Electrical Regulations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Regulations?

Can someone with more knowledge than me, point me in the right direction here (or just give me the answer).

I'm pretty keen on doing most things myself - who isn't this is NZ? I'm pretty happy with my level of skills (I won't go in to more detail).

I have the following questions:

In regards to lighting
    * I know I can change a light bulb
    * Can I change the light fitting? (wiring to the actual switch will stay exactly the same)
    * Can I move the current light fitting? (wiring to the actual switch will stay exactly the same)
    * Can I add additional light fittings onto the current light fitting - (that goes to an existing switch)

In regards to the power source to the light switch - I won't be touching this. Just adding in new lights to existing light fittings.
    Going to add some of those lights that stay in the ceiling (low energy suckers).

It will be in my own house.

Also... If I'm now allowed to do anything... why not? Is it for Insurance for the Council?

Don't call my lazy, I've looked here: http://www.standards.co.nz/touchston...al/default.htm
    and not really keen on reading through standards.

Final question.
    * Can I add existing lights to a current light and then also hook the lights into another existing switch? for example; currently there may be only 1 light in a hallway with one switch. Can I add another 2 lights to the current light and then also add them to another switch (say the lounge light switch) at the other end of the hallway?

Some people say, lay the wires and get the sparky to check it - still costs almost the same amount!

Go here

NZECP 50: 2004 New Zealand Electrical Code of Practice for Repair and Maintenance of Domestic Electrical Appliances by the Owner of the Appliance

NZECP 51: 2004 New Zealand Electrical Code of Practice for Homeowner/ Occupier’s Electrical Wiring Work in Domestic Installations.

NZECP:50 2004 and NZECP:51 2004 are available on the Energy Safety’s website www.energysafety.govt.nz.

A quick guide here

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) plays a central role in shaping and delivering a strong New Zealand economy.

Cheers
    Spaceman
    Last edited by spaceman; 12-06-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbw View Post
      Can someone with more knowledge than me, point me in the right direction here (or just give me the answer).

I'm pretty keen on doing most things myself - who isn't this is NZ? I'm pretty happy with my level of skills (I won't go in to more detail).

I have the following questions:

In regards to lighting
      * I know I can change a light bulb
      * Can I change the light fitting? (wiring to the actual switch will stay exactly the same)
      * Can I move the current light fitting? (wiring to the actual switch will stay exactly the same)
      * Can I add additional light fittings onto the current light fitting - (that goes to an existing switch)

In regards to the power source to the light switch - I won't be touching this. Just adding in new lights to existing light fittings.
      Going to add some of those lights that stay in the ceiling (low energy suckers).

It will be in my own house.

Also... If I'm now allowed to do anything... why not? Is it for Insurance for the Council?

Don't call my lazy, I've looked here: http://www.standards.co.nz/touchston...al/default.htm
      and not really keen on reading through standards.

Final question.
      * Can I add existing lights to a current light and then also hook the lights into another existing switch? for example; currently there may be only 1 light in a hallway with one switch. Can I add another 2 lights to the current light and then also add them to another switch (say the lounge light switch) at the other end of the hallway?

Some people say, lay the wires and get the sparky to check it - still costs almost the same amount!
      Ignoring the issue of what you are permitted to do.
      The problem many people have is that most old light circuits only have phase and neutral wiring. Like no earth.
      Most new light fittings have metal cases that need an earth attached to them. The reason for the earth wire is faults can and do happen. That is the nature of hot things and all electrical things get hot from time to time. When the phase comes into contact with the case which sits up in the nice insulated dry ceiling the fuse will not blow until the poor greatly loved wife or kids go to clean it and zap you have a smoking dead corpse on the floor that can no longer cook you meals.

Comment

We do have a sparky on the forums who may come across this thread
        and offer a perspective. AFAIK, a home owner may do what you asked
        about, for their own home.
        In regards to lighting
        From my understanding (and practice) all of what you ask is permitted
        without the need for a sparky or a CCC.

Don't get to dance the 50 cycle samba as you do the job, please.

Comment

Don't get to dance the 50 cycle samba as you do the job, please

What is this? lol

Got a sparky around today to put in a new extractor, heat and light in the bathroom. Glad I did as I learnt a lot, more about the power and switches ect. Cost about $450 including the unit (inc GST). took him a while though, maybe 5 hours. He had to disconnect the old extractor fan (was old, not powerful and no venting to outside) and also patch up the ceiling where it was.

Comment

Originally posted by sbw View Post
            What is this? lol

Got a sparky around today to put in a new extractor, heat and light in the bathroom. Glad I did as I learnt a lot, more about the power and switches ect. Cost about $450 including the unit (inc GST). took him a while though, maybe 5 hours. He had to disconnect the old extractor fan (was old, not powerful and no venting to outside) and also patch up the ceiling where it was. [/COLOR]
            Most electricians hate those extractor fan lights for those very reasons.
            Best I say to give them a miss.

As for Perry's well intentioned advice. No you landlords are not permitted legally to do any work. All commercial work is excluded. You can do it only if the house is your own home which would exclude just about all rentals. Of course these days there is also the new rules that DBH have put out on being a registered building practioner.
            Ho hum. Nothing like more rules to generate some jobs for the boys.

Comment

The fifty-cycle samba is the dance one does when making the wrong connection.
              I.e. Personal electrification. Shocking. Avoid it. It's not fun. To quote:
              many a live wire would be dead if not for their connections.

Glenn is right. Twice. "No you landlords are not permitted legally to do any work.
              All commercial work is excluded. You can do it only if the house is your own home
              which would exclude just about all rentals."

Perry is right. Once. "A home owner may do what you asked about, for their own home."

Stay away from the switch/fuse board, too, except to turn things on and off.
              Fools rush in behind there . . . .

Comment

Working...
              X