No announcement yet.

"Poverty Mentality" What are the signs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm reading a wonderfully enlightening book by Mark Manson called "The subtle art of not giving a xxxx'. It is described as a counterintuitive approach to living a good life.
    Manson says that the key to a good life is the understanding that 'sometimes life is messed up and we have to live with it'
    "Instead of trying to turn lemons into lemonade, we should learn to stomach lemons better, and stop distracting ourselves from life's inevitable disappointments chasing money, success and possessions. It's time to re-calibrate our values and what it means to be happy; there are only so many things we can worry about, he says, so we need to figure out which ones really matter"
    There are alot xxxx's in it, if you find that word offensive, maybe leave it alone and don't read it. :-)

Comment

My perspective is more about those who are in a situation and complain that they cannot break free of that situation.

There are those who are rich or poor and yet are happy with their status.

I've met poor people who worry about what they haven't got and complain about how little the gummint gives them;

as well rich people who worry about keeping what they have and complain about how much the gummint is taking off them.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
        My perspective is more about those who are in a situation and complain that they cannot break free of that situation.

I've met poor people who worry about what they haven't got and complain about how little the gummint gives them;

as well rich people who worry about keeping what they have and complain about how much the gummint is taking off them.
        At the end of the day, life is all about choices. We can choose to worry, we can choose to compare ourselves, we can choose to whinge or not, we can choose to remain in the situation that is making us unhappy.
        My sons have a couple of friends that have lost jobs because of actions they were in control of, mainly alcohol. They have nothing, no money, no job. My suggestion was that they get enough money together to buy a ticket out of here and do their OE's, both of which are at an age that makes it a good time in their lives. Better to head offshore and have a good time on a working holiday than stay here trying to keep up with your mates that are building careers, buying homes and having kids. There is always an alternative and sometimes you just have to move the goal posts to make you happy.

Comment

Good advice for the young adults Meehole. NZ is very insular so seeing how others live etc is exactly what's needed. I know I did my growing up on the OE albeit a long one - 12 years.

Humans always need something to worry about - that book does sound interesting - will see if it's avail as an kindle book on Amazon.

cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post

yes, indeed.

Personally, I'm thankful for every single day on this planet.

Expect nothing, not common sense, fairness or honesty from the people I encounter through my day.

And am therefore delighted when I bump into good, smart, adventurous people.

I expect people to emulate their role models and fall in with their environments, good or bad.

I expect it to always be difficult to make and keep the next dollar.

It's kind of fun, in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post

Expect nothing, not common sense, fairness or honesty from the people I encounter through my day.

And am therefore delighted when I bump into good, smart, adventurous people.

So what you’re saying is that if you have low expectations people and things will exceed your expectations resulting in happiness?

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                So what you’re saying is that if you have low expectations people and things will exceed your expectations resulting in happiness?
                Haha.

Sure.

Why not.

If that works for you.

It's all a bit egocentric though.

I'm pretty sure the sun has been coming up in clear blue skies, and green buds have beep appearing every spring, a long long time before any one of us decided to consider them.

Comment

Haha.

Sure.

Why not.

If that works for you.

It's all a bit egocentric though.

I'm pretty sure the sun has been coming up in clear blue skies, and green buds have beep appearing every spring, a long long time before any one of us decided to consider them.
                  Lower expectations of oneself and others results in a society that accepts average.

Accepting average is a race to the bottom.

It if you’re average our red shirt mates will give you everything you need so why try harder. Thing is getting free stuff for no effort quickly moved from a hand out to an expectation

Comment

It's a good thing we're not all the same.
                    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Anyone watch 'The Good Shit'? Doco about trying to combat lifelong obesity through new treatment theory.

Anyway, one of the participants (who was unhappy about her weight and wanted to slim down) was an Islander girl. Uni student who was huge and noticeably putting on weight on a weekly basis. (She was thrilled when it slowed down to 2kg over six weeks, at one point.)

But to hear her talk........ she explained that they ate takeaways every night, because her mother finished work at five and the vege shop closed at five.

I'll say it again...she was a university student.

They also showed footage of her going to the night markets and buying more junk food, including a big batch of donuts, while talking about how junk food was cheap, so that was another reason. I've been to the same night market she was in - I never buy much as it's expensive!

So she was looking for - literally - a magic pill, rather than make simple lifestyle changes or look for solutions to their so-called timing problem. This is despite her being, presumably, intelligent enough to go to university.

That, to me, is a poverty mentality.

(She ended up, at the six-month mark, having put on 8kg of fat.)
                      My blog. From personal experience.
                      http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                        Anyone watch 'The Good Shit'? Doco about trying to combat lifelong obesity through new treatment theory.

Anyway, one of the participants (who was unhappy about her weight and wanted to slim down) was an Islander girl. Uni student who was huge and noticeably putting on weight on a weekly basis. (She was thrilled when it slowed down to 2kg over six weeks, at one point.)

But to hear her talk........ she explained that they ate takeaways every night, because her mother finished work at five and the vege shop closed at five.

I'll say it again...she was a university student.

They also showed footage of her going to the night markets and buying more junk food, including a big batch of donuts, while talking about how junk food was cheap, so that was another reason. I've been to the same night market she was in - I never buy much as it's expensive!

So she was looking for - literally - a magic pill, rather than make simple lifestyle changes or look for solutions to their so-called timing problem. This is despite her being, presumably, intelligent enough to go to university.

That, to me, is a poverty mentality.

(She ended up, at the six-month mark, having put on 8kg of fat.)
                        Good smarts and bad habits can happily co exist in the same brain.

Comment

Lower expectations of oneself and others results in a society that accepts average.
                          Wouldn't it be nice if the attitudes of one individual could sway the masses to that amount.

Accepting average is a race to the bottom.

In yourself? or others? Accepting something is the same as dong it? Chosing a direction up or down is the only option, what bout staying still? or moving side wards?

It if you’re average our red shirt mates will give you everything you need so why try harder.
                          Where can I find some good old fashioned Reds these days?

Thing is getting free stuff for no effort quickly moved from a hand out to an expectation
                          People will acclimatise to most things.

Adding up all your statements, I get the feeling that you've assembled a very nice mantra.

It looks good on you.

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if the attitudes of one individual could sway the masses to that amount.

In yourself? or others? Accepting something is the same as dong it? Chosing a direction up or down is the only option, what bout staying still? or moving side wards?

Where can I find some good old fashioned Reds these days?

People will acclimatise to most things.

Adding up all your statements, I get the feeling that you've assembled a very nice mantra.

It looks good on you.
                            thankyou.

The reality is you either contribute to society or are an anchor on it. I prefer the former.

Comment

Good smarts and bad habits can happily co exist in the same brain.
                              Yes, but those smarts should have told her that those excuses were bullshit.
                              She just didn't want to put any effort into solving her problem. And therein lies the poverty mindset.
                              My blog. From personal experience.
                              http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                                Yes, but those smarts should have told her that those excuses were bullshit.
                                She just didn't want to put any effort into solving her problem. And therein lies the poverty mindset.
                                The old McDuck brain is full of fragments of human interactions most curious.

On this occasion it dishes up an interaction between Te Radar and an islander lady.
                                He was too skinny to be attractive to her.
                                Weight is a sign of wealth and prestige in her village.

Comment

Working...
                                X