No announcement yet.

Anyone know why Wellington has stalled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know why Wellington has stalled?

Just wondering if anyone has any information on why Wellington property is lagging so far behind the rest of the country?

Wellington to me seems like the ideal place for capital growth; land is only in one direction, big companies have a base of operations there and forecasts show that it is still increasing in population (obviously not at Auckland levels, but still growing)

What am I missing?

There's no growth in Wellington - no new businesses and the population isn't growing.
    No new demand for housing so no house price increases.

Comment

Big business has moved out of Wellington and gone to Auckland.
      We don't have a Labour/leftish government. so lack growth in numbers of the public servants.

Possible ploy - buy up large in Wellington and then vote Labour.

Comment

New valuations just out have shown some increases, though one of my apartments has shown a decrease. This perhaps does not bode well for some of the new builds happening in the CBD at the moment.....

Comment

Also the earth quake risks and compliance cost in the commercial sector might be driving away big businesses and people in general too?

And the unpleasant wind and lack of international airport?

Comment

You guys keep knocking it, I'll keep investing ! The 10% increase I got last week across my portfolio is typical of well selected property; it ain't Auckland, but it seems to be sustainable. Has been for me over the past 15 years anyway.

Comment

Christchurch earthquake, John Key's comment, have damaged confidence

However I am not sure how much Wellington has stalled.

Greater Wellington is a large area, the city itself could be doing well but the Wellington stats not show it
              Some suburbs have done quite well
              The inner city has many apartments, some new, which brings the average down.

Commercial is doing well.

With 1.5 million sq metres of office space, Wellington's CBD is bigger than Auckland's 1.3 million sq metres

Upgrades to 100% of NBS is happening, and note that 100% in Wellington could equal 120 or 130% elsewhere

Insurance premiums have reduced by 20% to 30% recognising that Wellington is far better prepared to cope with a major earthquake than any other major NZ city

The Lambton Quay golden mile has more foot traffic than anywhere else in NZ and is seeing refurbishments including 1000 sq metres at Cable Car lane

David Jones is arriving in Lambton Quay, and announcements from Topshop and Zara are awaited

Developments include:

The Terrace - $72 million refurbishment and expansion of Unisys House
              Molesworth St - $30 million to double size and improve base isolation system to bring Ministry of Health building to 150% of NBS
              Victoria University Pipitea/CBD campus - new six floor annex to existing building, TeAro campus refurbishment
              Cuba Quarter another 1000 sq metres of retail space, Weltec new 9000 sq metres campus
              Waterfront 10,000 sq metres new Willis and Bond office and retail
              Customhouse Quay BP house to make way for $80 million building
              Etc - new apartment hotel Boulcott St, new Xero office development, etc etc

The runway extension plans are gaining momentum
              Transmission Gully is going ahead

Wellington CBD has far more flat land than Auckland CBD

As for the reputation for, I don't know, it not being a nice place, have the naysayers ever actually been there?
              Or did they have a bad experience there? Did they visit in the middle of a howling southerly straight off the Antarctic?
              What is there not to like?
              I live here and I am still staggered by its beauty and all the fun things to do
              Here's one nice little movie of Wellington:
              Wellington, the capital of New Zealand has been titled as the "Coolest little Capital of the World" by Lonely Planet in 2010. The Wellington based Massey and...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                There's no growth in Wellington - no new businesses and the population isn't growing.
                No new demand for housing so no house price increases.
                The population is growing.
                WCC is implementing areas for medium density housing in several suburbs across the city.
                Landowners are being consulted and rezoning areas to commercial is being investigated to make nice 'town' centres
                These initiatives help keep infrastructure costs low, reduce sprawl, and enable investment in public transport.

There are plenty of new businesses in the technology sector,
                and businesses relocating to Wellington.

Rumours of Wellington's death are exaggerated

Comment

House prices have gone sideways so it's a bit hard to argue the population is growing.
                  Left wing councils don't help growth either.

Comment

If Labour or the Greens get in, then the government spending will jump up.

Meaning that Wellington will most likely take off, due to more jobs, higher wages for government workers and more money being thrown around.

Ross
                    Book a free chat here
                    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Chch person here currently staying in Wellington...as a Cantab I must say this place is beautiful but terrifying. Lovely views, gorgeous old buildings perched on the edge of a cliff...but all I can think is PLEASE GOD LETS NOT HAVE AN EARTHQUAKE. Then I remember im an atheist and stop talking to said deity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                        House prices have gone sideways so it's a bit hard to argue the population is growing.
                        Left wing councils don't help growth either.
                        It is a fact that the population is growing.
                        No need to argue anything.

Left wing council?
                        The stymieing of the motorway extension/Basin Reserve flyover/second Mount Vic tunnel was astonishing, the Government went back to court over it and still lost.
                        Initially the Council (green mayor) was opposed to the extension, then later not.
                        But can't have helped perceptions of the Council.
                        Will be interesting to see what the Government does and whether it results in a law change, since with Wellington lobby groups succeeding, a risk roading projects could be stopped elsewhere. Could happen anywhere
                        Actually WCC is progressive and business friendly

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
                          If Labour or the Greens get in, then the government spending will jump up.

Meaning that Wellington will most likely take off, due to more jobs, higher wages for government workers and more money being thrown around.

Ross
                          Given that Wellington is doing fine under John Key's government, that would be interesting.
                          Not sure that Labour is that profligate though.
                          Total number of Government employees has increased under National anyway

Comment

Originally posted by nicsa122 View Post
                            Chch person here currently staying in Wellington...as a Cantab I must say this place is beautiful but terrifying. Lovely views, gorgeous old buildings perched on the edge of a cliff...but all I can think is PLEASE GOD LETS NOT HAVE AN EARTHQUAKE. Then I remember im an atheist and stop talking to said deity.
                            As I watched the shocking aftermath of the second Christchurch I kept thinking 'it was supposed to be Wellington'.
                            I agree. It would be horrible. Loss of life.

Assets can be rebuilt - insure to the max
                            Know where the fault lines are

My partner won't walk up Cuba St because of the old buildings.
                            Last edited by Eugene; 10-11-2015, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Saw a house for sale today.

Stand alone 3 bedroom, no garage no real section.
                              15 Minutes drive to downtown Wellington.

Could be bought for $135,000, repayments interest only at 4.5% would be $117 per week.
                              It would rent for $300 per week.

Wellington is New Zealand real estates hidden secret.
                              (Don't tell anyone)

Comment

Working...
                              X