Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewage pump

Hello guys,

My house's private sewage pipes are not high enough to connect to the public one, and was advised to install a pump. Just wondering if anyone has experience having this system? My questions are:

1. Do they require lots of maintenance?
    2. How often a service is required?
    3. How expensive to service it?
    4. How often do they go wrong?

Cheers!

J

We have one in a rental. Been there 10 years. Had to add an RCD, other than that no issues. Buy a good one don't skimp on price our plumber told us. They are only working a few minutes a day so generally last a long long time.

Comment

Hey Bobsyouruncle,

Thank you for the reply, do you know how much is a good one? I was told that the my pipe is about 300mm height difference to the public pipe, not sure if it's huge system or not.

Comment

I've had one of these pumps. I actually had two pumps, one connected up and one for a reserve, although that's probably not necessary. Never had serious problems with the pump, once every couple of years we had to call the plumber to unblock it. On one occasion he had to take it away for a service, he turned on the reserve pump on that occasion. The height was probably about half a metre or so. A straight forward service was about $150 from memory and it was only serviced when it blocked. The key to it was to ensure that you took care not to flush anything that would block the pump.

Comment

Thank you Aston, which plumber did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by semaj_nil View Post
            Thank you Aston, which plumber did you use?
            Come to think of it, it wasn't a plumber it was a Pump Maintenance Co.

This was in the Waikato, can't remember the name of the Co.

Comment

Originally posted by semaj_nil View Post
              My house's private sewage pipes are not high enough to connect to the public one, and was advised to install a pump. Just wondering if anyone has experience having this system?
              This system? What 'system?'

Are you referring to those toilets that have their own collection box with a type of macerater pump in them? I use a holding tank for grey and black water and a submersible-with-float-switch to empty it. I also have a spare pump, but it's not always enough. I had a pump fail over Easter; put in the replacement - it ran for 30 seconds and died. I got a new pump the following week and it lasted 5 days. Just a run of bad luck.

But a warning: wet wipes will kill that sort of pump, because they are semi-fabric, rather than paper.

Comment

We have had various pumps for 20 years plus. If the head is not too much you can get away with a smaller (cheaper one). We now have the sanipro plus with another in reserve. Tenants need to be briefed or nails etc will destroy it. We really see them as a necessary evil but ymmv . cheers Ewan

Comment

Just make sure that the tenants know not to flush sanitary napkins and wet wipes down as it will kill them.
                  Last edited by Perry; 08-09-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

As per Dunnings comment. Advise tenants what not to flush, have a bathroom bin, etc.
                    Make sure to use a proper waste water pump (Sanipro as above etc) and not a big water pump. Water pumps are cheaper but don't last.
                    Oh, and where the switch is to turn it off in case it jams as overheating kills them quick.
                    Rentex Limited Property Management - Est. 1988

Comment

Working...
                    X