• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your 4 cents on relocating houses

Hi,
    I have a flat, accesible section which I hope to either
    relocate a house or build a kitset on. The section is based in Northern Wellington (very close to the Brittons yard). For those who have already undertaken similar projects, what are the pros/cons of relocating vs. kitset?
    Other questions:
    1)What should I be watching out for?
    2)Whats the relative project management difficulty involved in each?
    3)Once completed, I would like to hold the property as rental- which property buying structure should I use?
    4) Is financing done differently for the two options?
    5) Any good recommendations in the Wellington area for relevant tradesmen?
    6) Who does the best kit-set homes?

Thanks in advance,
    Shahil
    Last edited by shahil.nazia; 21-11-2006 at 03:48 PM. Reason: add more details

I haven't done one but was talking to a guy the other day who was a relocator (the hands on end of the deal) for 15 years. Says they only lost one house in all that time and it was a small house on a dodgy section. You hear horror stories but it sounds like you can pick your company and be certain that that stage of the project will go OK.

Bigger houses are easier apparantly.

There is a house in Kelburn wellington for relocation advertised Trade me this week. Has been 2 flats.
    Cheers Liz

True story,
    Mitre 10 dream homes new season in Whakatane .
    Flat section, ok
    Bring in two old houses from Kaiangaroa install on flat section. ok
    Rip of rotten weather boards, take of dodgie roof ,take off suspect rafters,remove substandard framing, whats left the floor
    Beware of what you puchase as i would think these guy did look at the houses before they transported them. This will be a very good deal for the contestants as they will get a new home from the floor up.
    I'm sick of the crumbs i want a piece of that pie

Default Pre Fabs

Because you have a flat accessible site one option you might want to consider is a pre-fabricated home. Similar to kitset but fully built offsite and then transported to your site. I am also in Wellington and I am researching this at the moment for my own situation. Some of the companies I have looked at so far are Sunshine Homes, Keith Hay Homes, A1 Homes, McRaeway Homes, and I am about to look at Versatile. All these companies have websites for initial research.
    The good thing is you can crunch the numbers as they supply price lists on request. Make sure you take into account what is incuded/excluded e.g. some prices include the foundation (generally piles) others don't.

Would like to hear how you go in further posts.

Default Kitset homes

Quote Originally Posted by walker01 View Post
    Because you have a flat accessible site one option you might want to consider is a pre-fabricated home. Similar to kitset but fully built offsite and then transported to your site. I am also in Wellington and I am researching this at the moment for my own situation. Some of the companies I have looked at so far are Sunshine Homes, Keith Hay Homes, A1 Homes, McRaeway Homes, and I am about to look at Versatile. All these companies have websites for initial research.
    The good thing is you can crunch the numbers as they supply price lists on request. Make sure you take into account what is incuded/excluded e.g. some prices include the foundation (generally piles) others don't.

Would like to hear how you go in further posts.
    HI walker,
    can you keep me posted on what your research shows up, and what company you go with (and the reasons for this). what area are you looking at relocating in and can you give an estimation of costs involved so that I can get a better understanding.

cheers,
    shahil

I will keep you posted but as I am just in the process of looking for a suitable section it could be a while before any activity happens.

Hiya Shahil

Can be tricky with the finance. You want to make sure the lender knows exactly what you are doing. Lenders don't usually like relocatables or kitset as you have only pieces of a house to pay for before construction. You may have to use your own equity first before the banks money. Get yourself a good broker and make sure you know how the lender is going to release the funds.

Thanks for your input guys! Appreciate it :-)

shahil

Thread Information