Insulation Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation Tips

After just having gone through this process it was a bit more of a mine field than I had thought so thought I would post my tips to maybe help others who still have to get this done.

1. The 'subsidy' scheme feels like it can be a bit of a scam. Get competitor quotes from those that offer the subsidy and those that don't. I felt like the ones offering the subsidy were hiking up the initial price before taking off the discount so I wouldn't have got the full benefit of it.

2. Ask companies to price match or do better to get your business. I actually used Eco Insulation and they matched the quotes I had got from those offering the subsidies saving me the need to have to get the tenants' sign forms etc to get the subsidy. If you have multiple properties also ask for an additional discount.

3. Check the quotes and ask questions - for the same property one company said the insulation it already had in met the regulations and nothing needed to be done, another said it needed a tidy up to be compliant and yet another said it wasn't compliant and needed to be re-insulated. Another suggested I put black plastic under the house to prevent rising damp but another company said that would be a waste of time as the water would just pool ON TOP of the plastic (which I had thought too) and this solution only works for homes that have the area enclosed in and isn't exposed. Makes you wonder....
    Last edited by kazzp; 06-04-2017, 05:30 PM.

Thanks for the tips.

Funny how you get a range of prices and opinions on things from different firms isn't it?
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

We have been quoted $3.50/m2 installation cost here in Wellington with us supplying materials. Underfloor and Ceiling materials exceeding min requirements we're buying at around $5/m2 so total installation on a 100m2 house is $1.8k.

The comparison was a quote from one of the crowds claiming to offer the 50% govt. discount... their quote $2.1k after 50% discount.

Comment

Yes the government discount can be a rort - some double dip I reckon - they get the govt grant and then overcharge you on the initial quote so after the 'discount' you end up paying the usual price anyway. You do have to be careful and get a few quotes to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
          We have been quoted $3.50/m2 installation cost here in Wellington with us supplying materials. Underfloor and Ceiling materials exceeding min requirements we're buying at around $5/m2 so total installation on a 100m2 house is $1.8k.

The comparison was a quote from one of the crowds claiming to offer the 50% govt. discount... their quote $2.1k after 50% discount.
          Quoted as below, is it $24/m2 ??

Mammoth Polyester Ceiling Blanket R2.9 (15m2)
          Product Code : MCB2.9870
          Additional Discount : %
          Description :
          55 $24.70 $1,358.50

I think as its ceiling only I will buy from Bunnings and do it myself.
          Last edited by BlueSky; 14-04-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Just been quoted $19.50 /m2 in Auckland for underfloor insulation installed.

Also what are peoples thoughts on moisture barriers?

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSky View Post
              Quoted as below, is it $24/m2 ??

Product Code : MCB2.9870
              Additional Discount : %
              Description :
              55 $24.70 $1,358.50
              -$0.00
              Total - INCL GST: $1,358.50
              Discount (%) Others: 20%
              Net Payable: $1,086.80

I think as its ceiling only I will buy from Bunnings and do it myself.
              go get a trade quote from Bunnings - get it based on a decent volume I.e 300m2... then find an independent installer to quote install only - at $3.5/m2 it's not worth your time to install yourself and you will get the installer certification for the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                go get a trade quote from Bunnings - get it based on a decent volume I.e 300m2... then find an independent installer to quote install only - at $3.5/m2 it's not worth your time to install yourself and you will get the installer certification for the property.
                In Auckland I got qouted celing install only as $8m2 and $14 for supply and install +gst

Who installs it for $3.50 ?

Comment

D fluff in Wellington based on doing more than a dozen houses...

if you think about how long it takes to install insulation you should get 100m ceiling and floor done in one day... $700 for one day work for an insulation installer is good money

Comment

I paid the same for a carpet installer - and he was going to do two jobs in one day. Maybe we are in the wrong business!

Comment

I received 3 quotes , all about $1100 Incl Gst for ceiling only.

Pink Batts R3.6 Ceiling Segments (180mm thick) quantity 55

Ceiling Insulation Earthwool Glasswool R3.2 qty 70.00

So from above which has the right quantity required - The total floor area of the unit is 70m2 including internal garage.

I replaced the kitchen and saw the wall insulation, still in good condition. The unit is 1970's

Comment

Just did my place, 100m2 3 bedroom 1960s home.

Ceiling R3.6 and Underfloor R1.8. Came out to $2500, Not too bad I thought

Comment

i have just done a120m2 ceiling with r3.6 bats with my son..he is a bldr and fussy with it took us 6 hot sweaty hrs to do it, got the batts on his bosses acc cost $800, left the old batts there and relaid them as well filling in the gaps so in all about 300mm of insulation, didnt do under the floor and probably wont as there is not a lot of room

Comment

Originally posted by Dunning View Post
                            Just been quoted $19.50 /m2 in Auckland for underfloor insulation installed.

Also what are peoples thoughts on moisture barriers?
                            Best price i got was $12.50 per square metre installing R1.5 the green stuff

Comment

Geez I just got a quote for $45 per square metre. I agree there's some opportunists out there - the price should be fixed that way more properties will get the insulation quick smart.

cheers,

Donna
                              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
                              X