tiny house - your advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiny house - your advice

I own a house which has a flat terrace behind it. There’s currently a 9.5 sqm sleepout (with power) on it.
    I’ve been doing a lot of research about tiny homes, self-contained buildings and had made the decision to build two structures under ten sqm each (one bedroom/bathroom and one kitchen/living) connected by a deck in order to fit into the sleepout category and therefore not need resource or building consent. I plan to have a composting toilet and gas bottle for the shower and a hot plate but I’d do that knowing that I’m pretty much breaking the ‘no sanitation facilities or kitchen’ rule of the building act.
    My family were more keen on me building a 20sqm building and fully going through the resource and building consent process. Either way we’d be doing it ourselves (minus electrical and necessary plumbing)
    However, I’m finding it really hard to get estimates of how much this may cost even after combing the consent pages and blogs I could find. Some estimates put it at over $20,000 in fees alone which is just not possible for me. I’m also finding it hard to get info on whether sub dividing, earthworks consent, engineering reports and assessment of parking is needed (one post I found said you had to have proof of a carpark or otherwise pay the council to assess your traffic for a week to prove that there’s off street parking readily available?).
    Another suggestion I’ve had is to go through the process of getting consent for a 20 sqm bedroom and study and that this should be pretty straight forward (and cheap) because of there not being water or sewerage systems. I could then add in the composting toilet and hot plate in afterwards.
    Of course this would mean I’d have issues with insurance should a fire happen but I’d have to run that risk.
    So my question is, does anyone have any recent experience of building anything like this? Wellington specific would be especially good
    I see and hear of a lot of tiny homes around but they’re unconsented ones or are on wheels (so in a different category).

Thanks for any advice

too much information, narrow your focus

prefabricated cabins dont need building consent except for work on site. Put on wheels and short term stay and not a building.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. In our case we can't do prefab as we're saving costs by doing the build ourselves. And we don't fit under the transportable rule because we would be considered 'living permanently'.
      Cheers

Comment

Can this be parked on an existing tenanted property?

Comment

I can't do a trailer type arrangement because the structure will be on a terrace behind a house and the terrace can only be accessed by narrow steps

Comment

What's the purpose of your enterprise?

Comment

Personally, I would never do anything illegal. It will catch up on you in one way or another and it's just not worth the risk.

Comment

They are guidelines?

Aston have you never experienced the thrill of driving at 51 kph in a built up area?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecoat View Post
                  Can this be parked on an existing tenanted property?
                  I didn't quite finish the question.
                  Mate wants to put up a tiny house in an existing tenanted
                  property.
                  What are the implications of this as far as Tenancy is concerned. Is there anything to be mindful or is it similar to minor dwelling, with separate TA?

Comment

Wild child over here.

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                    Aston have you never experienced the thrill of driving at 51 kph in a built up area?
                    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Call the council and ask them what the standard RC, BC, services connections and development contribution fees are. You may need to add a water tank if in Wellington. The second kitchen triggers a lot. If you don't have off-street parking get ready for traffic impact surveys etc.

Wouldn't be surprised at $20K at all. You'll need drawings done for your applications and that will be a few $k.
                      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

The second kitchen shouldn't apply here as its not fixed. Its on wheels?

These could be ideal for Air BNB in strategic locations like airports etc.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                          They are guidelines?

JTB - 51 is both reckless and dangerous. You shouldn’t advocate this type of behavior. It will catch up with you!

Comment

Tiny home owners crying out for change to 'perverse' building rules
                            28 Oct 2019
                            Originally posted by Stuff
                            A Canterbury mother-of-two who opted to live in a house bus to make ends meet has appealed to the Government to introduce "common sense" legislation for tiny home owners. Charlotte Murray chose the alternative lifestyle two-and-a-half years ago for her and children Evan, 12, and Tessa, 9, in Leeston, about 30 kilometres southwest of Christchurch, after struggling to maintain a mortgage. She has since been visited twice by the Selwyn District Council and now fears being evicted.

"The first ... [visit was] because of a complaint about the fence on the property I am on. Then they asked me if I lived full-time here and in the bus. I said 'yes' and they said I'm [in] a building then."
                            Looking down that article, it is obvious that it's a bus.

Perhaps, instead of "tiny home owners crying out for change to 'perverse' building rules" the heading might read, "tiny home owners crying out for change to building rules being perversely applied by councils?"

Comment

Tiny homes that can be accomadated on small lots that dont have to be owned by the owner of the TH are the answer to the housing crisis.It removes the expensive land component from the mix

It is rediculous that while councils/govt throw money at affordable houses for $600k that the homeless cannot afford these same people are denied the right and dignity to own their own dwelling at a 60-100k price tag that they own and can drive away with when it suits them.

Shame on the bureaucrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X