Property Management incompetence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Management incompetence

Just wondering do property managers have any authority they report to like Real Estate Agents? I'm guessing they don't as it seems anyone can do it. What do you do if their incompetence has cost you money in unpaid rent and damage which is unlikely to be retrieved?

Originally posted by RHarris View Post
    Just wondering do property managers have any authority they report to like Real Estate Agents? I'm guessing they don't as it seems anyone can do it. What do you do if their incompetence has cost you money in unpaid rent and damage which is unlikely to be retrieved?
    Nope. Property Managers are NOT governed by any body.

Shane

Comment

They have every authority to exercise NZ Tenancy Law as a landlord does and no more or no less than a Real Estate Agent does.

You have authority to apply to the Disputes Tribunal for recourse from them if you are out of pocket as a result of thier mis-management

Also a good agent should have also named the property owner as a LL party on a tenancy agreement - allowing the owner every right to make applications with the Tenancy Tribunal themselves

Comment

Have just got rid of one myself who constantly paid rent late. Have since heard stories (be them true or not) that other owners have been invoiced for repairs which were never carried out - did affect my property as any maintenance we organised ourself. Really need a rate my PM website.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassandra View Post
          Also a good agent should have also named the property owner as a LL party on a tenancy agreement - allowing the owner every right to make applications with the Tenancy Tribunal themselves
          I was hoping the idea of having a property manager is you don't go through this hassle of Tenancy Tribunal yourself.

I thought that maybe property managers that are divisions of Real Estate agencies might have more rules applied through REINZ.

I guess an option is to take the property managers to disputes tribunal. It seems that the property management fees already paid were a waste of money as they weren't managing the property well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by RHarris View Post

I thought that maybe property managers that are divisions of Real Estate agencies might have more rules applied through REINZ.
            Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
              Have just got rid of one myself who constantly paid rent late. Have since heard stories (be them true or not) that other owners have been invoiced for repairs which were never carried out - did affect my property as any maintenance we organised ourself. Really need a rate my PM website.
              Not a bad idea having a feedback site. I find 50% of managers know what they're doing and 50% are useless. The standard just isn't good enough for how much money they take. They just seem to have a free reign to be useless.

Comment

Thanks. Yes a qualification and authority for them is a good idea.

Comment

Yes I stuck with them for a while as they did place good tennants and its hard with no personal recomendations to pick a new one, at the risk of jumping from the pot into the fire so to speak.

I did look through TT orders in regards to the PM companies I was considering but other than that not a lot to go on.
                  Last edited by Maccachic; 15-08-2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Word- of- mouth referrals from satisfied property owners are the best testimonials for either independent PM's and REINZ PM's

Comment

Yes but I wouldn't trust WOM from someone I didn't know, that was provided by a PM company. Could be their brother/sister/cousin/the guy they are paying with beer.

Comment

Question: If a tenant had moved out and obviously hasn’t been very organised. He abandoned a bunch of rubbish in the flat and left windows, doors wide open and lights fully on. What would you do when you walk in to this during inspection day?

Answer: If you have any common sense. The least you would do is ring up the tenant and see if he has fully moved out. Shut the lights, windows and doors so not anyone can just walk in and out the property.

What my (ex) property manager did: walked right in and right out. Wrote an email complaining about the situation and telling me that she doesn’t know “where we go from here”.

What I did: I told the PM to go back the property and shut everything and also ring tenants. Of course she is determined to be absolutely useless and do nothing. I had to ask my friend who drove to the property to do that after his work. I rang the tenant and give them a deadline to clean up the property. They didn’t and the next day cleaning company came cleaned up all the mess and I chased tenant’s parent for cleaning money (which they paid).

And there is nothing we can do about the incompetent PM except learn the lesson. It’s when shet hits the fan you know what your pm worth. Paying someone and also doing their job is absolutely crazy. Yet I just did. Oh and I did all that while I was overseas. Wow, I want to laugh now.
                        Last edited by SleepyTiger; 15-08-2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Do you have a contract? Pretty sure there are remedies under that - The lawyers on here will be able to provide advice. But there will be costs.

Comment

Lol yes, but what’s the point? I do love to bring them down, but it’s hardly worth my time or money. I got all the money back from the tenant’s parent and the bond, happily managing the property myself now.

Comment

If you feel the need to vent, and to provide a heads up for other LL's, you can always name the PM on here (provided your post is signed with your real name).
                              Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Working...
                              X