Dodgy Developer and Sunset Clauses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy Developer and Sunset Clauses

Not sure if any of you have been following the news re a certain developer in Wellington. Basically Lance James has been building a development in Brooklyn with around 100 free standing houses. I looked at these in person and signed a purchase and sale agreement for one early in the year.

At the time I did some research and all I heard about this guy was bad. Even my lawyer advised against it. The property itself was superb and at circa $350k off the plans I would probably have made a good 60-80K by the time of completion. Anyway to cut a long story short I pulled out of the deal as the developer was involved in court cases with the council re consents and the like.

Just as well as it now appears that the developer has now used a sunset clause in the agreement to cancel most of the contracts, even on some properties that are finished and ready to be moved into. He used the sunset clause to renege on the deal by saying that the consents had not been agreed and changes had to be made to the plans etc (see the article http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3133468a11,00.html ). He will now re-sell these at the higher prices and take the profit from the capital gains himself.

This means that these purchasers who purchased off the plan at their own risk and who would have seen their properties grow by approx 90K in the year it has taken to build these now have nothing!. End result some very gutted purchasers.

Moral of the story sunset clauses can also be used by developers for their own gain. Make sure you get good legal advice and see if the clause can be worded for the purchasers interest rather than the developers like in this case!

Oh I am such a newby...... What on earth is a sunset clause.
    Counter cyclic means always swimming against the tide

Manawatu Property Investors' Association

Comment

Dodgy Developer and Sunset Clauses

My understanding of a "sunset clause" is that it is a date (usually in the future - e.g. 2 years from today) whereby a contract can be cancelled by the person/company selling the property/asset for a varierty of reasons....

Comment

Yep that is pretty much it. It's a clause designed to give some protection (usuallly for the purchaser) particularly for new developments. In this case the clause suggested that the contract could be cancelled if the property was not built to the agreed specifications within a certain time frame. (I think 2 years). However the developer has used it to take advantage of the capital gains achieved over the last 2 years and has cancelled the contract at the expense of the purchaser.

Comment

Now why would anyone in their right minds ever do business with this guy after word gets around!!?

Regards.

Comment

Marcus

You would think so wouldn't you. Except that all they do is close the company (and trading name) that they are operating under and start a new one. It's only when you do your proper due dilligence that you find out who is behind these developments.

I saw these properties advertised again and made contact with the original real estate agent I used to see if a new developer had taken over the development. (as I couldn't work out why so many were now available). He informed me that it was the same developer but said little else. I searched under his name and found the article on stuff.co.nz. I politely told the real estate I wouldn't want to take advantage of someone else's misfortune!

Comment

Working...
            X