No announcement yet.

Carpet clean at end of tenancy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. The tenant did agree it needed a clean. All good now.

Comment

Originally posted by erinak View Post
      Thanks. The tenant did agree it needed a clean. All good now.
      Even if tenant did not agree with you that the carpet needed cleaning, there is an easy solution. You get a professional cleaning service done and on the receipt get the contractor to write that the carpet did indeed need to be cleaned as was evidenced by the dirty coloured water after the clean was finished.
      This should be more than enough evidence to secure the costs against the tenant,
      I hate it when tenants try to get out of cleaning the carpets at the end of their tenancy when its stated clearly in their TA. The incoming tenant always gets a cleaned carpet and most appreciate this fact and therefore should expect to be doing the carpet cleaning at the end of their tenancy. I always insist on using a professional carpet cleaner however the law is on their side in relation to this but if they have done the job themselves and it doesn't look good then that is the time to bring in a contractor and they will need to reimburse for this , so my advice to the tenant is always use a professional carpet cleaner from the get-go.

Comment

^^^ WOW!

Do you also charge 6 weeks rent for bond?

You may hate it but that is not your problem. I hate it when I sit at red lights and there is no traffic to dodge. Do I drive through a red light?

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
          ^^^ WOW!

Do you also charge 6 weeks rent for bond?

You may hate it but that is not your problem. I hate it when I sit at red lights and there is no traffic to dodge. Do I drive through a red light?
          Unfortunately it becomes my problem and then the errant tenants problem as they then get a bill for the uncleaned carpet. I'm not driving through any red light , I'm actually avoiding them by keeping them green for both tenant and landlord. Mutual interests are being served

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
            Unfortunately it becomes my problem and then the errant tenants problem as they then get a bill for the uncleaned carpet. I'm not driving through any red light , I'm actually avoiding them by keeping them green for both tenant and landlord. Mutual interests are being served
            Works until the TT gets involved then they may decide that the carpet is reasonably clean (doesn't have to be perfectly clean).
            Dirty water from the carpet clean may just be taking it from 'reasonably clean' to 'perfectly clean' (which they would argue is at your cost).

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
              Works until the TT gets involved then they may decide that the carpet is reasonably clean (doesn't have to be perfectly clean).
              Dirty water from the carpet clean may just be taking it from 'reasonably clean' to 'perfectly clean' (which they would argue is at your cost).
              This from a person who has never cleaned his rental carpets in over a decade,

Comment

This from a person who has never cleaned his rental carpets in over a decade,
                It isn't about me - it is about the TT and the law as they apply it.
                Let us know how you get on if you get to the TT.

Comment

Simple I've never had an issue i always use wording in my TA like "we strongly recommend using a professional carpet cleaner and will not allow use of rug doctor" . Essentially i'm looking after both tenant and landlord. Hows your carpet cleaning coming on, you said you hadn't cleaned them for a decade, i mean really? A tenant moving in to one of your properties could in essence charge you for a professional carpet cleaner to come in,. Its all very humpty dumpty saying they look clean but their is dirt and allergens that get trapped in the fibres.You are deserting your duty in this regard and the vast majority of decent tenants would reject moving into a property for the very reason, that the carpet cleaning procedure hadn't been done. Honestly where is your pride?

Comment

I'm not driving through any red light ,
                    Really?
                    Originally posted by mrsaneperson
                    I hate it when tenants try to get out of cleaning the carpets at the end of their tenancy when its stated clearly in their TA.
                    This suggested you enforced carpet cleaning, later you modify your statement as a good politician does. Not thinking when fist posting and then, later, trying to cover up their mistake.

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

I used to use the phrasing so it left no choice but checking my recent TA's : At the end of the tenancy the carpets should be cleaned - we recommend the tenant organize & pay to have the carpets cleaned by a professional. [Professional service, receipt required]

So no red light or political maneuvering. Really at the end of the day it is in the mutual interests of both tenants outgoing & incoming and landlord to have a professional carpet cleaner , when this is not done as sometimes is the case then it leaves only the option recommended previously, which takes us back to what should have been done in the first place .

This is not something anyone is gaining by avoiding the bleedin' obvious i.e that the carpets should be cleaned. Do you want someones nose pickings, snot , spittle, faeces, allergens, pathogens lying in the carpet fibres even though the carpet looks clean? OK . I'll leave you and your new tenants to it then,

I run first class ships with all my tenancy's .

