Header Ad Module

Collapse

Webinars are they the new seminars?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shane D
    Fanatical
    • May 2008
    • 1047

    #31
    Peter,

    You are defintely an industry insider with a deep knowledge of the property education industry and the main players involved. I for one appreciate your role as the "industry referee". You do a lot of good.

    But even you must admit that the best games/matches happen when the referee takes a more flexible approach and lets small infractions slide for the fluidness of the game (fluid, humonious chatter on PT).

    Sometimes it seems you cross the line from match referee to stalker of your prey and that seems to scare away some experienced posters that less experienced posters like myself can learn from.

    Sorry to bring it up...and hope I haven't made you mad enough to start stalking little old me :-).

    Really love your work and one last question. Why did you stop posting the link on PT to Olly's monthly columns? Those were great.

    Shane

    Comment

    • Keys
      Fanatical
      • Nov 2006
      • 6062

      #32
      Originally posted by PeterEmpowerEd View Post
      Have you ever wondered why someone would write: "I've been a full time property investor for 15 years" ... if that statement isn't accurate?
      Agree. Why state something, which reflects your income potential, if it is plainly untrue?

      Example: I have a property management company with 15 staff and an annual turnover of $4.5 mil (totally untrue).

      The obvious inference is that I'm very successful as PM.
      https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

      Comment

      • PeterEmpowerEd
        • Oct 2003
        • 725

        #33
        Gee, you guys were up early!

        Hi Shane, thanks for your comments.

        “Industry referee”? As if! Feels more like ‘a voice in the wilderness’, mate.

        And “stalker”? Well, yes, I can see why you might suggest that. Certainly Steve Goodey, his associates and various sock-puppets might feel that way (I call it ‘having an attention span’.)

        To quote the iPhone 4 song: ‘You can call me a fan boy, I’ve been called worse things...’

        I like your word ‘humonius’, Shane. Yep, a good goal. Unlike some, I try always to use a reasonable ‘tone of voice’ when I discuss things of interest to me, here at PT. (Try. Don’t always succeed.) Like you, I have only a limited amount of time, so I tend to follow my interests and post accordingly.

        It’s disheartening therefore when pressure from the likes of Steve and his mates (and so-called ‘threats of litigation’) result in whole discussion threads being removed from PropertyTalk — and with them, my own ‘umble contributions, among others. I’m not the only one irritated by that. See Censorship and Sponge Bay thread disappeared ... particularly this thoughtful comment from Xav.

        Truthfully Shane, at times I am amazed at the brazenness of some of the marketing statements and self-aggrandisement spun here at PropertyTalk — of which Steve’s arithmetical challenge about the span of his ‘full-time’ property investing career (cough) is only a minor example.

        It's not good enough to say 'people should do due diligence and not be so gullible', in my view. Speak up.

        --
        re links to Olly Newland’s columns: Yes, a loss, I agree. Super-archiver Muppet (not to be confused with Muffit) used to post them more than me, but it appears you can thank the likes of this from David Blake for the end of that:
        Originally posted by Davo36
        Well shouldn't this column really be in Caveat Emptor? It's basically a sales pitch isn't it?
        This followed David’s earlier suggestion that even a link to Olly’s column should be put into the Caveat Emptor thread because the web page containing the column had an advertisement at the bottom of it! (ikr) Apparently the Moderators agreed(!)

        Olly’s columns are available at Olly’s website. I don't believe he's ever objected to them being linked to here at PT.

        Best wishes - P

        As always, my standard ‘I am not saying I am a saint, nor perfect – not even noble’ disclaimer applies.
        Peter Aranyi
        Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

        Comment

        • TheLiberalLeft
          Banned
          • Aug 2010
          • 2630

          #34
          This thread is about webinars, and in the sales-pitch webinar I do to prospects, one particular "me too" slide promotes the company and its background/experience/history.

          One bullet point refers to the length of time in business.

          If I quadrupled that figure, I'd be lying, and I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing that. So I tell the truth.

          I have no way of knowing if the correct answer is 4 or 15 in the case above, but assuming there has been mention of both in the past, and in the case of the 15 - used to promote someone's "ability to do business", I have to agree with Peter.

