Flooded Lockwood buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooded Lockwood buildings

Has anyone had any experience with remediating the effects of flooding in a lockwood building? A building survey has indicated that the bottom three boards of a Lockwood timber building in Edgecumbe will need to be replaced after the recent flooding. The building is about 30 years old and I understand that they are constructed from the bottom up making it very difficult to replace the bottom boards which have an aluminum outer cladding.

wouldnt that be the insurance co's problem?

Comment

my understanding is they were/are slotted together tongue + groove from the bottom up

and then maybe tied together with steel rods...

bare wood inside and alloy sheathed on outside walls

while it would be technically possible to support the roof + upper walls with internal jacks and structure it would seem more practical to simply dehumidify the hell out of everything....

or knock it down and build again

Watch a virtual build of our Verandah Show home in this 3min video and learn how the unique Lockwood building system works.In the Lockwood system, solid timb...
      Last edited by eri; 19-04-2017, 08:19 PM.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Ask Lockwood. They should have some idea's.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalodge View Post
          Has anyone had any experience with remediating the effects of flooding in a lockwood building? A building survey has indicated that the bottom three boards of a Lockwood timber building in Edgecumbe will need to be replaced after the recent flooding. The building is about 30 years old and I understand that they are constructed from the bottom up making it very difficult to replace the bottom boards which have an aluminum outer cladding.
          Had a talk to the local Chemdry guys who are working there. It seems that Lockwoods manage well with this. Dry them out and all is good.
          Done a few before.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
            Had a talk to the local Chemdry guys who are working there. It seems that Lockwoods manage well with this. Dry them out and all is good.
            Done a few before.
            I wouldn't be too worried about the timber itself, it will dry out. But what about the lamination of the aluminium to the timber? I would be concerned that it will fail.

What type of flooring is it? If it's particle board, there will be issues. Some of the earlier Lockwoods were T&G rimu, which would probably dry out OK.

Comment

Thanks .. I will keep you posted with the results. The floor is concrete. Not sure what the effect on retaining bolts will be or the aluminum cladding lamination. Insurance co will obviously go with remediation but will there be problems down the track?

Comment

there will be problems getting cover with your insurance for future flooding

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                  there will be problems getting cover with your insurance for future flooding
                  Shouldn't be an issue. It was a one in 500 year event after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                    Shouldn't be an issue. It was a one in 500 year event after all.
                    That would make a great Tui billboard

Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X