            Fanatical
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 1114

                            #14
                            Originally posted by tricky View Post
                            Well said, David.
                            Tpr2 (Terry) has offered to check out all these videos - let's wait for his verdict.
                            Does that mean you have not looked at them ?

                            Comment

                            • tricky
                              Fanatical
                              • Dec 2004
                              • 1127

                              #15
                              Correct.
                              I've spent too many hours in the past following all these 'you must read this...' and 'what they don't want you to know...' links.
                              All froth and no substance.
                              So I refrain from leaping in and after reading Davo36's comments it would seem I made the right decision.
                              By all means, keep tracking it and report back if there's anything useful for a property investor to know.
                              What would be nice is a one page summary of new facts or ideas instead of 20 links to 20 videos.

                              Comment

                              Working...