          Comment

          • PeterEmpowerEd
            • Oct 2003
            • 725

            #35
            Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
            If I quadrupled that figure, I'd be lying, and I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing that. So I tell the truth.

            I have no way of knowing if the correct answer is 4 or 15 in the case above, but assuming there has been mention of both in the past, and in the case of the 15 - used to promote someone's "ability to do business", I have to agree with Peter.
            Cheers TLL. Thanks.

            I've said it 15 million times: 'Exaggeration is unacceptable in marketing.'
            (Cue: Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen...)


            From: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatHLHG2uGY
            Peter Aranyi
            Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

            Comment

            • One
              Fanatical
              • Sep 2007
              • 1255

              #36
              Just to make sure people realise - the difference seems to be 10 years vs 15 years. Which does sound significant to me.

              Comment

              • lissie
                Addicted
                • Dec 2003
                • 606

                #37
                Originally posted by Dean@Massiveaction View Post
                Live streaming events via webinars is pretty standard now in any country with decent broadband :-). The outsourcing guy who was here last year said it increased his sales by 32% for no additional cost.

                NZ may get there in a decade if we ever stop using tin cans and string for our data.
                I have pretty average ie slow broadband in Wellington - i attend US based webinars frequently- never had a problem with download speed either load or after wards downloading - if you have a problem you are doing something wrong
                Lis:

                Helping NZ authors get their books published

                Comment

                • TheLiberalLeft
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 2630

                  #38
                  Everyone likes to slate the b/band speed in NZ. It's become sport.

                  Comment

                  • lissie
                    Addicted
                    • Dec 2003
                    • 606

                    #39
                    And for 99% of users its good enough - the only time I notice it when uploading videos
                    Lis:

                    Helping NZ authors get their books published

                    Comment

                    • TheLiberalLeft
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 2630

                      #40
                      Oh, don't get me wrong. It's NEVER good enough, but we have what we have. Roll on country-wide fibre optics. Only trouble then will be the old wire between the house and the street. It's only ever as fast as the slowest bit.

                      Comment

                      • Dean@Massiveaction
                        Giving life my best shot
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 5213

                        #41
                        Lissie I meant streaming an event via webinar FROM New Zealand is hard.

                        Comment

                        • foss
                          Opinionated
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 153

                          #42
                          Definitely love the flexibility of webinars. If a particular subject is not relevant can actually do something else without being rude, until it gets on to the next relevant point.

                          One has to be credible though otherwise folk don't turn-up at all.

                          Comment

                          • Snapper
                            Freshie
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 7

                            #43
                            You can have up to 1000 people on a webinar, depends on how much you want to pay each month for the access. Though beats the cost of trying to fill a room with 1000 people

                            Comment

                            • PeterEmpowerEd
                              • Oct 2003
                              • 725

                              #44
                              Only read this if you're actually interested ...

                              Originally posted by PeterEmpowerEd View Post
                              Thanks for your note Shane.
                              Have you ever wondered why someone would write: "I've been a full time property investor for 15 years" ... if that statement isn't accurate?
                              Originally posted by Keys View Post
                              Agree. Why state something, which reflects your income potential, if it is plainly untrue?
                              Example: I have a property management company with 15 staff and an annual turnover of $4.5 mil (totally untrue).
                              The obvious inference is that I'm very successful as PM.
                              Originally posted by One View Post
                              Just to make sure people realise - the difference seems to be 10 years vs 15 years. Which does sound significant to me.
                              Hi, I don't want to side-track the webinars discussion, so my thoughts about manufactured credibility, Steve Goodey's arithmetic (and a few more examples of his um, inexactitude) are contained in a post: Is Steve Goodey confused … or rewriting history? on my personal blog at The Paepae.

                              Cheers, Peter
                              Peter Aranyi
                              Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

                              Comment

                              • Keys
                                Fanatical
                                • Nov 2006
                                • 6062

                                #45
                                Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                                Oh, don't get me wrong. It's NEVER good enough, but we have what we have. Roll on country-wide fibre optics. Only trouble then will be the old wire between the house and the street. It's only ever as fast as the slowest bit.
                                I run my home system on mobile broadband. Those little sticks that plug into your computer. Have a network of computers here as well.

                                It does go slow when people are talking on cell sites though
                                https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

                                Comment

                                Working...