Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power companies - who pays between tenants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't bothered to read the thread because it's really simple.
    If the tenant closed their power account, you're liable. If they didn't, they are.
    When a tenant moves out, turn the mains off. Easy.
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

I think you should read the thread and perhaps learn something new.

Comment

You were pretty rude to them. If the last tenant left a light on, and power mains were left on, how is that the power companies fault? And how is it not your fault for not going and checking it all? You were prettu rude to them, and the bill falls fully onto your shoulders. It was hardly worth disputing in the first place. If you REALLY feel paying the small bill will break the bank, then get in touch with the previous tenants and ask them to pay. But use this as a lesson to go to the property AFTER the last tenants have moved out (not quite sure why you wouldn't do this in the first place).

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
          I think you should read the thread and perhaps learn something new.
          He left the mains on. Legally you might have a defence but it's hardly worth fighting over. The alternative is to request the power be turned off, incurring greater costs than if you actually pay. Having said that, I've been in that situation where there is power use after the tenants leave (several times) and never been charged for it.
          Last edited by drelly; 13-04-2012, 02:36 PM.
          You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

The previous tenant has had a final reading and vacanted the property so it is not his responibility. I see it no other way apart that you are liable, certainly the new tenants aren't, and why should the previous tenants be liable, its not their fault you haven't checked the property. Do you have a property manager that you can blame? I have some experience with working as a contractor for retailers doing disconnects and reconnects. They are extremely inconvient for all really, property owners, tenants, lines companies etc, etc plus the increase in compliance since the viasco in Auckland over the Mulingas. It is normally for the power companies to disconnect after the property has been vacant for about a month, the retailers aren't to know when the place is to be occuped again and the cost of the disconnects and reconnects for vacant are covered by the retailer and not charged to the customer, so they are expensive.....Pay the bill, after all its tax deductable as a business expense.

Comment

Hmm interesting firstly I agreed with the OP but then what proof does the power company have that you didn't use electricity to show prospectus tenants thru, clean the place up etc since you have the keys and access to the property.

Comment

Electricity usage (and the cost thereof) is one thing.
                But, even if the mains are turned off, where does
                liability for the fixed daily (availability) charge lie?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                  Electricity usage (and the cost thereof) is one thing.
                  But, even if the mains are turned off, where does
                  liability for the fixed daily (availability) charge lie?
                  If no one is signed up to the property, line charges are not charged, but if there is electricity use during that period line charges are applicable and should be charged to whoever has consumed that power. In this case the hot water and a lamp burning away 24 hours a day undedected by the property owner, if I was the retailer I would be going after the property owner?

Comment

Gotta say I have done loads of renovations using the power initially for a nearly a week before the power company rings up and I change it to my name for the rest of the reno, as soon as it is over, I ring and get the final reading. Only get charged from when it its put into my name! Figure it is only a small amount and if they ask I'll tell them, but they never do.

Comment

I'm struggling to get the essence here: once the tenant leaves the owner switches the power off at the main meter - and noone is billed for line charges?

What if the owner uses a tiny amount - lights, vacuum but says nothing, there is no bill?

Comment

Originally posted by Winston001 View Post
                        I'm struggling to get the essence here: once the tenant leaves the owner switches the power off at the main meter - and noone is billed for line charges?

What if the owner uses a tiny amount - lights, vacuum but says nothing, there is no bill?
                        The retailer writes it off as loses and at the end of the day everyone pays by increased charges for the retailer to recover these losses

Comment

Or the retailer takes the final reading from the previous tenant as the starting point for the new user and the new tenant pays!

Comment

Hmmm...call me naive. At the moment my ownership flat is empty so I told Contact and they are billing me for any useage (negligible) plus line charges. Seems fair enough to me. I own the property, if the agents show tenants through they should be able to turn the lights on etc. So its my responsibility to keep the electricity connected.

Comment

I instruct my leaving tenants NOT to disconnect the power, as the reconnection costs can be prohibitive.

I inform the electricity supply company that I have taken over the power from xxxx day. I go to the dwelling and turn off the HWC and make sure all lights etc are off.

I await monthly power bill(s).

It is cheaper to pay line charges and minimal usage, than it is to re-connect the power.

And if you use the correct company and time it right, you will get the six monthly rebate back to your account. So in fact, the electricity company is paying you to use their electricity!!

Paying the difference between tenants is more often than not is negligible and is just the cost of doing business.

Stop being a tight with your money, wasting time arguing about a minimal cost and just pay the difference.

You're losing more money by having the place vacant.
                              Last edited by essence; 20-04-2012, 10:54 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
                              Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post
                                Stop being a tight with your money, wasting time arguing about a minimal cost and just pay the difference.

You're losing more money by having the place vacant.
                                Normally I too would take the same stance.....stop whinging and pay

BUT........the powercos are trying to interpret the law to suit themselves

When I had the "discussion" with my bosses re this point, I said that the judge would likely be quite terse.....and depending on his mood could be extremely terse

Well, the judge was exceedingly unimpressed with the brilliant reasoning of the powerco......i.e. someone needs to be billed and it should be the LL's responisibility to pick up such losses

Judge told the powerco involved to not waste the court's time....that they had their remedy.....i.e. disco the property

And that just because this would cost the powerco, this cost was an insufficient reason to totally rewrite the laws regarding contract

I repeat, for those who missed what I told my bosses.............

A person who is not party to a contract is NOT bound by it

The judge was of the same opinion
                                Last edited by Ahar; 20-04-2012, 06:03 PM. Reason: afterthought

Comment

Working...
                                X