• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pigs or people - what does it matter?"

From the Herald: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10420424

It made me chuckle!

Pigs may fly before people live in this converted sty again

A pig farmer converted a sty into four residential flats that she then rented out for $150 a week to Aucklanders desperate for accommodation.

In one of the most unusual tales to come from Auckland's super-heated housing market, a building where up to 150 piglets a week were born was turned into flats that were soon snapped up by eager tenants.

But, when the local council got wind of the unusual redevelopment, it was underwhelmed and took the owner to court.

"Pigs or people - what does it matter?" asked property owner Heather Graham, who said her lawyer was handling the legal action.

"The Waitakere City Council is splitting hairs."
    Ms Graham disputed the council's contention that she should not rent the former piggery to people and said she had created four superb flats near the waterfront at Whenuapai.

The case comes after the release yesterday of an international housing affordability study that found Auckland one of the world's most expensive cities - on a par with London.

The survey showed Aucklanders needed almost seven years' wages to buy a house, ranking the city at 29 in a list of 159.

Ms Graham said she was simply responding to market demand. She spent $15,000 on each unit, converting the piggery into four flats.

When the council discovered the renovations it prosecuted her, bringing charges claiming breaches of the Building and Resource Management Acts.

The case is due back in the Auckland District Court soon.

A council official said it was illegal for the former pig farrowing pens to be rented out for human habitation but, because the matter was still before the court, he could not comment further.

Ms Graham said the building was used for sows to have up to 150 piglets a week. She said she did not have permission for the building conversion, which she admitted was illegal. People no longer lived in the building.

"It was great, the places were nicely appointed and I'd have lived there myself," she said.

Eight years ago, she had the piggery walls lined, each place insulated and a new floor laid to create the studio units.

The last tenant left last year.

Waitakere City is also prosecuting another property owner, Phillip Neil Cottingham, over the conversion to residential use of a herb-drying shed and other buildings on Lone Kauri Rd, Karekare.

Mr Cottingham said he hoped to reach an agreement with the council. The case went before the Auckland District Court yesterday and was adjourned.
    There is a photo on the website.
    Last edited by BusyLizzy; 23-01-2007, 08:44 PM.
    Lisa

I've seen some tenanted properties not fit for a pig!!

Comment

BusyLizzy are you able to insert the correct link as that one is broken within the quote

Comment

Yep - sorry about that Whitt. They were just some advertising links that came through when I cut and pasted the content in - I'm sure they weren't there when I did the original post?! Anyhow - all fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.
        Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by pooomba View Post
          I've seen some tenanted properties not fit for a pig!!
          I have seen far more tenants that acted like pigs than properties that would be better to house pigs.

And as for sows having 150 piglets per week.
          What sort of sow produces like that.
          I think I will kick all the tenants out and go into pig farming. I have all the skills. Used to loud squeeling and all that.
          Good at carting muck to the tip several times a week and hosing down their pens.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
            And as for sows having 150 piglets per week.
            What sort of sow produces like that.
            Pity the poor boar.

Comment

Working...
            X