Comment

I agree with Mrsaneperson that there is a difference between a clean carpet and a clean looking carpet but I'd like to hear how he gets on convincing a TT adjudicator that that is what is implied in the Act. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                          I agree with Mrsaneperson that there is a difference between a clean carpet and a clean looking carpet but I'd like to hear how he gets on convincing a TT adjudicator that that is what is implied in the Act. ;-)
                          He's answered that already - been lucky and hasn't got to the TT.
                          It could be argued that a carpet doesn't get excessively dirty over a year so would be 'reasonably clean' at the end of a 1 year tenancy.
                          Carpet gets dirty over a week, even dirtier over a year. At what point it is excessively dirty and 'unclean' is also debatable.
                          Bringing the carpet back to 'completely clean' could be argued to be maintainence, just the same as paint slowly wears out.
                          No doubt he will also, again, harp on about my previous carpet cleaning posts which he is obviously fixated about.

Comment

He's answered that already - been lucky and hasn't got to the TT.
                            It could be argued that a carpet doesn't get excessively dirty over a year so would be 'reasonably clean' at the end of a 1 year tenancy.
                            Carpet gets dirty over a week, even dirtier over a year. At what point it is excessively dirty and 'unclean' is also debatable.
                            Bringing the carpet back to 'completely clean' could be argued to be maintainence, just the same as paint slowly wears out.
                            No doubt he will also, again, harp on about my previous carpet cleaning posts which he is obviously fixated about.
                            I don't think you get the point Wayne. The point is no "decent" new tenant would be happy with the fact that the carpets hadn't been cleaned and were quite OK with their small kids rolling around on the carpet while all those "nasty" critters lay beneath them in the carpet fibres waiting to pounce. For the sake of around $140 you don't have to run the risk of allergens and contagious diseases you can have a 3 bedroom house done for a professional carpet clean. Raise your standard Wayne.

Comment

I don't think you get the point Wayne. The point is no "decent" new tenant would be happy with the fact that the carpets hadn't been cleaned and were quite OK with their small kids rolling around on the carpet while all those "nasty" critters lay beneath them in the carpet fibres waiting to pounce. For the sake of around $140 you don't have to run the risk of allergens and contagious diseases you can have a 3 bedroom house done for a professional carpet clean. Raise your standard Wayne.
                              Again it isn't about me - can't you get that?
                              The law says that the tenant has to leave the carpet 'reasonably' clean and they should pay to leave it that way (if they need to).
                              If you want the carpet 'absolutely' clean then that is for YOU to pay.

I appreciate that you feel the tenants gain by moving into a place that has had the carpets freshly cleaned and therefore they should feel obliged to leave it that way when they leave but they don't HAVE to.
                              It is all fine and well that your standard is that tenants should move in with clean carpets - your standard and you should pay.

Just the same as a general house clean - I pay to have the house professionaly cleaned before a new tenancy and I expect the tenant to leave the place 'reasonably' clean at the end. I then pay for another professional clean to bring it up to MY entry standard.

Comment

Again it isn't about me - can't you get that?
                                The law says that the tenant has to leave the carpet 'reasonably' clean and they should pay to leave it that way (if they need to).
                                If you want the carpet 'absolutely' clean then that is for YOU to pay.

I appreciate that you feel the tenants gain by moving into a place that has had the carpets freshly cleaned and therefore they should feel obliged to leave it that way when they leave but they don't HAVE to.
                                It is all fine and well that your standard is that tenants should move in with clean carpets - your standard and you should pay.

Just the same as a general house clean - I pay to have the house professionaly cleaned before a new tenancy and I expect the tenant to leave the place 'reasonably' clean at the end. I then pay for another professional clean to bring it up to MY entry standard.
                                I think you're still missing the point Wayne, no one is saying that the carpet has to be absolutely perfectly clean. What is required is that the carpets should be reasonably clean and by getting a pro carpet cleaner in to suck up the dreaded debris in the fibres this is a standard that can and should be adhered to and costs awarded from verification of the receipt with a statement from the contractor as such that indeed the carpet was not clean . You posted in some threads here that you haven't had any of your carpets cleaned in any of your rentals for over a decade . That's outrageous , theirs no way if you informed a "decent" tenant that they would take up residency. As i said before raise your standard for your tenants and yourself ! We're talking a measly $140 , not 1K for a simple procedure that gives peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X