Auckland the world's 10th most liveable city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auckland the world's 10th most liveable city

Interesting Article: Auckland the world's 10th most liveable city.

Not when ranked by % of kids who are beaten by their parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
      Not when ranked by % of kids who are beaten by their parents.
      That why you lean a little to the left TLL

Comment

I am not TLL, Bluekiwi.

Comment

Leftette have you travelled outside of NZ? I have done so extensively and from that experience came to realise many times over that NZ is one of the best if not "thee" best country in the world to live in.

Comment

Yes, sane-person. Many many years spent living in US, UK, Europe & Japan. In fact, of my adult life, more years out of NZ than in. If you can remove your rose-tinted glasses for a moment, you'll note that the niceness of NZ does not remove the fact that our child-beating/killing stats (and youth suicide) are amongst the world's highest. Odd, isn't it?

Comment

I know our youth suicide rate here is high .Much of this stems from the fact that news reporting and discussion relating to suicidal deaths in NZ is vetoed. That is such a crazy dumb policy enforced over many years. It hasn't worked .

As regards to child abuse i have not seen the latest statistics.So point me to your source please.

Those countries you refer above as travel experience do not include any thrid world nations .As a traveller with a wider base i have seen both sides of the coin. And it's not pretty.
              Last edited by mrsaneperson; 29-10-2013, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Third-world countries in this comparison is pointless. I thought we were comparing apples with apples.

Comment

10th placement for a NZ city is really good. We are recognised for looking after our elderly too. I don't get the high suicide rate - I used to think it was due to pressure to succeed at school, sport - as it was male teenagers killing themselves - now it's females too so maybe the reasons have changed to boredom, bullying etc and combined with alcohol and drugs - a lethal mixture.

cheers,

Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Talking about livability of a city, Leftette brings up child beating and suicide....... Good one, way to look on the bright side.

Comment

I don't buy into stupid lists like these at all. LP is a commercial organisation and lists like these are based on arbitrary measures on what's flavour of the month. You can picture some PR knob around a table saying "who hasn't been in the list recently?". Next year, Auckland will be 27th or something and you'll be bemoaning the fact. Oh no, we're dropped 17 places - what's become of our lovely city?. When in fact NOTHING has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                        I don't get the high suicide rate...
                        I think a lot of it has to do with Kiwi's shockingly poor ability to communicate. I wouldn't bother asking most NZ men for help if I was depressed! The general response is either silence or "harden up". We have a society that glorifies drinking and "staunchness". No surprise so many top themselves.
                        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

More important issues, the speed of internet is dire.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                            . LP is a commercial organisation and lists like these are based on arbitrary measures on what's flavour of the month.
                            They at least did a little more research than you appear to have with this comment.
                            This report has nothing to do with LP.

Comment

I thought we were talking about the recent Lonely Planet list. Are we not?

Comment

Working...
                              X